Author Topic: Place Of Interest- Bucklebury.  (Read 4565 times)

Offline Tinkerbell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Place Of Interest- Bucklebury.
« on: Sunday 27 February 05 13:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I have a BIG interest in River Barn, Bucklebury as anyone heard of this place my Father use to live there when he was a youngman in the early 1900's, I think his family all lived around this area with the Surname BAILEY.

Rita (Tinkerbell) OZ.
Chapman/Bromfield/Toyn/Kirk/Lincolnshire, Bailey/Chaddleworth/Reading/Berkshire.Smith-Mutlow/Cirencester/Cricklade/Gunn/Graham/Inverness/Scotland

Offline HarryW

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • G Grandfather - Albert Spencer 1861 - 1926
    • View Profile
Re: Place Of Interest- Bucklebury.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 February 05 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Tinkerbell,

There are two rivers in the Bucklebury area.   To the north is the River Pang (pretty close) and to the South East is the River Bourne (2 -3 km).   Both are not very large in this part of the country.   The River Pang has several feeder streams around Buckelbury that are not named on modern Ordnance Survey maps.   The Pang and Bourne come together to the East of Bucklebury (near Tidmarsh) as the Pang and then flow to meet the River Thames at Pangbourne.  It is worth noting that this whole area has changed drastically in the last 20 - 30 years as far as rivers are concerned (the Pang has effecively dried up on several occasions).

Harry
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

My Interests:

Berkshire: Amor, Beard, Creed, Gale, Noakes, Pearmain, Spencer, White, Willis
Cornwall / Devon: Arscott, Coram, Cundy, Eastlake, Minedue, Reeve
Essex: Ager, Garrad, Linsell, Pearmain
Hampshire: Noakes
Norfolk: Fox, Spencer, Wilkins
Northumberland: Ager, Bell, Cundy, Gair, Robinson
Oxfordshire: Allmond, Beard, Burton, Cobb, Creed, Hilsdon, Nichols, Shurville
Wiltshire: Amor
Yorkshire: Bell, Fox

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 February 05 15:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rita

If you look at this page (I googled "River Barn" Bucklebury)

http://www.nerc-wallingford.ac.uk/research/locar/geophys/fieldareas.htm#P7

there are three pictures of the river near the barn - non of the barn unfortunatly - but it does give the OS co-ordinates for the barn - and looking on my map it would place it about 1 mile to the NE of Bucklebury on the river Pang

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 February 05 15:25 GMT (UK) »
Sorry forgot to mention - in case you don't know - you can look at old O.S. maps here

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

no sign of River Barn at Bucklebury though

Debbie
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tinkerbell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 February 05 05:39 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Harry & Debbie, River Barn is very sentimental to me, my Adopted parents address at the time of there marriage were both at River Barn Bucklebury, do you know if it is a little village. I have saved the photo to put in my tree programme.
I am now going to check map out, thank you both.
Kind Regards,
Rita xx
Chapman/Bromfield/Toyn/Kirk/Lincolnshire, Bailey/Chaddleworth/Reading/Berkshire.Smith-Mutlow/Cirencester/Cricklade/Gunn/Graham/Inverness/Scotland

Offline afstan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 September 11 19:14 BST (UK) »
Hello.
Are you still interested in River Barn Farm, Bucklebury?  I live not far from there and would be happy to take some photos for you.  In case you do not already know, Bucklebury is a small village by the side of the River Pang, a chalk stream.  It does indeed dry up in dry summers, but always has done.  The village is mentioned in the Domesday survey and has some beautiful sixteenth century cottages.  The underlying geology is chalk with flint nodules, so the houses are built of flint with brick facings.
The farm is outside the village on a quiet country lane.  The parish of Bucklebury is a very large one and the manor was at one time owned by a wealthy clothier named Jack 'O' Newbury.  One of his descendants married Lord Bolingbroke who lived in the village for a while.  In the late 19th century the parish was home to George Palmer and his son, George William, of Huntley and Palmers fame.  Their house was just a few fields away from River Barn Farm.  At the other end of the parish Alfred Sutton and his wife built a country home.  He was a member of the family who owned Suttons Seeds.

Kind Regards.

Offline Tinkerbell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 September 11 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Thank you for the information......I would really love a photo I will pm you with my email address.
My Fathers name was Harry Bailey....he would have been very well known in Bucklebury the whole of the Bailey family.

kind Regards,
Tinkerbell :-)

Offline Lynne Sunflower

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Place Of Interest- River Barn, Bucklebury.
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 November 19 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tinkerbell,

Last December, my husband and I bought an old cottage and water mill barn called River Barn (previously called River Barn Farm) in a small hamlet, Marlston, just outside Bucklebury village. I'm pretty sure this is the River Barn you're talking about. We bought it and all its contents at auction after the previous owner, Elaine Froude, died and we found a number of black and white photos taken by her and her parents. We think they moved there sometime in the 1930s and Tom Froude farmed all the land around River Barn until he died in 1970. I can also send you some photos of what it looks like now. The cottage and mill barn are both in a very sorry state but, once we have planning permission, we intend to restore them both and live there. It's in a very beautiful part of the countryside and we're really excited to be able to restore the place and eventually move there. Let me know if you're still interested and I'll send you some pictures and more info. It would also be great to hear about your father and his time at River Barn.

Lynne