Author Topic: Addresses in Hamilton ON  (Read 2465 times)

Offline ssc1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Addresses in Hamilton ON
« on: Thursday 16 July 09 17:50 BST (UK) »
I've recently discovered some addresses for ancestors in Hamilton from various sources, census', marriage and death records and Vernon's directories.  I find it curious that although the street address is Chestnut Av, the # varies for the same individual.  For example in one case I have #76 Chestnut Ave as well as #90 and #92. 

This seems to indicate that they moved frequently but stayed on the same street. Seems like a lot of effort especially in the 1910-1920's.   Would anyone have a theory as to why they might do this?

SSC
Names of interest are recorded in the Surname Interests Table.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Addresses in Hamilton ON
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 July 09 21:39 BST (UK) »
If a person likes where they live but the house they are in is either too big or too small they might try to find another house on the same street. Another possibilitity is the street was renumbered at some point.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline Lesanne

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 July 09 22:08 BST (UK) »
 :D I think it was renumbered as new houses were built.  ;)
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Berks Bucks Oxon= Norris Coxhead Turner Cox Weston Baston Simpson
Kent= Nicholls Mepstead Watts   Mile End=Craze Wood Bennett
Cork=Howe   NZ=Coxhead   Canada=Fenn Cox Turner

Offline ssc1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 July 09 04:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your comments Jacquie and Leanne, I never thought about the street being renumbered.  The only thing that I could come up with was maybe they were rentals and as the family got smaller they moved to a house with less expensive rent. 
Names of interest are recorded in the Surname Interests Table.

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 July 09 16:40 BST (UK) »

The only thing that I could come up with was maybe they were rentals and as the family got smaller they moved to a house with less expensive rent. 

That's what my gr grandparents did, they lived in about 3 different houses on the same street, and a very tiny street at that, they were renters and just moved.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 July 09 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi SSC,

The other homes could be homes owned/rented by their relatives (aunts & uncles, brothers & sisters,  etc) inwhich they could have moved between them as circumstances changed for them. This is quite a common practice for new immigrants to Canada  - particularly when they are sponsored by family already here.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England