Author Topic: Cambrian and/or Gaol look-up KEARNEY  (Read 2515 times)

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Cambrian and/or Gaol look-up KEARNEY
« on: Saturday 04 July 09 11:45 BST (UK) »
I know the Irish had a bad reputation in south Wales - need to check whether my in-law ancestors were among the naughty ones!

Please could I have a look up of the following, either in the actual newspaper article or gaol calendars, referred to in the Cambrian indexes:

05 April 1878 Quarter Sessions:
James KEARNEY, aged 49, Labourer
Stole clothing from Neath Guardians
Punishment: 8 months hard labour, P7

01 July 1881 Glamorgan Sessions:
Honora KEARNEY
Charged with receiving goods belonging to William JENKINS, of Neath
Punishment: 12 months hard labour

They both seemed to survive the experience at any rate!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Arranroots  ;)

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Cambrian and/or Gaol look-up KEARNEY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 July 09 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots,

I can look up the Cambrian entries for you on Wednesday. There might not be any additional info on them, so don't expect too much, they tend to be quite sparce - but worth a look.

Bev.  :)
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Ruth T

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Great great grandmother Ann David
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 July 09 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Arranroots

I did a quick search of 19th c Newspapers.  There were three reports in the Western Mail and the Bristol Mercury and Daily Post for Honora's misdemeanors. Have you seen them?

Best wishes

Ruth

Jones, Maesyward, WSD, Glam
Thomas, Wern Fawr, WSD, Glam
Christopher, Llantrithyd, Glam
Hopkin, St Hilary, Glam
Williams, Alltlas, Peterston, Glam
Tudor, Llandyfodwg & Llansannor
Thomas, Llwyncrwn, Llantrisant
Sands, Llandough-juxta-Cowbridge, Glam

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 July 09 09:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Both

Bev - that would be very kind, if Ruth's findings don't solve the issue before then - thanks.  Are the gaol calendars in the same location?

Ruth - no, haven't seen them.  I'm embarrassed to ask but is there somewhere I should have looked before posting?   :-[ ;D

I am trying to establish a link between this couple (?) and a William KEARNEY who I believe to be their son.  If I have the correct folk, they will be from Dublin and Tipperary respectively, although a couple of their children were born in London.

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards, Arranroots  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
SOM: BIRD, BURT aka BROWN - HEF: BAUGH, LATHAM, CARTER, PRITCHARD - GLS: WEBB, WORKMAN, LATHAM, MALPUS - WIL: WEBB, SALTER - RAD: PRITCHARD, WILLIAMS - GLA: RYAN, KEARNEY, JONES, HARRY - MON: WEBB, MORGAN, WILLIAMS, JONES, BIRD - SCOTLAND: HASTINGS, CAMERON, KELSO, BUCHANAN, BETHUNE/ BEATON - IRELAND: RYAN (WATERFORD), KEARNEY (DUBLIN), BOYLE(DUNDALK)

Offline bevbee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 July 09 09:43 BST (UK) »
I understand the gaol records are in the archives so I can check them at the same time. The Western Mail is in the library along with the Cambrian so that won't be a problem either.

B.  :)
Ambrose; Llandilofawr, Pennsylvania.
Grindley; Llandilofawr, Ohio, Louisiana, Washington DC.
Rees(e); Pennsylvania.
Lewis, Llandilofawr.

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 July 09 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bev - sounds great!  :D

I'm worried though that I should have checked online - does Ruth mean Gale newspapers, I'm wondering

Offline Ruth T

• RootsChat Extra
  • My Great great grandmother Ann David
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 July 09 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Both

The 19c Newspaper site of the British Library can be found at http://newspapers.bl.uk/blcs  You have to pay for access but I'll pm the details I found regarding Honora Kearney.

Best wishes

Ruth
Jones, Maesyward, WSD, Glam
Thomas, Wern Fawr, WSD, Glam
Christopher, Llantrithyd, Glam
Hopkin, St Hilary, Glam
Williams, Alltlas, Peterston, Glam
Tudor, Llandyfodwg & Llansannor
Thomas, Llwyncrwn, Llantrisant
Sands, Llandough-juxta-Cowbridge, Glam

Offline Arranroots

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 July 09 10:48 BST (UK) »
That's very generous of you, thanks Ruth.

:)

Offline bernard_lewis

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 July 09 20:42 BST (UK) »
'Stole clothing from the Neath Guardians' - this usually meant that the person was an inmate of the local workhouse and absconded in the uniform that was required to be worn to indicate that the wearer was a pauper (it was hoped that the associated stigma of obvious pauperism (plus the arduous nature and poor diet of 'indoor relief') would deter people from entering the workhouse. And thus keep the costs of their maintenance off the local poor rates).

'Absconding' might mean simply leaving the workhouse without observing the proper procedure to 'run away' (to a nearby parish or town) or it might simply be that that a pauper - allowed out on an errand - failed to return at the appointed time.

The Guardians were actually keen to see paupers leave and leaving in itself was not an offence. But failing to return when dressed in the union garb was treated as an offence.

My book on the Swansea Workhouse covers this.

Bernard

Author 'Swansea and the Workhouse - the Poor Law in 19th century Swansea' (2003); 'Swansea Pals - the 14th (Service) Battalion, the Welsh Regiment in the Great War' (2004); 'Foul Deeds and Suspicious Deaths Around Swansea''. (2009); 'Swansea in the Great War' ( 2014); 'Neath! Neath! Neath! The Record-Breaking 1988/89 Season' (2016). My blog: https://bernardlewisauthor.wordpress.com/