Author Topic: anderson  (Read 26406 times)

Offline AlabamaW-S

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: anderson
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 December 10 04:28 GMT (UK) »
I am the great granddaughter of Benjamin Nicolson White-Spunner and Letitia Hannah Sandys Damer White-Spunner.  My grandfather was their oldest son Charles Thomas Nicolson White-Spunner who immigrated to the U.S. and settled in Mobile, Alabama.  My father George Edward was his youngest son.   I am researching great grandmothers connection to Maria Fitzherbert.   I have a book of memoirs from a woman in Florida who was her pupil and talks about when a soliciter came from UK and told her of her inheritance because she was the granddaughter of M Fitz and George IV.   She was going by the name of Damer...I am interested if her guardian might have been George Dawson-Damer who was married to Minnie, the adopted daughter of M.Fitzherbert.  I'm not sure how this posting works, but Vicky I'm intrigued that you have a copy of great grandfathers will and you have been in touch with Sophia Merrin's descendant.   I am going to post this.  best to all.    MW-S

Offline jocalico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 December 10 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi There!
So pleased to read your reply to Vicki.
My great grandmother was Sophia Elizabeth Whitespunner whose brother Charles was your grandfather! So our respective great great grandmother was Letitita!

I have been doing a lot of research re this side of my family. When looking at various links I came across a few Whitespunners who are buried in Mobile.I had figured out that Charles was Sophia's brother. Curiously one of the Whitespunners buried a few years ago was Richard Merrin Whitespunner. Well...Sophia married a clergyman called Richard James Merrin. They had a son called Benjamin Damer merrin [my grandfather] who had my father who was called Richard Edward Damer Merrin. I wonder what the connection was as to why your Moble Whitespunner was given that name??

I guess we are cousins then :)
I left Englad when I was 21 after university. I married a Canadian and we live in Northern British Columbia. I have 3 children, (*)...Damer is a family anme and every generation has it.

Although I have done a lot of research [and Vicki sent me Benjamin's will..it is truly fascinating] but I cant find out who letitia's mother was. My sister who lives in London has the book you were talking about whcih describes letitia's days in Florida. It was given to my Aunt Sybil by Zoe who was Sophia's grandaughter.
I am very pleased to meet you this way and perhaps you will get in touch directly!
I came across a Damer Whitespunner coincidently today from Moblie..perhaps he is related to you. I suspect so!
Jo Merrin Damer Beattie

(*) Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

The Rootschat personal message system will be automatically activated
when a member has made two or three posts on the boards.
See Help-Page: http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline jocalico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 December 10 01:36 GMT (UK) »
I guess I have to make 2 more posts before I can accees the personal message board :)
My grandfather benjamin Damer merrin married Josephine Stack from Listowel, Kerry. He was a Protestant, she was a Catholic. I dont think the marriage was received too well at the time.

Offline jocalico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 December 10 01:41 GMT (UK) »
Coincidently, my Uncle Niall Stack from Listowel told me a little while ago that when he was at boarding school near Dublin one of the students called Dan White-Spunner invited him back for a weekend. It happened that it was at Milltown Park which was where Sophia and Charles grew up in. Niall found out that one of the in-law aunts to Josephine had orchestrated it...

Offline Peto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 December 10 05:05 GMT (UK) »
Dear MW/S  My great Grandmother was Ellen Mary White-Spunner Benjamine Nicholsons Daughter. Her Mother was not related to the fitzherberts but was related to George 3rd.I have a book which trys to follow her parentage. She was probably the granddaughter of the Duke of Sussex, We do know that she was educated in America paid for by the crown and brought back to England by Queen Victoria. She married in Irland to B.N. I hope this will help you. If you need more I will try to answer what I know. Peto

Offline jocalico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 06 December 10 05:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Peto

This is great information. I have just not been able to find Letitia's mother's name.
I found out that Letitia's mother died and Letitia's father [Professor Thomas S Damer] was remarried to a lady called Alcinda.
So this means too Peto that you and I are cousins :)
I would be very interested in the book that you have regarding Letitia.
It would be good to correspond on the personal message post too.

I would like to know the name of Letitia's mother.
This is all interesting..from Cyprus for Vicki to Northern BC to yourself in Australia and to Mobile Alabama

My mother was given Sophia [Ellen's sister and executrix of Benjamin's will]'s engagement ring for her engagement to my father by Sophia's son Benjamin [confusing hey]. My Mum turned 90 this November and I visited her in the summer for a family wedding and took a picture of her hand with the ring, I will try and download it and post.

Jo

Offline jocalico

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 06 December 10 06:20 GMT (UK) »
It would appear that the Duke of Sussex who was married twice might not have had children but maybe you know from your research Peto. His second wife interestingly enough had the name Lady Cecilia Letitia Buggin who went on to be given the title the Duchess of Inverness..who knows!! The Duke apparently was Queen Victoria's favourite Uncle and he gave her away to Prince Albert on their wedding day.
jo

Offline victoriafawcett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 06 December 10 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Dear M W/S

Great to have your input in this fascinating 'conversation'. I have Benjamin Nicolson White-Spunners will which I ordered from PRONI. Luckily (for us) he died in Northern Ireland and it was easier at the time to search will lists for the North.

When I have made 3 posts, I understand that I will be able to contact you privately in order to obtain a mailing address from you, then I would be happy to send a copy of the will to you if you wish, it's quite an interesting thing.

My interest started with my husband's great uncle - Charles Ernest White Spunner Fawcett. I couldn't understand why he had these middle names - what was the connection with the White-Spunners? Hence I started to research the W/S's to see if I could make a connection. It transpired that Charles' father, Benjamin Christmas Fawcett was a 1st cousin of Benjamin Nicholson White Spunner. So really we are not as directly related as Peto or Jo or yourself, however I am enjoying unravelling the story.

Kind regards
Vicki Fawcett

Offline Peto

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 07 December 10 04:54 GMT (UK) »
To all who are interested. Laetitia Hannah Damer Sandys who was my great Grandmother her mother was Jane Maria Weichsel, father Thomas Stratford Sandys. She had a sister and a brother all educated in America. Laetitia was born in1834 - 1911, she was born in England I think. Her mother was we think the daughter of Duke of Sussex the son of George 3rd in a morganic marriage. The book that I have got was compiled by a Stephen Nicholson Barber with lots of help from members of the family. My grandfather is also part of the George 3rd family. He always states that his name is actually Anderton  Peto