Author Topic: Wish it was always so easy!  (Read 882 times)

Offline suttontrust

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Wish it was always so easy!
« on: Sunday 27 February 05 16:02 GMT (UK) »
 ;D Last Monday evening a friend asked me if I would try to trace her father's side of the family.  She had written down what she knew, and I said okay.  Now this lady is in her late 60s and she knew her grandparents' dates of birth.  First stop the 1901 census on Monday night, and there they were - with the wife's mother living with them, so I had her maiden name straight away.  From there on, with valuable help from Rootschatters with census look-ups, as well as the IGI, I got back to the 1790s in 4 days flat.  I only wish it was always that easy - but that would take the fun out of it.
Godden in East Sussex, mainly Hastings area.
Richards in Lea, Gloucestershire, then London.
Williamson in Leith, Vickers in Nottingham.
Webb in Bildeston and Colchester.
Wesbroom in Kirby le Soken.
Ellington in Harwich.
Park, Palmer, Segar and Peartree in Kersey.

Offline kat2004

• I am sorry but my email is not working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Fred and Harry Miller 1932
    • View Profile
Re: Wish it was always so easy!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 February 05 19:49 GMT (UK) »
The lucky so and so! You can do mine if you want too!  ;)

Well done! :D
Miller family -Staffordshire, Leicestishire Cumberland,Pennysylvania.Auckland.
Hill family- Northumberland,Durham, Cumberland.
Woodward- Staffordshire.
Roberts- Flintshire, Cumberland
Fisher Cumberland, Lancashire
Taylor Cumberland, Lancashire,Durham

Paul E

« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Like suttontrust, I have had some speedy advances with some family lines - probably felt like the Germans did as they stormed through Europe at the start of the war (if that analogy isn't too tasteless).  But now it seems like I'm engaged in trench warfare, with movements forward inch by inch at times.  I'm not sure which I enjoy the most!

best wishes

Paul

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 March 05 10:25 GMT (UK) »
I agree Paul sometimes I've found a peice of info (like when I found out my GGrandmothers maiden name, added about 20 new names to the tree and found someone on RootsChat who is researching another branch of the family in two days) and blazed forward then other times you feel like your chasing your own tail (like trying to find anything further on my GGGrandad Mears)

Think I like both aspects of it. The thrill of finding new branches and the slow plod and pleasure when you finally find the missing link

Though I agree Suttontrust its always a megga bonus when the in laws were living with them. I've had that happen once or twice

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /