Author Topic: Wessington - Bedlam Yard  (Read 6595 times)

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wessington - Bedlam Yard
« on: Friday 03 July 09 17:29 BST (UK) »
This may be a long shot, but does anyone have any information about an area of Wessington that used to be called 'Bedlam Yard'? It's not there now, having been overbuilt years ago I guess.

A number of my FLINT ancestors used to live there, and having seen various Census descriptions of their occupations and status, it is perhaps justified to say that Bedlam Yard's residents were not the wealthiest folks around.

I would be grateful for any information on this area, and I guess photographs may be too much to hope for, but finding someone who knows more about Bedlam Yard than me would be encouraging.

Your hopefully,

Alan
FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Wessington - Bedlam Yard
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 10:31 BST (UK) »
Alan, Why not email the Local Studies Library closest to that area and ask them what they have on Bedlam Yard?

charlotte

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 10:37 BST (UK) »
Alan, it existed in 1911, and on the earlier census was next but one on the listing to the Three Horse Shoes, so could now be the little estate at the rear. it appeared to have about 12 dwellings by the number of families.
As well as  what charlotteCH suggests, there is also Old-maps worth a look at.

Skewy.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 10:51 BST (UK) »
Alan, Skewy's idea is a good one.

It is really worthwhile spending the time (and it can be very time consuming) looking at the census and following the enumerator's path to try to narrow down where Bedlam Yard used to be. Look at the neighbours, take note of their addresses, and you should eventually come across a street or landmark that still exists today. Then you can compare an old map of the area with a map of today.

It can also be worth using this technique on more than one census, as some censuses are easier to follow and include more recognisable landmarks than others.

Best of luck. If you have any problems let me know the census ref numbers of your Flints and I will have a look for you.

Offline skewbald

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 11:44 BST (UK) »

Alan, you asked if it were a poor area, well by the jobs it was normal for the time I think.
 Wessington had a coal mine back then (hard to imagine now) and wondered if it were a company housing scheme. In 1901 all heads of house in employment are in the mining industry.

Skewy

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 14:54 BST (UK) »
http:/www.aboutderbyshire.co.uk/cms/places/wessington.shtml

gives a little history of Wessington

and mentions friday yard which I am led to believe was close to Bedlam yard

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline CrichCarr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 23:17 BST (UK) »
charlotteCH, skewbald, Ruskie, suzard, et al

I am deeply grateful to you all for taking the time to reply to my earlier enquiry concerning Bedlam Yard in Wessington. With the advice you have all given I ought to be able to pin Bedlam Yard down so-to-speak. It might take me a day or two (or three), but just as soon as I have any news, or further information I will post what I have been able to discover.

Many thanks again,

Alan
FLINT, ALLEN, SHIPLEY, SIMS, RADFORD, BUNTING, ALLSOP

Offline linsan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 01 July 12 20:03 BST (UK) »
This may be a long shot, but does anyone have any information about an area of Wessington that used to be called 'Bedlam Yard'? It's not there now, having been overbuilt years ago I guess.

A number of my FLINT ancestors used to live there, and having seen various Census descriptions of their occupations and status, it is perhaps justified to say that Bedlam Yard's residents were not the wealthiest folks around.

I would be grateful for any information on this area, and I guess photographs may be too much to hope for, but finding someone who knows more about Bedlam Yard than me would be encouraging.

Your hopefully,

Alan

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 01 July 12 23:01 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat linsan.

I'm afraid you have just quoted Alan's original post but have not made any comment yourself. Perhaps you would like to try again.  ;)

To reply to a post just click on the word "Post" which you will see in the bar along the bottom of the page, and write what you wish to say into the box, then click "Save" which you will see just below the box you have typed in.

Good luck.