Author Topic: Help with the name HARVEY  (Read 3562 times)

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with the name HARVEY
« on: Saturday 18 July 09 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, i wonder if anyone can help me, i have found a birth certificate for one of my relatives, on the birth certificate it is recorded as mothers name Elizabeth Harvey, no fathers name, later on when the child gets married its recorded as father being thomas Harvey and mothers name is Mary Harvey nee duff, now this is not an adoption due to the same name, can anyone tell me what has happened, i thought the mothers name would be recorded all the way through.

I hope this makes sense, this is my first post.

thanks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: HELP WITH THE NAME HARVEY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 18 July 09 19:38 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

Can you tell us if it is an English or a Scottish birth cert

If the person is still alive - please ignore the following question

Name,birthdate and place of birth

now this is not an adoption due to the same name

The child could have been adopted within the family - Elizabeth's brother and his wife perhaps??
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline geniecolgan

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 18 July 09 19:39 BST (UK) »
Hi,

welcome to RootsChat.

There are many possibilities, could you give us a little more information?
When and where was the birth registered? Have you checked for a marriage between Elizabeth and Thomas or perhaps they show up in a census.

genie

Snap Carole ;D
"All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 18 July 09 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi to both of you and thanks for getting back to me so quickly, its a Scottish birth certificate, the person is dead, Elizabeth Harvey was the mother, she had twins Thomas & David Harvey born 20/10/1864 illegitimate, but when Thomas Harvey gets married his mother is listed as Mary Harvey nee duff, i can not find anything relating to Elizabeth Harvey, or even for thomas and Mary Harvey getting married, i only started my family tree last week, it was going great until i came to the above, now its giving me sleepless nights trying to work it out .lol  : ps David Harvey died age 3 weeks so info ends for him on his death cert..

thanks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 18 July 09 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

That's great.  Just one or two more questions

Whereabouts in Scotland were they born

When did Thomas marry and what was his wife's name
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 18 July 09 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Lemonstaw and welocme to Rootschat. Remember that family history research is far too important to lose sleep over. Intrigued to see your Harveys were in Scotland, I have quite a lot of Harveys in Bottisham/Lode Cambs, so I'm really book marking to keep an eye on this thread. Good luck
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 18 July 09 20:23 BST (UK) »
sorry forgot to put that in, it was city of Glasgow, Bridgeton, Thomas Harvey and Mary Harvey nee duff got married 1901 district of Kinning park, County Lanark, Glasgow, I'm going to try the census as you say maybe its a family member that took over thomas Harvey

thanks

Offline lemonstaw

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 18 July 09 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Lemonstaw and welocme to Rootschat. Remember that family history research is far too important to lose sleep over. Intrigued to see your Harveys were in Scotland, I have quite a lot of Harveys in Bottisham/Lode Cambs, so I'm really book marking to keep an eye on this thread. Good luck

Hi Redroger, im so glad ive found this site, its very interesting to see you have Harveys in your family to maybe related, have you found any family in Scotland ....

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 18 July 09 20:29 BST (UK) »
None, so far as I am aware, that's what intrigued me as the Harvey name goes back a long way in Cambridgeshire.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)