Author Topic: Cameron, Islandmagee  (Read 13324 times)

Offline Scrabohill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cameron, Islandmagee
« on: Thursday 16 July 09 12:06 BST (UK) »
I'm seeking information on an ancestor, William Cameron of Islandmagee.  He was probably born somewhere between 1820 and 1835, based on the date of the marriage of a daughter, Martha, in 1885 to Hill Wilson, in Ballycarry Pres Church.  There are two William Camerons listed in Griffith's Valuation, one in Cloghfin, the other in Temple Effin, but I need information to help narrow down the search.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Cameron, Islandmagee
« Reply #1 on: Friday 24 July 09 22:36 BST (UK) »
Noticed your Cameron link with Islandmagee. Can't help with your request at moment, but thought I would share following, which may tie with your Camerons at some point:

I have a James Lillie (believe Lilley) marriage in Ballycarry  Presbyterian Church on 14 5 1874  to an Ann Cameron from Islandmagee. Her father was a William Cameron.  One witness to marriage was a James Cameron.

"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Scrabohill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 July 09 11:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply.  My own search has shown quite a few Camerons in Islandmagee and at present I a attempting to unravel the links between the various Cameron families and the Wilson families in particular.  There is a record of an Anne Jane Cameron, born Braidisland, (also known as Broadisland), Islandmagee, on 5 September 1851; father William Cameron, mother Anne Jane Cameron, (nee McAuley).  I can't confirm that this is the same Anne Cameron noted in your reply, but she in in the right age bracket. 
A James Cameron was born to the same parents on 15 June 1843, he could have been the witness referred to in your note.
Anne and James were both christened in 1st Islandmagee Presbyterian Church, which is about 6km from Ballycarry Presbyterian Church.
I'll follow up the Cameron-Lilley link at my next visit to the NI PRO in a few weeks time.
Best regards

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 July 09 20:52 BST (UK) »
Just remembered that Ann Cameron Lilley died in Scotland and I have her death details. Her parents were noted on same as William Cameron and Ann Jane Cameron nee McAuley, so looks like she was the Ann Jane Cameron born Braid/Broadisland that you have suggested.  Age at death would also tie with the 1851 birth.

Ann or Annie as she seems to have been know, moved to Scotland with her husband in late 1800's. At 1891 Census, visiting with them from Ireland were a William Cameron aged 23 and a Mary Cameron aged 18 (brother/sister or husband/wife - not noted).

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline Scrabohill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 July 09 17:34 BST (UK) »
My search to date has shown that the William and Anne Cameron in question had at least three other children, as follows;
Thomas McAuley Cameron, b 20/11/1848
Martha Cameron, b 22/3/1854
Margaret Cameron, b 5/12/1856.
On the birth and baptism record of Thomas the parents resided in the village of Gransha, Islandmagee.  At the time of birth of the other children the parents were recorded as residing in the townland of Braid/Broadisland, Islandmagee.  The children were baptised in 1st Islandmagee Presbyterian Church.
So far I have only searched the Cameron births as far as 1860, so I may well locate the others mentioned in your reply.

Online scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 26 August 09 18:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks for sharing these additional finds.

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 May 10 11:36 BST (UK) »
Am late to your posts but hope you revisit this. I am a descendant of a William Cameron of Temple Effin.  He married Margaret Finlay in 1898 and had six children, one of them Elizabeth Cameron, my mother's mother. This William was born around 1876 as the 1911 census gives his age as 35. My friend, who is a keen genealogist, found a reference to a William Cameron, born 1868, son of John Cameron and Catherine Ross, who were married in Ballycarry Pres Church in 1866. So I think you can rule out the William Cameron of Temple Effin.
Self ... Conn, Brownlee, Cameron, Bates.
Wife ... Clegg, Niblock, Dunlop, Rowley.
Other ... Bremner, Lewis, McIlwrath, Cardy.

Offline Scrabohill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 June 10 17:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply - I had given up on any further feedback from this source!  I managed to track down the William Cameron of interest, who resided in Cloghfin.

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 July 10 10:16 BST (UK) »
Scrabohill...I have discovered that my great grandfather, William Cameron, was the son of Thomas and Rose (Rosy or Rosey) Cameron. It seems likely that the Thomas McAuley Cameron you mention in an earlier post is the same person as he was 52 in the 1901 census, giving a birth date of 1848/49. He was married in 1870 to Rose and they had at least four chn. - Ann, James, William (my great g'father) and Thomas. I would be interested in any other info you had with this family. Best wishes, Johnny Conn
Self ... Conn, Brownlee, Cameron, Bates.
Wife ... Clegg, Niblock, Dunlop, Rowley.
Other ... Bremner, Lewis, McIlwrath, Cardy.