Author Topic: John CARR marriage c 1832 Lane End? COMPLETE Thank you  (Read 14919 times)

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John CARR marriage c 1832 Lane End? COMPLETE Thank you
« on: Friday 03 July 09 20:49 BST (UK) »
Sorry if this is a repeat request, PC gave me an error report.

Looking for the marriage of John Carr to Sophia (surname unknown)

Their first child was Martha baptised 24 February 1833 Lane End

1841 through to 1871 census John and Sophia are in Wycombe, Bucks.

1881 Sophia now a widow John having died 1880, she is at Lane End, Ditchfield

With those stats I would assume they married in the area.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Ceeoh

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Carr marriage c 1832 Lane End?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 July 09 23:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Ceeoh,

The church of Lane End Holy Trinity was opened in 1832 with the first marriage taking place on 23 December 1832 between John Cutler and Mary Keen. John did not marry here.

If you need more info then here is some:
Martha b. 24 Jan 1833
George b. 11 Nov 1835
William b. 2 Jul 1838
Helen b. 31 Jul 1841
John b. 16 Feb 1844
Charles b. 20 Jul 1847
Anne b. 14 Jan 1851

John's occupation was Labourer, his address Ditchfield Common

Sophia Carr was buried 20 Oct 1884 at Lane End, aged 79 of HWycombe
John carr was buried 2 Oct 1880 at Lane End, aged 77 of Ditchfield Common

This seems to be George (the son)'s marrige at Lane End:

George CARR, full age, bachelor, Labourer of Lane End, son of John Carr, Bricklayer married Ruth X TAYLOR, full age, spinster of Lane End, daughter of Charles Taylor, deceased, Labourer Witnesses: William Carr, John Harding Sharp

Notes: Banns not found

William X CARR, 24, bachelor, Chairmaker of Lane End, son of John Carr, Bricklayer married Elisabeth BLACKWELL, 19, spinster, Lacemaker of Lane End, daughter of Richard Blackwell, Wheelwright by Banns Witnesses: Thomas Fletcher, Sarah Blackwell

John X CARR, 22, bachelor, Chairmaker of Lane End, son of John Carr, Bricklayer married Hannah X OXLADE, 22, spinster, Lacemaker of Lane End, daughter of William Oxlade, Brickmaker by Banns Witnesses: Daniel X Oxlade, Jane X Oxlade

Charles BIRD, 22, bachelor, Chairmaker of Lane End, son of Joseph Bird, Tailor married Ann CARR, 20, spinster of Lane End, daughter of John Carr, Bricklayer by Banns Witnesses: Frederick Goodchild, Sarah Jane Gray

Matt
Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 July 09 23:42 BST (UK) »
Sorry I had to do this in two messages internet playing up.

Daniel X OXLADE, full age, bachelor, Brickmaker of Wheeler End, son of William Oxlade, Brickmaker married Ellen X CARR, full age, spinster, Lacemaker of Ditchfield, daughter of John Carr, Bricklayer by Banns Witnesses: John Carr, Hannah Oxlade

Oh and now i realise I forgot to put on the dates for the marriages:
11 Dec 1858
23 sep 1862
11 Mar 1866
24 Oct 1871
21 Mar 1863

And I can find these as their kids:

Baptism  15 Feb 1863   Elizabeth Ellen daughter of William & Elizabeth CARR of Ditchfields, Chairmaker

Baptism  15 Jul 1860   Jane daughter of George & Ruth CARR of Speen, Bucks, Labourer

Again internet playing up so will have to finish for tonight.

Hope this helps
Matt

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 July 09 23:59 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all the info most appreciated.  1881 shows Sophia as born West Wycombe, Bucks.  If John and Sophia married prior to the opening of Lane End Holy Trinity can you suggest where they might have married please as it appears their children were baptised at Lane End and I see John and Sophia were buried there.  Lane End seems to have played a major part in their lives and those of their children.

I don't know the area at all.

Someone sent me an IGI reference C109691 but I don't know what it refers to and John and Sophia don't appear to be on the IGI.

Would love to know Sophia's maiden name and the date they married!

Regards
Margaret (Ceeoh)

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 July 09 08:50 BST (UK) »
Margaret,

Lane End was (it is now a parish from 1968) a village fromed out of the parishes of Great Marlow (about 4 Miles away from Lane end), Lewknor Uphill (a detatched part of Oxon), Fingest (2 miles away), West Wycombe (about 2-3 miles away) and Hambleden (about 4 miles away). Other nearby villages are Moor Common, Bolter; Cadmore; Wheeler; Moor; and Bourne Ends, Booker and Frieth.

I think this could be their marriage but it could be a bit early...

John Carr & Sophia Easden 07 Aug 1825 West Wycombe Bucks.

Also any children born before 1832 would be on the census returns, wouldn't they... unless Martha was the first and they just waited. There are no children of this couple baptised at West Wycombe.

I checked the Fingest Parish Registers and could not find the marriage. If they lived at Ditchfield (South Lane End) they could have married nearer Hambleden. But still it could have taken place at West Wycombe, Great Marlow or High Wycombe.

The Igi refrerence is for Lane End Baptisms... IF you google 'IGI batch' and there should be a link near the top saying 'Counties in England'. Follow Buckingham and then scroll down to whatever parish. If you see the batch number you are looking for then click on it and in the new window type in the surname you want.

Sophia Easdon was baptised at West Wycombe on 20 July 1806, Daughter of William and Charlotte Easden. That could correspond with the marriage at West Wycombe, but Sophia would be quite young.

Where was John born?

Matt

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 July 09 12:08 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Matt.

Oh, if only I had realised!!  I was in Milton Keynes March to May this year and now looking at the map realise the area was well within visiting distance.  Did something like this on my last visit too - was within half a mile of Shoeburyness and only realised when we returned here that was where George Carr and family lived and Emma Carr (hubby's grandma) married.

Sophia Easden sounds like a good prospect - I usually only have access to census index (other than 1881 on CD) but they reflect her birth as 1806/1807.

Perhaps they had children died in infancy - (or were not baptised?). If this is the correct marriage Sophia would have been about 20 when they wed - seems rather a long time to 1833 before the family arrived (for those days anyway).

Sorry, don't know where John was born - however - I think I have four credits left on my 1911 voucher, I will have a look at 1851, hopefully it will give John's birthplace and any children remaining at home - but probably not those born 1825 - 1833!

Very many thanks,

Margaret

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 July 09 12:35 BST (UK) »
Margaret,

1841 Census
Lane End, Great Marlow
CARR, John M 35  1806 Ag Lab Buckinghamshire
CARR, Sophia F 35  1806  Buckinghamshire
CARR, Emma F 15  1826  Buckinghamshire
CARR, James M 13  1828  Buckinghamshire
CARR, Eliza F 10  1831  Buckinghamshire 
CARR, Martha F 8  1833  Buckinghamshire
CARR, George M 5  1836  Buckinghamshire
CARR, William M 2  1839  Buckinghamshire

Right so John Carr and Sophia Easdon is the correct one. They had Emma James and Eliza before Martha.

Emma baptised 1 Jan 1826 at Great Marlow. I cannot find James and Eliza's baptisms. The Great Marlow Registers on the IGI aren't complete enough.

1851 Census
Ditchfields, Gt Marlow
CARR, John Head Married M 45  1806 Bricklayer Gt. Hasley Oxfordshire
CARR, Sophia Wife Married F 44  1807 Lacemaker Wycombe Buckinghamshire
CARR, Eliza Daughter Unmarried F 20  1831 Lacemaker Gt Marlow Buckinghamshire
CARR, Ann Daughter  F   Gt. Marlow Buckinghamshire
CARR, George Son  M 15  1836 Bricklayer  Gt. Marlow Buckinghamshire
CARR, Ellen Daughter  F 9  1842 Lacemaker Gt. Marlow Buckinghamshire
CARR, John Son  M 7  1844 Scholar Gt. Marlow Buckinghamshire
CARR, Charles Son  M 3  1848 Gt. Marlow Buckinghamshire

So there we are. Sophia was Easden and John was born in Oxfordshire.

Matt

Offline Ceeoh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 July 09 12:47 BST (UK) »
Wonderful!  Very many thanks Matt your help really is appreciated and we now have a much more complete picture of my husband's g-g-grandparents the Carr family - where they lived, where they came from, what they did for a living.  Thank you.

Regards
Margaret

Offline matt94

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 July 09 12:57 BST (UK) »
Margaret,

Marriage 16 May 1853   by Banns
                       James CARR, aged fa, Bachelor of Lane End, Labourer son of John Carr, Bricklayer
                       Mary Ann X DAFTER, aged 19, Spinster of Lane End daughter of Thomas Dafter, Labourer
                       Witnesses John Bird Eliza Bird 

Baptism  12 Feb 1854   Richard born 18 Jan son of James & Mary Ann CARR of Ditchfield, Labourer
Baptism  22 Jun 1873   Annie Alice daughter of James & Mary Ann CARR of Bermondsey, SE, Publican

I can't be sure it's the same couple but the names fit?

~~~~

John BIRD, full age, bachelor, Chairmaker of Lane End, son of James Bird, Baker married Eliza CARR, full age, spinster of Lane End, daughter of John Carr, Bricklayer by Banns Witnesses: Caroline Gill, James Gill

also I think John and Sophia might have had an older
Josiah CARR, full age, bachelor, Shoemaker of Lane End, son of John Carr, Labourer married Charlotte X HAMBLEDEN, full age, widow of Lane End, daughter of Elijah Willis, Labourer by Banns Witnesses: Josiah Carr, John H Sharp

Matt