Author Topic: Armitages from Ireland to Canada  (Read 3865 times)

Offline Norahs

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Armitages from Ireland to Canada
« on: Thursday 09 July 09 03:29 BST (UK) »
 ???I have been looking for a group of Armitages that went from Ireland approx 1836, one being "Old" William Armitage and sons R(h)ody, Francis, Luke and Joseph, some stayed in Ontario whereas the others went to Pontiac County, Quebec.  Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
sandlgreen

Offline charlotteCH

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy's worth chatting about.
    • View Profile
Re: Armitages from Ireland to Canada
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 July 09 04:56 BST (UK) »
Norahs, hi and welcome to rootschat.  ;D

The Canada Board of RC in its Resources Section has many links to sites that give info about ON and Quebec- census, marriages etc. There is also the OCFA- Ontario Cemetry Finding Aid- I used that to track down one branch of my family.
Also there are census which it's free to search- for a change!

Have a browse thru the Resources section.  Alsom there is Cyndi's List that had Canada Resources.

charlotte

Offline Norahs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 July 09 05:28 BST (UK) »
charlotteCH,
Thanks, I am new at this and some of my questions are going to sound stupid at times.  Hope everyone can bare with me. ???
sandlgreen

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 July 09 05:34 BST (UK) »
Norahs, You're doing just fine ;D

All  of us have been newbies  and so we all understand.  The main thing is for you to ask for help- even if you think the question may be dumb ::) ;D

Go to the Canada Resources Board on RC- go to Forum top of this page 2nd button from LHS is the link, then scroll down the lists and you'll come to Canada-click on that then on Resources.  It's organised in part by Province which is how Canada keeps its imfo mostly...  I suggest you play round there for a while and seee what treasures there are...

And get back to us if anything is puzzling you.
Talk to you later probably :D

charlotte

Offline Norahs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 July 09 23:50 BST (UK) »
 ???charlotteCH,
I started out wondering how I would make out following the directions, I usually need a map.
THANK YOU SO MUCH. I feel like a kid in a candy store who has been told that they can get just what ever they want.  It is HUGE.
Thanks again,
Norahs :o ;D
sandlgreen

Offline charlotteCH

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 July 09 04:25 BST (UK) »
Norahs, You are in a candy store ;D ;D ;D

No map needed once you get the hang of things... and don't froget to ask if yiou are bewildered- we all seek help here :D

Good hunting and let us know how you go with finding your Armitages.

charlotte

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 August 11 03:16 BST (UK) »
I see that this is an old one...so perhaps not on anymore, but will answer anyway...
First job is to find out all you know on the Canadian side...( I see you tried to start in Ireland, no wonder you got frustrated)
Starting from your own family, ...move back into the ancestry gleaning all facts...find all the births marriages and deaths... search parish records, etc.
If you have a lot of information, but need to go back further,  they'll help you on the Canada board....but you need to tell them some dates of birth and more than just a Province.
You need to do the recent &  local research and be sure of dates as much as possible.

There is a paragraph in this site that talks of old William and his boys, but it appears William never came to canada...His son Francis may have come c. 1838 and Rhody may have as well?? but it sounds as though Luke & Joseph remained in Ireland
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/users/l/o/h/Beverley-J-Lohm/WEBSITE-0001/UHP-0505.html
Seems these lads were having children before the turn of the century so their own birth dates might be around the third quarter of the 18th century...

There are also Armitage with similar names in Biddulph area Ontario...so it could get very confusing if the families get mixed up....
so concentrate on just your own family and get back as far as you can, then let us know where you are...
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Amit64

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 September 13 21:21 BST (UK) »
I am descended from a man affectionately known as ,Big Ben, from Cloughjordan/Borisakane Tipperary. His sons James and Richard ( I believe that are their names) came to Ottawa, Ontario, Canada in 1836 to check out the land, liked what they saw, and then sent back for their old father. The older man died that following winter and is buried at Old St Mary's church, county Torbolton, just 'up the Ottawa river' from the Nations capital, Ottawa. Some now call the area, Dunrobin..
A few of the old mans grandsons went up the Pontiac region of western Quebec, one went out west, and one stayed at the original land purchase in Dunrobin. I am descended from the branch that remained on the Ontario side.

Does this help?

Offline babysophia

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 December 13 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I have the bible of William r armitage.