Author Topic: Walter Geary. Head Water Bailiff at Broadlands Estate, Romsey  (Read 12703 times)

Offline tonymoy

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walter Geary. Head Water Bailiff at Broadlands Estate, Romsey
« Reply #18 on: Monday 22 November 10 12:10 GMT (UK) »

Sue, I apologise for butting in on your conversation, on the internet. I was looking up references to Kimbridge and a mention of ‘brought up in Kimbridge’ was certainly going to get my attention. I stayed as an evacuee in Meadow Cottages during 1940/2. I was living with Wilf Gould and his wife Olive. Did you know anything of them?

For my great grandchildren I am writing about how it was in the world during the middle of the 20th century, about the war in fact and intermixed with the various nasty things I am copying entries from my childhood diaries. Some of that includes Kimbridge and those bits I have copied as the attachment to this email, perhaps it will amuse you. The paragraphs are not connected, but I hope they make sense. It is a lot of scribble, but it’s only a small part of the 165,000 words that I have and it isn’t finished yet.

I was in Kimbridge two months back, it’s something I try to do when I’m on my way from Honiton, in Devon, to  visit one of my  children in Sussex, I usually spend the night in Stockbridge.

Sincerely from Tony Moy

ps tried to email att. but the address not recognised. my email *

*Moderator comment: e-mail address removed to prevent spamming and other abuse.  Please use the personal message system for exchanging e-mail addresses.  New members have to make at least two postings to use the system. Thanks.

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 January 12 16:19 GMT (UK) »
I just found this thread, which is of great interest to me in my search for my Garey roots. I seem to be from a Stockbridge family of carpenters, but I have in my records some of the Michelmersh and Kings Somborne people, so your posts bring me up to date on that. It seems that the family name was sometimes Geary and sometimes Garey.
One point: was William George married twice? He is on record as having Winifred and Phyllis by Emily Elizabeth Topp, and Sarah E and Thomas William by Miriam Lawrence. Or have I got something mixed up?
Thanks if you can clear this up for me. I must try to get to Hampshire one day to search for my Gareys!
Laurence

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 20 December 14 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sharon. We are already in touch! I haven't yet found a link between the Gearys of KS, and the Gareys. Still searching.
Laurence

Offline JohnCH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 20 December 14 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laurence.
I originally started this thread. I'm sorry, but I am sure that there is no link between Geary and Garey. I have searched the family some way back and Garey nowhere features.
In a previous message you asked if William George Geary was married twice. That is not so. Our WG married Emily Topp and she bore Winifred and Phyliss. He died in 1950.
Hope this clears up two possible false leads for you.
Good luck and Christmas wishes. JohnCH.

Offline l.garey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 21 December 14 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks John. I think I had worked out the problem of the two marriages. I too have followed the Kings Somborne Gearys, given the leads in the Davis family Tree, and again found no link to my Gareys. I am surprised, as to have have two separate families who both seem to have used the two family names in such a small area seems odd to me. I have been trying for years to correlate my Gareys after they moved to London: there too there seem to be several families living in the Shoreditch and Lambeth area that may not be linked.
Best wishes for Christmas and New Year too.
Laurence