Author Topic: Grundy or Grove St Poplar  (Read 12159 times)

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
Re: Grundy or Grove St Poplar
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 19:32 BST (UK) »
There is a Grove Street on this map http://archivemaps.com/mapco/cross1861/cross32.htm

It is Bygrove Street in my Victorian A to Z dated 1888

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline paul*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 21:57 BST (UK) »
I used to live near this area during the 60s, but the Grundy Street area always seemed to be modern housing. I remember that northwards from here to the Limehouse Cut were nearly all maisonettes and low rise flats, although I remember old buildings in Arcadia Street as I used to play in Barlett Park thereabouts. Strangely the Victorian housing in the area to the east of the NL railway lasted longest, I still remember Victorian terraces in streets long disappeared. Progress being progress, even some of the high rise flats of my youth no longer exist now.

Thanks Ruskie for the link to those 1872 maps, a bit early to show the full extent of the streets as I knew them, but very interesting nonetheless. Compare and contrast with this http://www.mernick.org.uk//elhs/maps/bp1882.htm and the more modern http://www.mernick.org.uk//elhs/maps/bp1952.htm 

HAMMERTON: Berks/Bucks/Marylebone
BANCROFT/PEACH/WOODWARD: Derby
MILLER/RANDALL: Ixworth/Pakenham
POLLARD: Ixworth/Chelsea/Paddington
KING/BOOTH: Crowland/Peterborough
CLAYTON/TRATT: Holborn/Clerkenwell
DE{U/I}T{S}CHMAN{N}: Russia/Whitechapel/Spitalfields

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 22:56 BST (UK) »
That's a much better map Sylviaann. Perhaps not quite so much detail as the other one, but a lot clearer and more user friendly. I notice that some of the street names are different again. Yes, so Bygrove and Grove are one and the same. Thank goodness for that.  ;D

Paul, if you look at Google streetview you can see some of the modern housing you mention. Bartlett Park didn't exist in that early map - it was housing if my memory serves me correctly.

I am wondering if the area suffered bomb damage in the war, hence the extensive rebuild.

Hazel, I think you can enlarge that Booth's map. I also think there is a larger version somewhere else. I will try to find it.

Offline paul*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 07 July 09 23:28 BST (UK) »
I remembered the area was redeveloped as the Lansbury Estate, there's an interesting, albeit wordy write-up here http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=46490

Ruskie, I've been looking at the StreetView, fascinating to walk in this area again. All the streets, houses and shops that have disappeared, even in my lifetime. There was a lot of bomb damage , as you say (near to the docks etc.) we all used to play on the resulting 'debris'. I love looking at all these old maps, pity there's very few photos of these 'backstreets'.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 00:03 BST (UK) »
I love comparing the old and the new maps - it's fascinating. (And I don't have any personal attachment to the area). I agree that it is sad that there are so few photos of the old streets. I suppose many of them were poorer housing so nobody thought it worth photgraphing.

By contrast, there are some fabulous photographs of old Liverpool streets which were photographed before the houses were demolished - very sad. All character lost ...

I will read up on the Lansbury Estate now ...  :)

Offline Hazel17

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I will translate Welsh to English on request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the interest in my question. It is a shame no photos exist.

Looking at the maps I have noticed other Poplar Sts that are in my tree - Lochangar, Oban, Leven. I have also noticed that very near Leven Road there is a Gas Company. My great-great grandfather lived in that road in 1891 and he was later a gas fitter - I wonder if the company was there in 1891 and if he possibly worked there? One to think about for me I think.
Rolph/Bird/Hilliard Writtle & Highwood Essex
Lister/Fitch/Kitteridge/Coote  Ashdon Essex
Coote Castle Camps Essex
Jones Kirby le Soken Essex
Kinch London/Swanbourne Bucks/Oxon
Burt Winfrith Newburgh, Dorset
Smith/Bant  Birmingham
Weatherill London/York
Hill/Habershon Sheffield
Roberts - London
Stringer - Leicester
Frost Castleton Derbys
Hall Wirksworth Derby
Allcock/Parkes Calton, Staffs
Meisenheimer Germany
Crossley/Adams Hidcote, Gloucs
R(o)ycroft Brown Malpas
Pratley BurfordOx

Offline paul*

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you for all the interest in my question. It is a shame no photos exist.

I found a token photo of some houses in Bygrove Street.. http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=46593 right at the bottom of the page.

Looking at the maps I have noticed other Poplar Sts that are in my tree - Lochangar, Oban, Leven. I have also noticed that very near Leven Road there is a Gas Company.

Nearly all the streets hereabouts were named with a Scottish theme. The Gasholders in Leven Road were quite a landmark in the area. I knew the road well as the local bus station/garage used to be at the top end. The gas company was North Thames Gas I think, ships used to unload coal in the small docks on the River Lea behind the works.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 08 July 09 23:55 BST (UK) »
Paul I enjoyed reading the previous link about the redevelopment of the Lansbury Estate. It seems many of the same questions existed post war about redevelopment as today when redevelopment occurs. It seems that although there was some bombing in the area, that this redevelopment went further and many of the old terraces must have been destroyed which is a shame. As you said, it has been redeveloped again - so they mustn't have got it right the first time.  ;) Interesting article.

Good to see some picures from the area!  :D As expected the houses in Bygrove Street are quite substantial and desirable. What a lovely street it must have been before the bombing and "redevelopment". A lot nicer than what is there now ... (sorry Paul  ;)). If only they hadn't messed with it ....

Hazel, I believe many workers lived close to their place of work (and walked to work) so it's highly likey your gggrandfather worked at the gas works (if it was there at that time). A great deal is to be learned from looking at old maps.

Offline Hazel17

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I will translate Welsh to English on request.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 09 July 09 19:33 BST (UK) »
A photo - how brilliant Paul!!  ;D Thank you

One day when I have time on my hands (summer holidays coming soon as I am a teacher) I will have to see if there are any records of employees that may have survived from the gas works. He is just a fitter on that census when he lived in Leven Road but seeing as he was a gas fitter 10 years later it's not too much of a stretch.
Rolph/Bird/Hilliard Writtle & Highwood Essex
Lister/Fitch/Kitteridge/Coote  Ashdon Essex
Coote Castle Camps Essex
Jones Kirby le Soken Essex
Kinch London/Swanbourne Bucks/Oxon
Burt Winfrith Newburgh, Dorset
Smith/Bant  Birmingham
Weatherill London/York
Hill/Habershon Sheffield
Roberts - London
Stringer - Leicester
Frost Castleton Derbys