Author Topic: Cameron, Islandmagee  (Read 13317 times)

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cameron, Islandmagee
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 21:39 GMT (UK) »
alanagr ... following our meeting ... I have found a reference to Nancy, wife of Samuel Cameron, who died 4/12/1885, and mother to Betty Cameron, who was born c.1854. This is close to Rosey Cameron, born c.1847.

Cameron Erected by Samuel Cameron in memory of his daughter Betty, who died 04 Sep 1876 aged 22. Also his wife Nancy who died 04 Dec 1885 aged 71.

St John's Church of Ireland, Islandmagee, graveyard.
Self ... Conn, Brownlee, Cameron, Bates.
Wife ... Clegg, Niblock, Dunlop, Rowley.
Other ... Bremner, Lewis, McIlwrath, Cardy.

Offline alanagr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 November 10 19:58 GMT (UK) »
alanagr ... following our meeting ... I have found a reference to Nancy, wife of Samuel Cameron, who died 4/12/1885, and mother to Betty Cameron, who was born c.1854. This is close to Rosey Cameron, born c.1847.

Cameron Erected by Samuel Cameron in memory of his daughter Betty, who died 04 Sep 1876 aged 22. Also his wife Nancy who died 04 Dec 1885 aged 71.

St John's Church of Ireland, Islandmagee, graveyard.

Many thanks for the info. Patiently waiting on PRONI re-opening.

Offline JFCmk3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 10 September 18 15:59 BST (UK) »
My name, James Finlay Cameron  is the same as my Uncle and Grandfather.

My Grandfather was originally from Islandmagee and his parents were William and Margaret.

My Grandfather died on 26th September 1974, 30 years to the day from when his nephew James Cameron died as a result of the Battle of Arnhem.

This year, to celebrate my own 50th Birthday, I plan to visit the resting place of James Cameron at Oosterbeek War Cemetery, I shall do so as a Proud Cameron and a Proud Carrickfergus Man.

Offline Rosniak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 10 September 18 17:43 BST (UK) »
My 3xgreat grandmother was Eliza Cameron who married John Close and lived at Ballycarry (Lockstown) before moving to Belfast where she died. She was born about 1820-1825 and is likely to be a sister of either the William Cameron (who married Ann Jane McAuley) or Samuel Cameron (who married Nancy) who are mentioned in this thread.

Have any of the contributors to this series of posts taken a DNA test yet? I have almost 20 members of my extended Close family tested and on the Family Tree DNA database. A match between anyone descended from this Cameron family and any of us would prove the link. I have already successfully identified links even further back on the Close side.

DNA will hopefully be able to help us extend the Cameron family further than paper records allow (with absolute certainty)!

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 10 September 18 20:27 BST (UK) »
Replying to James Finlay Cameron
My great grandfather was William Cameron who married Margaret Finlay from Islandmagee.
They had children Elizabeth, Agnes, Rose, James, Thomas.
Elizabeth Cameron was my grandmother.
She had Eric, Annie, Margaret and Carol. Margaret was Margaret Finlay Cameron Bates.
So it would appear you and I come from the same William and Margaret.
Do you have photos of them, particularly Margaret?
Johnny

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 10 September 18 20:29 BST (UK) »
Rosniak…I think your Camerons are not my Camerons.

Offline JFCmk3

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 10 September 18 21:02 BST (UK) »
Replying to James Finlay Cameron
My great grandfather was William Cameron who married Margaret Finlay from Islandmagee.
They had children Elizabeth, Agnes, Rose, James, Thomas.
Elizabeth Cameron was my grandmother.
She had Eric, Annie, Margaret and Carol. Margaret was Margaret Finlay Cameron Bates.
So it would appear you and I come from the same William and Margaret.
Do you have photos of them, particularly Margaret?
Johnny

Hi your Grandmother was a much loved Sister of my Granda, My Dad and his siblings all met with you guys over the years, I even met Margaret as I done work in her house, when seeing her full name, I said " you've the same name as me" she asked about the Robinsons from the Knockagh etc, Margaret was living in Carnmoney / Glengormley area.
I also worked at houses in Glenwood St and asked of your Grandmother, though when I called there was no-one home, it was a neighbour Mrs Murphy who told me the house number and spoke so lovingly about your Grandmother.

Offline conijoni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 11 September 18 12:34 BST (UK) »
James
Do you have any photos of William Cameron and Margaret Finlay? I have a photo of William Cameron and have faint memories of meeting him as a child. Margaret died quite young and William got a new partner... Cannot remember her name.

Offline Rosniak

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 04 October 18 16:05 BST (UK) »
I think your Camerons are not my Camerons.

That is why I mentioned DNA. That's what it does. It finds links to prove links were written records don't exist. Whilst there are no written records to link our Camerons together it is improbable to say they weren't related as there wasn't a massive amount of Camerons in the area.

It is a reasonable assumption that we could  be connected a generation or two further back as it is likely that your William Cameron (who married Ann Jane McAuley) and Samuel Cameron (who married Nancy) had siblings in the area.