Author Topic: Simpson Hill, Bury  (Read 9251 times)

Offline Jackie S

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Simpson Hill, Bury
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 31 August 14 22:23 BST (UK) »
Hiya sheila, I am not able to see your email address so I have sent a friend request on FB but don't know if it is you. Tried to send a personal message but it said it couldn't find you. Jackie x

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Jackie S

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi DAve, was looking through your post and was glad to see you are able to get in touch with the present owners. I was in St Anne's Mother and Baby Home in 1966 and would love to go back to have a look at the old house. Do you think the owner would let me have a look round for old time sake ? I know it is a lot to ask but as I get older it somehow seems more important. I had twin boys at the time who where adopted. Thanks, Jackie.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Cra3ycarol

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 03 August 15 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi sorry this is first time ive been on here so not sure what im doing.
I saw what people were say about st Annes maternity unit in Heywood.
53 years ago today i was born there, it was a place for young unmarried mothers had to go when they had to give there babies up for adoption.
My parents were both only 16 at the time, funny thing is i found them a couple of years ago theyve been together ever since they had me.

Offline CornishKungka

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 16 August 15 05:23 BST (UK) »
Thank you to everybody who has been asking about Simpson Hill. My auntie was born there in 1922. My grandmother was unmarried at the time. She was able to take her daughter home, where she was looked after by the family until she was around two years old. But due to family tragedies they were unable to look after her any longer and she was put into an orphanage. She was never seen or heard of again until 1986 when my mother (also illegitimate, born in 1929 at 123 Crescent Road, Crumpsall, a similar institution) found her. My mother had been fostered out, but kept in touch with my grandmother. They met for the first time in 1986 and were sisters together until 1989 when my auntie died. The stigma attached to unwed mothers was so great that it forced my grandmother to abandon two beautiful daughters and never tell either of them that the other existed. The entire family colluded with these secrets, such was the social stigma at the time. It was only in 2010 that I have been able to pull the facts together, thanks to excellent sites such as Roots Chat.com

Offline silver2142

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 02 December 16 19:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi, after my mother died in Dec 2009, my brothers and sisters and I found evidence that she had given birth to a son in April 1942, before she was married, when she was just 17. She stayed in St Anne's Maternity Home in Simpson Hill, Heywood, Lancs, until he was christened. We understand that the baby was then adopted, but have no further details to follow up, apart from his date of birth and christened name, and we have managed to obtain a copy of his birth certificate from Somerset House. We just want to know if went on to have a happy life with a family, and if he is still alive - we don't need contact if this is not wanted. We were told that all adoption records for the time were destroyed in a fire. Does anyone know if this was really the case, or if there could be any other documentation sitting anywhere? It is so sad that she never managed to tell us about him, and yet left his Christening certificate in a prominent place for us to find after she had died.

Offline Jo Dunn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 31 October 18 20:04 GMT (UK) »
My birth mother was at St Anne's Mother and Baby home at the end of 1973 beginning of 1974.  I would love to talk to any body who was there around that time.  I'm hoping to get a better understanding of what it was like and what she went through.