Author Topic: Cameron, Islandmagee  (Read 13239 times)

Offline Scrabohill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cameron, Islandmagee
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 July 10 10:22 BST (UK) »
conijoni,
Thanks for your reply.  I think your great-grandfather William Cameron does indeed link into the family tree I have been investigating.  My research shows that William was the son of Thomas Cameron and Rose ?.  Thomas McAuley Cameron was born in 1848, (born or christened 20/11/1848).  His parents were William Cameron and Anne Jane McAuley, married ca 1842.  William was born ca 1820 and died 6/2/1899; Anne was born ca 1820.  William and Anne had five (5) children that I have managed to uncover - James (b 1843), Thomas (b 1848), Anne Jane (b 1851), Martha (1854), and Margaret (1856).  I suspect that there may have been another child in the 1843 to 1848 period, but I have not found any evidence of this.  The birth information above was obtained from the recoeds of 1st Islandmagee Presbyterian Church.  Martha Cameron married my ancestor,Hill Wilson, in 1885.
Hope this is of interest to you,
Hill Wilson.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 July 10 11:13 BST (UK) »
Good to see this thread continuing....and interesting reading. So, looks like Annie Jane Cameron in my post was a sister of your Thomas McAuley Cameron, conijoni.

I wonder if the William Cameron born 1868 to a John and Catherine Cameron is the one visiting Scotland in 1891 (aged 23). Another thought, there was a John Cameron son of a William that married in 1866 to a Catherine...wonder if he could be a 'missing child' of William and Ann Jane, scrabo, as you seemed to think there was a gap? Mind you, he and Catherine are in Templeffin at 1901 and in same townland is a William and Sarah, so more probable they were his parents.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 July 10 11:27 BST (UK) »
Forgot to add, looks like in the 1870 marriage of Thomas Cameron to Rose, she too was a Cameron to her maiden name, her father being a Samuel Cameron.

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 July 10 14:41 BST (UK) »
Just a quick reply for now - Rosey Cameron is referred to as Rosey Cameron Cameron in two references I found for her, and I suspected that her maiden name was also Cameron. My mother's sister was born ----- Bates and kept her surname as she married ---- Bates. Good to be in touch. Will try to post later when I have some time.
Self ... Conn, Brownlee, Cameron, Bates.
Wife ... Clegg, Niblock, Dunlop, Rowley.
Other ... Bremner, Lewis, McIlwrath, Cardy.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 July 10 17:46 BST (UK) »
Two Cameron's mentioned at:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30332

Meant to say, if you haven't already read it, the Ordnance Survey Memoirs - Parishes of County Antrim III - Vol 10  (1833, 1835, 1839-40) covering Larne, but mainly Island Magee, makes fascinating reading and gives a great insight to life in the area in 1830/40 period.

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 July 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Scotmum. I do not believe the two Camerons on the Great War Forum are connected. Where would one get a copy of the OS memiors? By the way, are you connected with the Camerons or just an interested party?

There was James Cameron, son of Thomas, son of William Cameron (my great grandfather) killed at Arnhem (Bridge Too Far) with the Parachute Regiment. His father had served with the Royal Irish Rifles in the Great War.

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 July 10 19:20 BST (UK) »
If your local library doesn't have it, they can order it in for you. Alternatively, the series of books are often available to buy, sometimes only those relevant to the area they are being sold in though, in bookshops (even Bargain Books outlets sometimes stock them) or from the online bookstore at Ulster Historical Foundation  http://www.rootschat.com/links/099w/
or other online bookstores. 

My interest, as noted earlier in thread, lies in the marriage of Ann Cameron, daughter of William Cameron and Annie Jane McAuley, to James Lillie (Lilley), as he seems likely to have been a brother of one of my direct ancestors.

Out of interest, I note the Brownlee surname in your list. Which area were they from?

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 July 10 19:35 BST (UK) »
re the chn. of William Cameron and Anne Jane McAuley...James lived with his mother Annie (see 1901 Census) and seems to have married in his early 60s to Isabella (see 1911 Census); Thomas McAuley Cameron m. Rosey Cameron and had four chn. - Ann, James, William (my ggf) and Thomas; Anne Jane Cameron m. James Lillie/Lilley (to Scotland); Martha m. Hill Wilson (scrabohill); and Margaret - have no info on Margaret.

re chn. of Thomas McAuley and Rosey Cameron...Ann b.1871 - have no info; James b.1873 m. Agnes -----? and by 1911 Census had five chn., four living - all daughters Elizabeth, Annie, Gretta and Florrie; William b.1876(my ggf) m. Margaret Finlay and had six chn., Thomas, Samuel, Elizabeth, Agnes Finlay, James Finlay, and Rose; Thomas b.1879 m. Catherine (Ross?) and had two (?) chn. Robert Ross and Annie. It looks as though Thomas died as Catherine has married Samuel Shanks (1911) and they have had two chn. Esther and Samuel.

Scrabohill - where do you live? Would like some info about your ancestors. I live in Ballyclare. Have you an Ards connection? My wife is from Ards.

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 July 10 19:36 BST (UK) »
Brownlee family from Ballygawley originally.