Author Topic: Belper/Duffield Birth - WRAGG  (Read 6092 times)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Re: Belper/Duffield Birth - WRAGG
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 February 10 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello Phylis,

A little more info about Thomas Wragg, in Belper

By doing a google search "Thomas Wragg" Solicitor Belper, I came up with the
following result:-

FRANCIS GOODWIN (1784-1835):
by M Port - 1958
Lancashire, he had visited Belper en route for Derby, and seen the principals of the local committee-Strutt, the mill-owner, and Thomas Wragg, a lawyer ...
www.jstor.org/stable/1568237

I do not subscribe to Justor so cannot get full text, but as Goodwin was building churches, he obviously came to Belper to via for the new church about to be built it was eventually named St. Peter's but he did not get the work.  He did however build Goal in Derby.

Just further proof that a Thomas Wragg Solicitor was in Belper, but if it was
yours or his Father still cannot discover.

Just wondered if this is where the name Goodwin came from?
Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Ladyluck62

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 March 10 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Phyllis,
Wow you're really getting a lot of info now.  I've been looking for your tree on Ancestry.com but can't find it any more.

Just to say that according to one of my colleagues there is still a solicitor in Belper by the name of Wragg.  I'll try to find out more info and let you know.

Also, I found a couple of convictions on Ancestry for James Harnett who was tried at the Old Bailey for receiving stolen goods in 1846 and sentenced to 3 months imprisonment.  The age fits Thomas Dodd Wragg's father-in-law. 

The other conviction was in 1880 where a James Harnett was sentenced to 7 years imprisonment and 9 strokes of the cat for being involved in a violent robbery and a previous conviction.  I can't imagine it's the same man as he'd be 80 years old, but he did have a son called James.  I'll look into this a bit more.

Offline aussie researcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 March 10 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I don't think the info you have on James Harnett is our James Harnett as James senior died in 1828 and James junior was born in 1825 and came to Australia married in 1851 lived in Tasmania.

Cheers
Aussie Researcher

Offline Ladyluck62

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 09:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Anita

You're right it is the wrong Harnett - I was just hoping there was another interesting family secret but I now know that not to be true.  I had forgotten the dates when James junior went to Australia.  Am I right in thinking that he went to Tasmania with brother-in-law Thomas Dodd Wragg and family?

However, I do have the correct information as I am (like Phylis) a descendent of TDW's brother - George Goodwin Wragg.  My great-great grandfather was GG's son Thomas William Wragg.

Best regards
Sandra

Offline aussie researcher

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 02 March 10 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sandra (Ladyluck62)

Nice to meet another relative...  :)

Cheers
Aussie Researcher

Offline Sylvia Mason

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 April 22 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hiya All,

I am investigating Thomas Wragg as he was the solicitor for the Pentrich Revolutionaries, our group (the Pentrich & South Wingfield Revolution Group) are planning on putting him into our most recent walk which will be around Belper along with the Strutts and Miles Bacon who also featured in the Belper part of the story

I do have some information on Thomas, he almost had to prosecute the prosecution attorney in the case as he was not being allowed access to his clients and I have the copy of the Strutt letter which mentions this

I am also currently creating with the assistance of another researcher a family tree book, I have completed 5 books to date for the following rebels,  Ludlam, Turner, Brandreth, Weightman and Taylor most of these books amount to 300 odd pages

If any of you might want to be included in the Wragg project you can contact me via the Pentrich Revolution Facebook page as I am the one who posts on there

Thomas was also related to a few of the revolution families via marriage, Thomas' mother Anna Maria Dodd's sister married into the Bramley family which also took part in the rising making him cousin to three of the Bramley's who took part, there was also a Roger Wragg who took part who I haven't been able to connect, so maybe a different part of the Wragg family

Any feedback most welcome

Offline Sylvia Mason

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 April 22 16:05 BST (UK) »
Spendlove,

Thomas' father died while he was very young and his clerkship papers were signed by George Goodwin who was manager of the Butterley Ironworks when the rebels called there, its suspected that George was party to Thomas' upbringing, he certainly mentored him that is for sure,

George was born in Sth Winfield and knew many of the rebels, he called them out by name in a bid to stop them from continuing the march, which makes one wonder if it was George that got Thomas the job of defending them, but then again Thomas also has links to the Strutt family so it could easily have been the Strutts who commissioned him

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 08 April 22 12:19 BST (UK) »
What an interesting query this is;

FreeREG has Bapts of Samuel/Anna Maria's children in Crich;
SAMUEL 9 Oct 1785
PHOEBY 26 Jul 1789
THOMAS 10 Oct 1794
+ possible Pentrich, Mother as MARIA
MARIA 26 Aug 1798

The Marriage of Sam/Ann Maria and her Burial 23 Nov 1829 age 68, abode Butterley
Samuel buried 22 Aug 1800, abode Butterley

Her likely Bapt 2 Nov 1761

Interesting as Tree has other children for them post 1800 which is incorrect.

Hi Sylia.
Welcome to Rootschat

You may already have all of this but others looking now and in the future may not.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 08 April 22 21:38 BST (UK) »
Just to say, Sylvia, that the original poster of this post has not been on Rootschat since 2012 - some 10 years ago.
(If you click on their name you can see some details).
One of the other posters has been on more recently.
Hopefully they will get an email notification of your post.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs