Author Topic: Shaw family @ Glasbury  (Read 5288 times)

Offline Sparkle170

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Shaw family @ Glasbury
« on: Sunday 19 July 09 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I am so confused - hoping that someone can help me!
William Hartley Shaw married Hannah Michael in Llanigan 1809 (confirmed by Powys Records Office).  Both were single. 

The CD of Glasbury Parish Registers records 5 children born between 1810 and 1821.  Neither William or Hannah have baptisms on this CD so they must have been born elsewhere.

In the 1841 Census William is at Glasbury.  He is age 70.  He lives with his wife Hannah age 60 and 3 children, 1 of whom is probably theirs but I've no idea about the other 2.  If this is correct he would have been born c. 1771 and got married aged about 38.  This seems a bit old for a 1st marriage but is of course possible.

William Hartley Shaw died in Glasbury in Oct 1844.  The certificate says he was age 89 - if this is correct the 1841 census age (even with the rounding) is wildely out and he would have been born c.1755 making him 54 when he married and age 66 when his last known child was born.

Basically the problem I have is that his yob differs by 16 years - what am I missing???
All help gratefully received.
Sparkle

Offline Kayzee

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw family @ Glasbury
« Reply #1 on: Friday 01 January 10 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    I have just looked at the IGI on www.familysearch.org (free to access & quite reliable) & there are 3 children bpt Glasbury for William & Hannah.
John bpt 3 Dec 1815 to Wm Hartley Shaw & Hannah
Signora bpt 15 Jun 1818 to Wm Shaw & Hannah
Limerick bpt 29 Apr 1821 to Wm Hartley Shaw & Hannah

Also in Llanidloes is a William bpt 15 May 1814 to Wm Shaw & Hannah ( but this might have not connection whatsoever)

It would seem that Hartley is your best clue as it is possibly his mother's maiden name. However there are a lot of William Shaws around in the UK & he may have aquired the Hartley name long after his baptism.

38 is certainly not too old for a first marriage, I have older first marriages for men & women in my husband's tree. I would have thought the death certificate is more apt to be correct with his age, as I think the vicar normally tried to get proof of baptism when someone died - in my husband's tree a man had fibbed all his life to protect details of his birth very close to his parents' marriage, but despite moving to the other end of the country, the vicar had it correct on the parish register!

Have you looked to see if William left a will? Or at the witnesses to his marriage - if there were any - these sideways views can often help find him.

Good luck
Kay

Alsop/allsop,Debanks,Pidock, Nevill, Milward,Loxley,Holmes,Wall,Garton,Lowe,Shepherd,Lintott

Offline Masonic Light

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Shaw family @ Glasbury
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 July 13 23:26 BST (UK) »
I have only just come across this site and already think there may be a connection to William Hartley Shaw.

Hartley has been a name passed down through my family, and as far as I know it ended with my uncle Frank (Francis William Hartley Shaw) and my dad (Hartley Fredrick Alfred Shaw) both sons of Frank George Shaw who was a monumental stone mason who had a business in Woolwich, South-East London SE18