Author Topic: Thos Andrew MATHEWS Louth Ire/Aust  (Read 11009 times)

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thos Andrew MATHEWS Louth Ire/Aust
« on: Saturday 11 July 09 07:19 BST (UK) »
Would like to discover exactly where in County Louth, Thomas Andrew Mathews was born on the 12 May 1825, Maybe Louth, Co Louth. Also more about his parents and other siblings.
Thomas`s father was also Thomas and is said to have lived to the ripe old age of 103, could have died in Ireland or England?
Thomas MATHEWS ( born 1825) married 24 Nov 1850 at St CUTHBERT`S  RC Church, Bedford Rd, North Sheilds in the Diocese of Hexham and Newcastle, Eng. The marriage cert shows Thomas`s parents as Thomas and Margaret MATHEWS, Thomas and a ANN MATHEWS were  witnesses at wedding. The bride was MARY DEVINE born 1831? Whitehaven, Eng. Mary`s parents were residence of South Sheilds, her father PATRICK DEVINE (Potter/ Sea Captain by trade), mother MARGARET FEGAN/FELAN?
Thomas Mathews crossed to Eng 1839, learning trade as shipwright, spenting 17 years in Eng before travelling to Australia in 1857, where his property Louth, became the town of Louth, NSW. Leaving his father, wife and children in England, selling up their properties in Ireland. Mary( age 33)  and children arrived in Aust in 1862.
Sorry! Mathews is such a common name. Mathews with one T.
Thank you for taking the time to read this.
Sue.

Moderator's Comment: title edited to remove excess capitals
STOCKDALE Jas & Eliz ROBINSON Aus Gosford/ Geo ROBINSON & El HOLTBY Carnaby, Yorkshire/
HUGGINS Rob & Em DAVIS/Bleakley Berry HUGGINS & Ann PRINGLE Eng/ Ire/ Aus
Will WILLIAMS & Charl STONE I.O.W.
MATHEWS Thos A & Mary DEVINE Louth Ire/Aus.
BELL Jas Ed & Jane KEARNES Braidwood/ Wagga Wagga
RITCHIE Will & Chris Gowans BOYD/GOWANS/ALLAN/CASKIE SCOT

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: THOS ANDREW MATHEWS LOUTH IRE/AUST
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 September 10 08:52 BST (UK) »
I obtained the Church Burial Record of Thomas MATHEWS who died 10 May 1878, Parish/District; Dunleer, County Louth, IRE., Roman Catholic. Address; Balladoea.

That is all the information given on burial record. Seems there much have been no family around to see Thomas leave this world in his 103 rd year.

The only info that might help, is the address, but unfortunately, I can`t find a Balladoea. So would be very grateful if anyone can help?

Bid Baaner, one of Thomas Mathews descendands died this week at the grand age of 102 yrs 6mths.

Thankyou for your time.

God bless,
Sue.
STOCKDALE Jas & Eliz ROBINSON Aus Gosford/ Geo ROBINSON & El HOLTBY Carnaby, Yorkshire/

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thos Andrew MATHEWS Louth Ire/Aust
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 September 10 09:02 BST (UK) »
Did the church record actually say that this Thomas Mathews was 103 years old?
Only death registration for that period in Co. Louth that I can find is for a Thomas Mathews (age 70) Apr./June 1878 Ardee registration district (covers Louth/Meath) volume 2 page 315.

Tried to find the townland but at the moment the SeanRuad site doesn't seem to be working http://www.thecore.com/seanruad
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 September 10 05:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that, at least I know the burial record, can`t be the right Thomas MATHEWS as his son Thomas Andrew ( born; 12th MAY 1825, Louth?county Louth, IRE/ died 15th DEC. 1913, NSW Aust. parents; Thomas and Margaret ) wrote that his father lived to be 103.
No! the age wasn`t given, but seeing it was the only death for a Thomas MATHEWS  in Louth, took my chances.
25 years ago an Australian decendant who was working as a vet in Ireland, applied for a death cert. of a Thomas Mathews who died 1871/7 ? No copy of certificate was received and was advised that the records were in to fragile a state to be copied.
A kind young lady who does look ups on the net, went through the IGI film for the birth of Thomas Andrew Mathews, born 1825, mentioned above, with no results. She said the poor quality ink that was used for 1/4 of the year, now made the records, unreadable.
Seems like I`ve been hitting my head against a brick wall for the last 25 years, without making any progress. So any help you can give, would be gratefully received.
God bless,
Sue.

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re:lookup Louth Thos MATHEWS (1795-1898) Louth Ire/Aust
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 November 10 05:25 GMT (UK) »
From info that was recently given to me Thomas Mathews( sometimes spelt Matthews) was born 1795, Louth, Louth, Ireland and died 1898, age 103, wife Margaret............? They were the parents of Thomas Andrew Mathews born 12 May 1825, Louth, Louth. Ireland. Wife Mary Devine was born 1829(?), Whitehaven, Cumberland, England.
Any info to confirm the birth and death dates of Thomas Mathews would be a great help and lead to the discovery of their children. Son Thomas Mathews born 1825 was RC.
Thankyou for your time.
Sue.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 November 10 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration index is online (free) and an 1898 death should have been registered. I had a quick look but couldn't find any Thomas Matthews nearly as old as 103 but here's the link so you can search yourself in case I missed it:
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BRETA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 14 November 10 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for the great site, hadn`t come across Ireland Civil Registration Indexes 1845-1958 in that format of family search before.
Like you, I didn`t find the death of Thomas Mathews in 1898. but all comes to those who wait, in the end.
Thankyou for your time.
Sue.

Offline DoctorJef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 December 10 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Civil registration index is online (free) and an 1898 death should have been registered. I had a quick look but couldn't find any Thomas Matthews nearly as old as 103 but here's the link so you can search yourself in case I missed it:
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=collectionDetails&c=fs%3A1408347
Actually, this is not the Civil Registration Index - just a link to the Familysearch Pilot beta-test site.  I have not yet heard of anyone who likes it (the alpha-test was a whole lot better).  Put in a name and a fairly accurate date and you will get every instance of that name in the records. I looked for the death of Francis Mathews, in Ardee, in the period 1910-1930. What I got was 83008 results returned, covering the world fromAustralia to California to Co.Louth.  Not a lot of use until the Familysearch people get the filters on their search engine sorted out.
Geoff

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 December 10 20:41 GMT (UK) »
If you carry out the search you just mentioned on the link aghadowey provided you should get 75 results all in Ireland... and that includes births, marriages & deaths. Setting the filter to Co. Louth decreases this to just 19.

When the website launches close the option to go to the beta website at the top of the screen to go to the older pilot site.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests