Author Topic: DOHERTY brothers - NSW/VIC  (Read 4898 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: DOHERTY brothers - NSW/VIC
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 02:55 BST (UK) »
John could you please type up the details on Stratford's death certificate eg place and date of burial.  We could then check the cemetery to see if Elizabeth Jane is buried with him. I am unable to locate a DOHERTY death with a CORNISH father.

There is this birth :-\   The mother's surname looks 'odd' - wonder if it has been mistranscribed.  Do you have Stratford's and Elizabeth Jane's marriage certificate?

CORNISH Elizabeth Jane
14 Mar 1868
Father John CORNISH  Mother Elizabeth MCCAHEY
At Port Adelaide  Ade 62/94

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 04:57 BST (UK) »
And this death.  On the 1924 Electoral Roll Stratford and Elizabeth Jane were living at Malvern.  I wonder if incorrect parents surnames have been given :-\  I have seen stranger things on death certs ;)   I wonder who was the informant? 

The given names are the same as on the birth reg in South Australia.

DOHERTY Elizabeth Jane
Father Doherty John  Mother Elizabeth  DIXON
At Malvern   56 years  1925  Reg#14182

John you mentioned Brighton.....perhaps they are buried at Brighton Cemetery.  Unfortunately there are no online burial records.  Would you please check on Stratford's death certificate....and is it noted whether or not Stratford was a widow in 1928?

Hopefully we can at least help you with this area of his life, if not with his sons of his first marriage.  I wonder if it would be worth having a look at the fiche of Queensland deaths to 1964 :-\  Strange however that there are no online electoral roll listings for either of them.

Cheers
Cando

Offline jh1247

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Cando,

First I wish to apoligise, you are correct. Stratford age 75  was buried 24th March 1928  at Brighton Cemetery. His death certificate states as follows... He died 24th March 1928 at Alfred Hospital Melbourne. (Buried same day)
Parents.. Charles William Doherty. Clergyman. Julia Pearson.

He was married in Fitzroy, age 29, wife Elizabeth Jane Cornish (deceased)
Issue.. George Stratford Doherty. 36 yrs.
Informant..  ? Mcmicken, Authorised agent Alfred Hospital.

I dont have their marriage as yet.

Regards,
John.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 01:45 BST (UK) »
John you could contact either of these sites who could see if Stratford was buried with Elizabeth Jane.
http://www.brightoncemetorians.org/research.asp
http://www.brightoncemetery.com.au/contact_us.html

Cheers
Cando

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 16 July 09 07:34 BST (UK) »
http://catalogue.nla.gov.au/Record/2862632?lookfor=stratford doherty&offset=1&max=1

I've been and had a read of this document which details Stratford's life up till the date of the document, 1903 - except that there is no mention of any marriages or children, although I must admit I didn't read all that carefully.

His parents were the late Rev Charles William Doherty late Vicar of Worle near Weston-Super-Mare and Julia nee Pearson dau of the late Samuel Pearson.
Siblings: Amy died as an infant
John Lionel Wyndham Doherty
Madeline Julia Haultain Doherty now wife of Thomas Guest.

He came to Australia on the Grassmere (no date given) as an apprentice and ran away from the ship in Melbourne.  He worked on a couple of stations in Sthn NSW - Tooma and Borambola.  Brother Lionel arrived in Oct 1880 on the Aconcagua.  Stratford went to UK using his brother's return ticket on the Cotopaxi 16 Nov 1880.  Then to Halifax on the Durham, bought a farm, not successful, returned to England, then to Sydney on the Potosi beginning 1882.  Sworn in as a Cponstable 4 July 1882, resigned 1887.
In Tassie 1888 and 1889, back to Melbourne.........  etc etc.

I think the stat dec may have been to gain some of an inheritance from his mother.  He is quite a name-dropper and one wonders if all of this is true.  However it does explain what he has been doing, back and forth across the world!

John, I am happy to photograph the document for you but the National Library will do it and post it for $13.20 or you can have it scanned by them.  This way you will get a good copy and not need to rely on my amateur efforts!!

Go to the item in the catalogue with the link above and click on the "Copies Direct" button at the bottom of the page.  I had no idea they are so reasonably priced - having had quotes from record offices in UK for items to be copied.

It is a fascinating story and I wish some of my lot had left such a wealth of information.

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jh1247

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 16 July 09 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,

Many thanks for your time and effort, i really appreciate it.
You are correct with your description of Stratford. I have local newspaper snippets of him when he was at Bega, NSW as a Police Officer, he did not have a good reputation whilst in the force.
I will persue the document through the National Archives.

Once again, thank you very much.

Regards,
John.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 16 July 09 11:55 BST (UK) »
It's the National Library, John.  Anyhow you should get it through the link   :)
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kieraggggg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 23 April 20 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hello! My name is Kiera and Stratford's sister Madeline Doherty is my great great grandmother, and she married Samuel guest (my great great grandfather) and William Guest. I do not know if Stratford was buried with Elizabeth Jane, but he did die in 1928. My grandfather traced back the family tree very far, so I am happy to answer any questions!