Author Topic: Watts of Pendoylan/Llantrithyd/Ty Draw  (Read 14678 times)

Offline Red Kite

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Watts of Pendoylan/Llantrithyd/Ty Draw
« on: Monday 13 July 09 21:12 BST (UK) »
I would like to hear from anyone researching my Watts ancestry.

My Watts were mostly farmers in Glamorgan. When my mother, Margaret Watts died in 2005, she was the very last of my line of ancestry. As I am not aware of any other living Watts connected to her family, it would be so interesting to hear from anyone so connected.
I have a good record of siblings of my Watts ancestors, but my direct line is as follows -

Thomas Watts 1794 - 1860 Welsh St. Donats m Margaret Thomas 1791 Penllyn

Edward Watts 1825 Farmer Pendoylan m Rachel Jones 1823 Pentrych

John Watts 1851 Farmer Pentrych m Elizabeth Jenkins 1857 Haverfordwest

Thomas Watts 1882 - 1946 Llantrithyd m Ethel Evans

Margaret Watts 1920 - 2005 Gilfach Goch Rhondda

Farms included in this family were at Ty Draw, Duffryn Bach, Pwllysarn, Pendoylan.

I read an old thread from 2007 by a member " Selena by the Sea", in answering another matter, she makes a comment that I find very interesting,and indicates that she may know of my family - I wonder if this lady is still an active member?

I would be delighted to hear from anyone who is interested in the above.

Thank you 

Offline heddwch

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Watts of Pendoylan/Llantrithyd/Ty Draw
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 22:50 BST (UK) »
Hello there,
  The street I now live is Ty-Draw and was once a farm.
Where was your Ty-Draw ?
Heddwch
Maeer - Devon and Glamorgan
David - Cardiff Pontypridd
Astley -Merthyr Tydfil
Newland- Hampshire
Jones -Treherbert Rhondda
McCarthy - Cork & Cardiff
Pellow  -  Cornwall

Offline Red Kite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 23:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Heddwch,
Thank you for your response - I am not sure where Ty Draw the farm is/was.
I had assumed it was in the Llantrithyd, Pentrych area, I could however, be completely wrong about this. ::)
I can get most likely get an answer to this from another contact, and get back to you.
What you tell me sounds very interesting.

Thanks again Heddwch - appreciated

Offline Red Kite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 July 09 14:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Heddwch,
                   I have checked the location of the farm "Ty Draw" - it is as I thought in Llantrithyd. There was a large farm known as "Llantrithyd House, and  Ty Draw was to the west of this. Another farm "Ty Uchaf" was to the east of Llantrithyd House.
                   My family also farmed at the next village of Pendoylan - that farmhouse is now run as a hotel I believe.
                   Is Ty Draw located near to you?

Kind regards
Red Kite

Offline dragonsheep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 September 09 15:56 BST (UK) »
hi red kite,
saw your interest in watts family. Ty dRAW is still a working Farm and is in Llantriythd but your branch never lived there . Rachel jones was a young widow when she married Edward Watts and they farmed Castle farm St.Georges super Ely and had six children. Your John & Elizabeth were farming Ty Uchaf by 1881 taking over from his childless uncle & aunt.

Edward's brother David had Ty Draw. then his  eldest unmarried son David and in 1912 his youngest son William took over. He was my great grandfather.

We therefore both descend from Thomas Watts and Margaret Thomas. I can go back to their parents Edward and Margaret who farmed Bwlch Gwyn, Ystradowen. More info if you want.

Offline Red Kite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 20 September 09 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Dragonsheep,
Thank you for your message - I am very interested in the information you have.
Unfortunately, I have to go offline now, but, if I may, I will check my tree, and get back to you later.
Thanks again, it is good to get a response after all this time.

Kind regards,
Red Kite

Offline Red Kite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 20 September 09 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Dragonsheep,
Thank you for confirming the location of Ty Draw, and that my branch did not farm there, but at Ty Uchaf. My Gt Grandfather John Watts 1851, was living with aunt Margaret Morgan, nee Watts, and Thomas Morgan from at least age 10 yrs. He seems to have remained with them until his marriage - This must be the couple you refer to.

My Grandfather Thomas Morgan Watts was named after Thomas Morgan.

There was later a marriage between the Watts and Morgan family.

I have William Watts b. 1870 at Pendoylan, son of David b. 1830 and Charlotte Howe. Would they have been your Gt Grandparents?

My earliest record is of Edward b. 1857 St Donats, married to Margaret c. 1762, but until now knew nothing further.

I have details of other branches of the Watts family, and if there is anything you think I might know, I would of course be pleased to pass this on.

Thank you again for answering my post, I would be very grateful for any info you can pass onto me.

Kind regards
Red Kite.

Offline dragonsheep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 21 September 09 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Red kite
The other Watts / Morgan wedding of Thomas watts/Alice morgan lead to a third. Thomas watts was my grandfathers uncle and Alice Morgan was my grandmothers aunt and my grandparents met through their joint first cousins and married. Therefore both morgans and watts are my family.

Ty Uchaf belonged to the MoRGANS as tenant farmers from at least 1788 when my ancestors Thomas & Catherine Morgan had 50 acres. It then passed to Christopher Morgan and his second wife Margaret the parents of your Thomas Morgan. Christopher retired from farming in his 80s to become a miller and lived to 94 on it. My ancestor was his youngest son JoHN fathered when  Christopher was 65. The Morgans all live to great  ages and John died two months before he was 100.  He also farmed in LLantrithyd and was brother in law to  my ancestor David Watts and Charlotte at Ty Draw.

.  Their son William Watts was my great grandfather and had Ty Draw from 1912 to his death in 1930s. Edward Watts was the last at TY Uchaf about 1945.

Offline Red Kite

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 September 09 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi Dragonsheep,

Thank you for the info re the Morgan marriages.

Due to the interaction between the Watts, and Morgan famillies, I have kept a good record of the Morgan's also. The earliest being Christopher Morgan b. 1710, and wife Elizabeth. Their son being Thomas 1735 of Llantrithyd, married to Catherine John.

The John Watts b1830-d.1930 that you mention, I have as married to Sarah Mathews. I believe that John was a Bard, known as Ioan Trithyd or Ioan of Trithyd.

Are you able to confirm the following for me please -
I have Thomas Watts b. 1860 at Trehedyn Pendoylan, a farmer at Plas Llanmihangel?

Also, Edward Watts b. 1825 at Pendoylan, married to Rachel Jones.
Edward was my Gt Gt Grandfather.
Do you happen to know where he farmed? I haven't been able to establish this.

Kind regards
Red Kite