Author Topic: Vessel Indian Queen Passenger List help plse.  (Read 13332 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vessel Indian Queen Passenger List help plse.
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 16 July 09 07:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Tiff

I suppose you know of this list of Paddy's?  If the Indian Queen which arrived Jan 1857 is your voyage he may be able to help.

http://www.familytreecircles.com/journal_16802.html

Hi David

I'm obviously not "Tiff" to whom your message was addressed, but I'd like to "drop in" with my penny's worth.    ;)

The link you've provided which mentions the "Indian Queen" states that "I HAVEN'T GOT lists for the following ... "  (and that includes the "Indian Queen"). 

[Incidentally, the person behind  this "Shipping Lists to Wellington" website, published a message in this forum some time back.   I wouldn't ever want to be seen as "rubbishing" the efforts involved in providing such helpful information,  BUT ... the great majority of the passenger lists on that site are already available elsewhere, and are much more easily accessed by researchers, ...  e.g. they don't require an email to be sent to the lists' owner in order to obtain the information !    Problems arise too when "owners" of these "closed" shipping lists, fail to update any changes to their email addresses ! ]

Lu
        ~  in NZ

Offline williamscdr

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 16 July 09 17:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Tiff

I suppose you know of this list of Paddy's?  If the Indian Queen which arrived Jan 1857 is your voyage he may be able to help.

http://www.familytreecircles.com/journal_16802.html

Hi David

I'm obviously not "Tiff" to whom your message was addressed, but I'd like to "drop in" with my penny's worth.    ;)

The link you've provided which mentions the "Indian Queen" states that "I HAVEN'T GOT lists for the following ... "  (and that includes the "Indian Queen"). 

[Incidentally, the person behind  this "Shipping Lists to Wellington" website, published a message in this forum some time back.   I wouldn't ever want to be seen as "rubbishing" the efforts involved in providing such helpful information,  BUT ... the great majority of the passenger lists on that site are already available elsewhere, and are much more easily accessed by researchers, ...  e.g. they don't require an email to be sent to the lists' owner in order to obtain the information !    Problems arise too when "owners" of these "closed" shipping lists, fail to update any changes to their email addresses ! ]

Lu
        ~  in NZ

Hi Lu

Yes I saw that the list and the comment about those being the ones he hadn't got, but he laos says that if the list required isn't on the link then assume he has got it.

So I thought if the Indian Q passenger list required wasn't the one that arrive Jan 1857, then perhaps he may have the list with "Nairn" on it - hope that makes sense

Reagrds

David

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 17 July 09 01:15 BST (UK) »
Cheers David   :)

The "Indian Queen" passenger list being sought in the thread is for the voyage which commenced 1856, arrived Wellington, NZ 30 January 1857.

This vessel made just the one trip to New Zealand.

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 July 09 13:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Tiffaney

I've now managed to gather further information for the "Indian Queen" 1856-57 voyage ... it is NOT however a passenger list, as one seemingly does not exist.   

All Archives New Zealand hold, is a "Bills Payable" list (Promissory notes) which includes the names of almost all of the "heads of families" and on this I found the name of James NAIRN.     It shows that he was still owing his fare (or part thereof) and fares for FOUR other family members.   (No names stated and amounts owing, not recorded).    The list would have been prepared at the port of departure.

I still have two newspapers to search further (they're not on PapersPast) but don't hold a lot of hope of finding the actual passenger list.     All I've seen to date, recorded, is that there were 22 deaths aboard the "Indian Queen" - can't find anything relating to births on board.

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 20 July 09 13:27 BST (UK) »
For babclive

Can't really help you any further with finding the "mystery" daughter (aged 28 in 1901) of Rebecca and John GLOVER.

I wonder if it is an error on the death cert ?     (Only four daughters were mentioned in the obituary notice ... it seems odd that one would be left out ?)     And if Rebecca was indeed 78 years of age when she died, then the last daughter would have been born when Rebecca was aged 50 !   (Not impossible, but perhaps unlikely?)     I guess only the birth cert. for Fanny GLOVER will confirm.

Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 20 July 09 13:40 BST (UK) »

For babclive

As in my earlier message for Tiffaney, I have a list of promissory notes for the "Indian Queen" voyage (ex Archives NZ).

John GLOVER is listed as owing payment for his own fare and for those of FOUR other family members.    There was also another entry for a further single fare owed by John GLOVER - this was listed on a sheet entitled "miscellaneous entries":

There was only one person named WALKER on the voyage - namely Thomas WALKER.

Lu

Offline Thamesite2017

• I have turned off all email notifications
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 20 July 09 18:39 BST (UK) »
Re the Fanny Glover mention
there are possibly more than one
note that one was born 1873
1873/4483 Glover  Fanny 

there is also a married Fanny glover (widow) with a probate
Bye
Althea

Offline Tiffaney

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 02:07 BST (UK) »
Hi again Tiffaney

Sorry  ... should have added also, that your NAIRN family DO NOT (unfortunately) appear on the Wellington - arrivals, card index.   :(

Lu

Many thanks Lu.....did you do that lookup for me.  Thank you so much, that was very thoughtful of you.
Tiff
Caithness: Sutherland (2 families)
Perthshire: McLauchlan, Galletly. Dunn. Mill 
Glasgow: Paisley: Gilmour; Fillans
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing
Devon: Moore, Gempton, Copp, Boone, Carter, Lee, Gill,
London:  Laver, Rix, Nightingale,Hartley, Mason,Satchell.
Nottingham: Bomforth, Shaw
Australia: Graham, Tattersall, Galletly
Ireland: Angland

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly

Offline Tiffaney

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Tiffaney

I've now managed to gather further information for the "Indian Queen" 1856-57 voyage ... it is NOT however a passenger list, as one seemingly does not exist.   

All Archives New Zealand hold, is a "Bills Payable" list (Promissory notes) which includes the names of almost all of the "heads of families" and on this I found the name of James NAIRN.     It shows that he was still owing his fare (or part thereof) and fares for FOUR other family members.   (No names stated and amounts owing, not recorded).    The list would have been prepared at the port of departure.

I still have two newspapers to search further (they're not on PapersPast) but don't hold a lot of hope of finding the actual passenger list.     All I've seen to date, recorded, is that there were 22 deaths aboard the "Indian Queen" - can't find anything relating to births on board.

Lu

Lu what you have found above is great...at least it confirms they were on that trip.  Very pleased and have now printed it off.
Thank you very much for your time & effort,
warm regards,
Tiff
Caithness: Sutherland (2 families)
Perthshire: McLauchlan, Galletly. Dunn. Mill 
Glasgow: Paisley: Gilmour; Fillans
Orkney: Shearer, Peace, Laughton,Scott,Craigie, Sinclair, Tulloch, Spence, Laing
Devon: Moore, Gempton, Copp, Boone, Carter, Lee, Gill,
London:  Laver, Rix, Nightingale,Hartley, Mason,Satchell.
Nottingham: Bomforth, Shaw
Australia: Graham, Tattersall, Galletly
Ireland: Angland

N.Z: McLauchlan, Sutherland, Shearer,  Rix, Moore, Hartley,Mason, Gilmour, Bomforth,  Dunn, Galletly