Author Topic: Bevan Orcop/Garway Herefordshire  (Read 9204 times)

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Bevan Orcop/Garway Herefordshire
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 July 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
Isabella seems to have had quite a few siblings; have you traced all of them through the 1881 census to see if Isabella and baby William are living with them?

1861 Orcop
John Beavan junior  H  Mar  45  Labourer
Eliza Beavan W  Mar  39
Unis Beavan  Dau  13
Eliza Beavan  Dau  10
Joseph Beavan  Son  8
Allis Beavan  Dau  5
Isabella Beavan  Dau  2

All born Orcop

NEXT DOOR TO
John Beavan  senior  H  Mar  70  Lab  bn Orcop
Ann Beavan  w  Mar  69  bn How Caple, Herefordshire
Amos Beavan  son  22  Labourer  bn Orcop

RG9; Piece: 1823; Folio: 72; Page: 10

Offline hodgy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 July 09 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi

Isabella's marriage certificate gives her age ag 24 and she married in December 1884 so her birth might be 1860. The birth certificate I ordered for March quarter of 1859 is for an Isabella whose parents are George Bevan and Eliza Beven formerly Jones. So this is not the one. Her marriage certificate states her fathers name was John Bevan.

The infomation in the 1861 cenus seems to be my Isabella although Unis should read Eunice and Allis should read Alice.

If this is the correct family I know that James, brother of John junior went to the USA.

The hunt goes on.

Thanks to all who are trying to help me.

Offline Puffcat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 16:21 BST (UK) »
Alice Clara Bevan was born in 1856, John in 1861 and Isabella in December 1858 born in Orcop and registered at Kentchurch, Joseph and Eliza all have paernts as John and Eliza[beth] Bevan/beavan nee Gough .
John married Eliza Gough in 1840

Why not get Alice's Birth Certificate from Hereford Register Office and see the parents details. There can be errors on Certificates, and perhaps she thought her father's name was Jogn as he was dead by the time of her marriage. A John Bevan died in 1876 aged 60 wich could be him.
Also he could have been called George at home to diiferentiate and a father also called John.

In Clodock there is a birth for a Sophia where the parents are George and Eliza.

On the 1851 Census for Orcop there are at least 2 families I can spot. John and Elizabeth with Eunice 3, Elizabeth 8 months, and Edith 3 and others  I only have an Index, can anyone post the details of the Orcop Bevans in 1851 please ?

Offline hodgy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 31 July 09 14:09 BST (UK) »
There are 5 households of Bevans in Orcop in 1851.

James Bevan 37 Innkeeper b. Kilpeck
Elizabeth wife 32 b Pencoyd
Children: Arabella 8, Charles 6, William 3 and Benjamin 10mths

John Bevan 60 Labourer b. Orcop
Ann wife 60
Children: Elizabeth 28 and Amos 16
Grandchild: Mary 9

John Bevan 33 Labourer b. Orcop
Eliza wife 27
Children: Edith 5, Eunice 3 and Elizabeth 7mths

George Bevan 28 Ag. labourer b. Kilpeck
John 21 nephew occupation Cooper b. Kilpeck

Thomas Bevan 80 widow

Hope this is helpful

Offline Sandywilliam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 January 20 14:51 GMT (UK) »
I too am searching for a connection to Bevan/Beavan from Orcop Garway Hill Herefordshire.  My grandfather's name was George Harris (later to go by the name of George Beavan Harris) born in 1880, married to Ellen Jane Arthur (born 1888) in 1907.  He died in 1964. The farm is believed to have been called Cherry Orchards ?  My Grandfather's mother's maiden name was Harris and the father is possibly thought to be Bevan/Beavan - no other info.  From looking at the census there seems to be a lot of Beavan's in that area ?  There was a son John James (known as Jack) from a previous relationship of my grandmother, with my Father Arthur William Beavan Harris and Ralph Harris being true brothers/sons of my grandfather.  When my grandmother died there was a housekeeper Miss Millicent Jones, who also had children - Marjorie, Ted, Douglas & Clifford.  Do any of these names ring a bell with anyone reading this ?  Any insight would be much appreciated.

Offline Sandywilliam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 March 20 09:46 GMT (UK) »
What is it with these Beavans ?? I too am seeking the answer as to why my grandfather, whose birth was around 1880 in/or around Orcop Herefordshire, was George Harris until his marriage in 1907 to Ellen when he became George Beavan Harris.  He went on to own Cherry Orchards Farm on Garway Hill and on his death in 1964 he was down as George Beavan ?  One of his sons, Ralph G Beavan-Harris, who married a Dorothy Powell, had the full name at birth.  My father, Arthur William Harris, included Beavan, but it was not on his birth certificate in 1907.  I found a William & Annie Beavan living in Spout House Orcop, Garway Hill, Hereford in the 1911 census - were they George's parents ?  Annie had her surname down in 1920 as Beavan-Harris. I can find no other trace of them on any other census - did they also change their name ?  Any help would be appreciated. 

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 March 20 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sandywilliam,
another post by you and you can send personal messages to other Rootschatters.
Your Harris part of the Bevan-Harris line intrigues me. Do you have any of the following surnames in your heritage - Gilbert, Word, Cecil, Winston/e, Webb, Hyatt, Howells, Parry and Harris [we know].
If yes - we can chat further - if no Best of luck in your search and i hope the Rootschatters can asist you with your Be[a]van-Harris query.
cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Sandywilliam

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 05 March 20 10:50 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for getting in touch.  My grandfather seems an enigma for sure !  I have literally just received his marriage certificate and his name on their is definitely George Beavan Harris, but before then he was just George Harris - I think.  The names you are mentioning do not ring a bell with my search, which disappointingly I think I have now reached a dead end.  Thanks again !

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 05 March 20 13:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sandywilliam for your quick reply. Best of luck solving your enigma.
We all have them.

cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.