Author Topic: New Forest Gypsy photos - DOE, COOPER, HUGHES, SHERRAD etc  (Read 21027 times)

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
New Forest Gypsy photos - DOE, COOPER, HUGHES, SHERRAD etc
« on: Thursday 09 July 09 15:06 BST (UK) »
I've just been given a link for a new site about New Forest Gypsies:

www.newforestromanygypsytraveller.co.uk

The site includes over a 100 old photos for families that include Doe, Hughes, Cooper, James and Sherrad and so on. So well worth a look if you're researching these names in Hampshire.  :)

Best wishes

Sharon 
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline JaneyJ

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandad: John Parkinson
    • View Profile
Re: New Forest Gypsy photos - DOE, COOPER, HUGHES, SHERRAD etc
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 July 09 22:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sharon,

What a wonderful site, I've been looking at the photo's and they give a taste of what their lives were like.

Did you notice all the children were smiling, I didn't realize I was smiling too until my husband asked what was so funny.

I would love to find a site like this about the families from Scotland and the North of England where my lot travelled, I've posted before to ask if anyone has any photo's, but no luck so far, but in the mean time I will enjoy this site.

Many thanks for the link.

Yours Jane
Edinburgh: Parkinson, Young, Richardson, Melrose, Arnott
Lanarkshire: Richardson, Muir, Buchanan, McMurtrie
Dumfieshire: Richardson, Muir.
Travelling Folk: Young, Cunningham, Wilson, Hartley, Knowells, Clark, Sewall, Swales.
Bristol: Jones, Cleak, Greening.
Exeter: Jones, Gregory, Greenslade, Pannel.

Offline gry77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New Forest Gypsy photos - DOE, COOPER, HUGHES, SHERRAD etc
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 February 10 16:34 GMT (UK) »
hi iam part of these new forest gypsies and proud of it ,thank u for the lovely comments on the site it has takin alot of work and research to get my grannie which is the oldest left of that generation to tell and give us the photos to share .and the children in the photos who are older now to help in this project which is to continue .pictures are of my great grandad henry making baskets this man is a turner,well known gypsy name throughout the gypsy familys in the new forest.