Author Topic: Dale & Sons Grantham  (Read 5362 times)

Offline Earlybird29

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dale & Sons Grantham
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 28 April 18 19:56 BST (UK) »
Oh how lovely to hear from you! Yes we are indeed related. I have visited Great Uncle Ernie's grave in France, he is in a cemetery just outside St. Pol near Arras. I took some photos of his grave that I will have to dig out. I have a feeling that Ernie (Ernest) wasn't his real first name but his middle name - but I might be wrong. Somewhere I have his last letter that he wrote to my grandmother thanking her for the knitted socks she sent to him.

I live in Peterborough so not far from you and it would be great to meet up sometime and share some of our memories of the family. It was Great Uncle Dick I think that lived in Harrowby Road where we used to visit. My parents were very close to Phyllis and Tom for many years - Phyllis was Dick's daughter and I think was one of the last Aunt's remaining. My mother (Joan) and father (Ken) died in 2001 and my father's sister, Joan the year after. I have a remaining cousin but we aren't that close although he lives in Peterborough too.

I have an ambition to visit the Mountains of Mourn and try and find out more about my great grandmother as she must have come across on one of the "famine ships" I think - so there is probably a ship's list with her name on it somewhere.

My father was interested in genealogy but tended to concentrate more on his father's side of the family but he went back to the 18th century. I will have to search out his drawings to see if there is a tree with my grandmother's side of the family.

One thing I do remember as a young child - it was my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary and Auntie Alice was staying with them overnight. The next morning though they found her dead in bed. It was a very harrowing time. I remember going to the 50th wedding anniversary party that they held (probably in the Baptist church hall).

Apparently now I've posted 3 times I can PM someone so I will try and do that with my contact details. I only joined this site because I saw someone was talking about the ginger jar and then I came across your posting.

Best Wishes
Lorraine

Offline SH46-51

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 28 April 18 20:35 BST (UK) »
Ernie was John Ernest Dale.  We too have been to his grave.  A wonderfully peaceful area isn't it
though hard to find. and have photos.  I have also the embroidered Xmas cards he sent to his little
niece - my mother, and the photo taken when he was commissioned.  Some years ago we went to
the Essex regimental museum to read the war diary.
I have pictures of Alice as girl; what a sad end and at such a time.
Our daughter will be fascinated about all this.  She has been buying Dale bottles for years but not
aware of this site.
We had better start looking at diaries and find out at what point we can disclose personal data.
Kindest regards
John

Offline Earlybird29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 29 April 18 20:13 BST (UK) »
Here is a photo showing George W. Dale with his wife and 9 children. My grandmother Millicent (Milly) is seated to the right hand side at the front.

Offline titch8000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 August 20 15:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine, long time no see. Last time was a visit to Croxton Kerrial when you were about 10. It was my grandfather, David Dale who lived at 230 Harrowby Road, not Dick. I was born at 240 Harrowby Road in front of the pop factory

Offline titch8000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 14 August 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
I have the same picture and also one of George and his wife with my grandfather (David) as a baby. I also have a picture of my grandfather posing in front of his mineral water lorry

Offline Waylander7507

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 19 March 21 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi. I have only just picked this message string up. My Grandfather was Richard Dale, Major of Grantham, his daughter, Vera was my mother. I have never seen a picture of other family members, so this was great to see. I was trying to identify my grandfather but not sure. My cousin has two Dale Brothers stone jars and I have looked all over for another but never found one. Do you have any other family picture.