Author Topic: FORCUS Hugh Robert Nelson  (Read 2388 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: FORCUS Hugh Robert Nelson
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi cando,

I noted also on the newspaper site [above] that the several items are as early as 1895 in WA.Again, about horses and horse sales.
So there was bit of back and forth between states

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 09:21 BST (UK) »
Young George Henry enlisted in 1940 for ww2.
He gives his next of kin as May POTTER. He was discharged in 1945.
Hiis date of birth is 10th April 1915
Wonder if the MAY is Mary, his mother, with he R omitted, or another POTTER relative called MAY .

Sue

Offline Pollycat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 11:50 BST (UK) »
I know quite a lot about George Henry snr.  I recently came across two photos of him in family history files which had belonged to an aunt, and was intrigued by her brief comments.  One thing led to another, and I discovered he was the youngest child of Thomas Ackland, whose eldest daughter Polly emigrated to Perth with 8 (!!) children in 1913.  GH had been born in 1889 at Brooklag Farm, Newdigate, Surrey, and he went out to Perth in 1912, presumably to join Polly's husband, who had gone out earlier to prepare a home for his family.  GH married MJ in Fremantle in 1914, & their son was born in Perth in 1915 by which time GH had volunteered & was based at Aldershot in Surrey.  He was sent to France in August 1915, but tragically in April 1918 he was severely gassed, discharged, and died in his bedroom at Brooklag in Feb 1919.  It seems unlikely that he ever saw his baby son, and his time with MJ was short.  Being an incurable romantic, I hoped that MJ had remarried & found happiness! - whether she was happy we don't know, but she did remarry twice!   I was interested to know more about her life after GH, hence my queries about HRNF.  I already knew that GH jnr had died in 1948 Mum, my brother and I stayed with relatives in Perth for a few weeks that year, and heard that GH jnr was dying of lung cancer.  I could tell you a lot more, but it would take too long . . .

I am a complete beginner in family history, and very much appreciate your comments, Sue & Cando, and very useful links.

PS  I love your cat, Sue!

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Polly,
It sounds as if you have some good familily stories and these are always a great starting point for research.
Many here will agree that there are three definitions of oral histories...
Those which are 100% true
Those which have an element of fact
Those which are 100% untrue.

By far the most fall into the middle category and it is only our modern researches and delvings that we can sometimes distinguish fact from fiction......not always though :o :o

Good to know you are up and running with some links to follow.

Sue

Offline EPB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 December 21 12:04 GMT (UK) »
No info about Hugh, but his father Robert was my GGF - he had two sons before his marriage to Sara, with my GGM.

HRNF married Mary Jane Ackland nee Morley in Perth WA in 1927 - then the trail goes cold!  I have seen HRNF's Military Medal citation on the AIF site.  MJ's first husband, who died in 1919, was my g-g-uncle, George Henry Ackland.  If anyone knows any more about HRNF, or what happened to the two of them after their marriage, please let me know - especially if they had a family.  MJ's son (also George Henry) by her first marriage died in about 1948.

Thank you!