Author Topic: Sir Stanley Bell, Wigan or nearby  (Read 22940 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Stanley Bell, Wigan or nearby
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 July 09 11:37 BST (UK) »
There are several references to Sir Stanley Bell in The Times online archive (available via some local libraries) as chairman of companies including Astley.  He also had an entry in Who's Who, and a large library should have 'Who was Who' covering the 1970s - this is also available online through some libraries.
He lived at Euxton Hall near Leyland, Lancs.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 July 09 12:00 BST (UK) »
Florence Bell was age 5 in 1901, so that ties in nicely.

Marriage Jun 1920 Leigh 8c 711
Randal Pearson - Florence Bell

The other son showing in 1901 is Fred, age 3. It seems he's not around with the rest of the family in 1911 - wonder if he died? There's George Arthur, born ca. 1902, as well. Rebecca is still alive at the time. I can't spot a death for her right away.
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline fenty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 July 09 12:27 BST (UK) »

Thank you Tati and Ainslie, we have some old Who's Whos around and have seen his entry but will follow The Times link, I lived at Euxton after my late ma inheirited; it is now a very upmarket cosmetics hospital!

I will carry on and slot these into the tree, interesting about the Bell wagon background - in some ways a pity to have lost this heritage, and am curious to track George's branch to East Anglia.

Kind regards
Sarah

Offline fenty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 July 09 14:20 BST (UK) »

Hi there - last thoughts,

I have just transferred the data collated to paper as I cannot find a family tree template that is userfriendly for a number of generations and free!  The Ancestry one can only do 3 tiers at one time - I need to print out the whole lot!  Any suggestions gratefully accepted...

Lastly stuck with the maiden lines: Rebecca Bell's parents (she died in 1910 and was married to Thomas G Bell parents of Sir Stanley). I have used my token on Ancestry but results are not helping.  On My grandmother's side - Lady Margaret Bell - is nearly done but I have dried up on her own mother's background: Francis (sp Frances?) Richards b. 1867, d. 1907 Wigan m. James Slevin 1884.

Kind regards
Sarah

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 July 09 15:30 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I can't help with the templates - hope someone else can (in the meantime, try a rootschat search :D

Rebecca Bell's parents (she died in 1910 and was married to Thomas G Bell parents of Sir Stanley).
As I said earlier, she seems to be alive and well in 1911.

A FreeBMD search for a marriage Thomas George Bell to Rebecca shows only one result :

Dec 1894 Ormskirk 8b 1233
Thomas George Bell - Rebecca Johnson

The marriage certificate would tell her father's name and occupation. In 1901, she's shown as being born ca. 1869 in Lancashire Summerseat. Let's see if we can find out where Summerseat is on previous censuses...
 "My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 July 09 16:25 BST (UK) »
Brother's Keeper used to be available as shareware, but I have no current information.  Try googling it.

Offline fenty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 July 09 16:33 BST (UK) »

Tati and Ainslie hi

Many thanks for the updates, Rebecca looking interesting, will await any further news - my searches are obviously way out. S. 

Re the software: If cannot sort will try and find someone who can transfer the tree online on for me, the software looks terrifying and I am normally ok with that sort of thing!

Sarah

Offline nic67

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 01 November 09 14:49 GMT (UK) »

Offline lead65sled

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 November 09 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Dear Sarah,

My apologies for the familiarity, we haven't been properly introduced.  Indeed, I don't even know your surname.   This forum has led me to you in search of information regarding Col. Sir Stanley Bell.

I am a simple man of Utah, U.S.A.  I became the owner of a 1957 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud last year;  once ordered for your grandfather, delivered in June of 1957 and appears to have been associated with him while he owned Euxton Hall and was chairman of Astley Industrial Trust.  The car is in poor condition now, but I am confident that I will be able to return it to its former glory over the next few years. 

The information I have for Sir Stanley is limited to what I have discovered here from your posts.  Web resources are limited; I was hoping that you would be able to help.  I would like his biography, a photo of he and his family with the car or any other photo of the car back in the day.  Would you be able to help in this regard?  The history of the car is a fascinating subject, think of it like the history of the Spitfire to some.  I am a bit of an anglophile and am very appreciative of our joint history and the ties we hold as a culture.

Would there be any contacts or artifacts for/from the Astley Industrial Trust that would know what happened to the car after your Grandfather passed away in 1972?  I presume that the company or your family had possession, then it became available for export to the U.S.A.  The history of the car between 1970 and 1990 are a loss to me.  I'm unable to a photo of the car, due to the limitations of this forum.  Back in your grandfather's day the car was midnight blue, rather than the silver and maroon of today.  According to The Rolls-Royce Foundation records, the car was delivered to Loxham Garages, Lancs.  I haven't been able to confirm. 

If you are amenable, would we be able to exchange e-mail addresses?  I anticipate a fruitful correspondence.

Respectfully,
Rich