Author Topic: Seeking a baptism for Henry OLLIS  (Read 1597 times)

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Seeking a baptism for Henry OLLIS
« on: Tuesday 21 July 09 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Chatterers

Please could someone kindly look up a baptism if the resource exists please? One of my x3 great grandfathers was Henry OLLIS. I believe he was born in about 1847. I think that Henry might have been the son of Job and Caroline OLLIS. In 1871 this family were living in Bath at a pub called the White Horse. Job was a beer seller and brewer. He was born in Keynsham and his wife Caroline was born in Warmley, Gloucestershire. In the 1911 census, Henry also describes himself as having been born in Warmley. Hence I am hoping that someone could find his baptism, possibly in Warmley PRs :-) Many thanks for reading thus far!

Cheers
Karen
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking a baptism for Henry OLLIS
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 15:26 BST (UK) »
There are two possible births in the index  - so 2 boys with the same name and age around!! Beware!

Ap/May/Jun 1847
Keynsham Reg District 11 111
Henry Ollis

Oct/Nov/Dec 1847
Keynsham Reg Distr 11 107
Henry Ollis

you seem to only "think" his parents were Job and Caroline.
Have you got his marriage cert to confirm the name and occupation of his father? That way you would stand more of a chance of following the right Henry Ollis back
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hee is one of them in 1851
Parents Job and CAtherine, not Caroline

HO107 1944 152 12
Siston Common
Job 33 Daily Labourer bn Keynsham
Catherine 33  Pin flicker? bn Siston
Henry 3 bn Siston
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 15:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Wow - that beats all records thus far for a lookup :-)

To be more specific - no - I don't have the marriage of Henry yet (smack own hand!) and I take your point. The reason I have plumped for this couple is because Job was a publican and Henry would become one and remain so for most of his adult life. Also, Somerset Buildings (where Job had his pub) was located about 50 yards up the road from the Chatham Tavern where Henry lived for decades.  Working back through all the censuses, I tracked Job and Caroline (or Catherine) with little Henry before I looked for a possible birth registration. Having two births for 1847, both from Keynsham, rather muddied the waters. THEN the 1911 census came along and I saw that Henry had said he was born in Warmley which was the same village that Caroline had also stated herself to be from. It's true that I should probably get the marriage certificate but I was cutting corners (I am ashamed to admit). Perhaps I'm being a bit cheeky to make this request do you think? I was hoping that someone might have an easily accessible resource. If not then that's OK too. Nothing ventured as they say....  Thank you again. K
RIDOUT from Sherborne, Bath and London .... please visit my RIDOUT website and blog :-)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 15:50 BST (UK) »
Not at all cheeky - best to gather as much info as possible.

But, in my very humble opinion, cutting corners is never a good idea. One may end up with a very impressive tree, but actually it isnt yours at all because one actually followed the wrong guy at an early stage.  To me it all seems a bit pointless if there are any doubts (that could be cleared up) about each step.

At present I cant see the other 3 yr old Henry Ollis in 1851 nor a death for him. There are certainly others around, but ages not that close.

DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 15:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

To my shame I admit to cutting corners in actually making connections but, on the other hand, I always do the appropriate sourcing as well, having been taught well by the Institute of Heraldic and Genealogical Studies :-) I generally adopt Elizabeth Shown Mills' methodology which, naturally, requires utmost rigour and I am happy to say that, as far as I know, my family history is 'sound' but I know what you mean about planting a seed an ending up with an artificial tree! Maybe I shouldn't have injected so much doubt in my original enquiry - there are lots of bits and pieces of evidence to suggest that Henry is the son of Job and Caroline and I was searching for another piece :-)

Cheers
Karen

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 16:01 BST (UK) »
PS (a real afterthought!).... I have a list of BMDs to order which is about 90 certificates long - I have to prioritise them financially hence the desire to find out as much as possibole first  - rather putting the cart before the horse I suppose :-)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 16:12 BST (UK) »
There seem to be a good selection of birthplaces for the Henry who is son of Job and Caroline

1851 as above when age 3 - Siston
1861 (RG9 1690 28 4) when age 13 - Longwell Green
1911 you state Warmley

They dont make it easy do they!
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline ranaridibunda

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 17:48 BST (UK) »
No they don't but where would be the fun in that? Siston perhaps, or Longwell Green or Warmley or Bitton or .... :-)

K