Author Topic: *COMPLETED* Immigration from Ireland to Liverpool  (Read 4580 times)

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* Immigration from Ireland to Liverpool
« on: Thursday 23 July 09 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone...

Hoping someone can help me with this. Been trying to track down information on my great-aunt, Anastasia (Stasia, Stasin) Sullivan born 1903 in Thurles, Co. Tipperary, Ireland to John Sullivan and Bridget Walsh. In July 1922, she was supposed to go to America but didn't get on the boat. Sometime that year, she went to Liverpool and from there went to America in December of the same year, arrived there three days before Christmas.

Hoping someone can help me track her down in Liverpool

Cheers
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration from Ireland to Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 July 09 14:28 BST (UK) »
There weren't records kept of people moving between Ireland and England.  Probably she simply took one ship from Ireland to Liverpool, and then changed in Liverpool; hence, only the Liverpool-NY leg of the journey has been recorded.  Unless she had family to stay with in Liverpool, she probably wasn't there very long.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 July 09 18:17 BST (UK) »
Humm that's a tricky one as jorose said, she may have been in transit in Liverpool.  This is probable as her last known residence is given as Ireland, not Liverpool.  Then again, why didn't she travel from Queenstown, or was Liverpool closer?   However there are a few things you can do if you think she stayed in Liverpool.

You may already have these:

This is the only record of an Anastasia Sullivan: is she the same as yours?

First Name:     Anastasia
Last Name:    Sullivan
Ethnicity:    British, Irish
Last Place of Residence:    Callan, Co Kilkenny, Ireland
Date of Arrival:    Apr 25, 1921
Age at Arrival:  17y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S 
Ship of Travel:    Celtic
Port of Departure:    Queenstown
Manifest Line Number:    0003
Manifest page 229
Anastasia Sullivan  17 F S   Occ Housemaid  Read: Yes/English
City or Town:  Callan Co Kilkenny
Father:  John Sullivan, Kilkenny, Callan  Co Kilkenny
Destination:  NY  New York

Here's  Stasia Sullivan:

First Name:     Stasia
Ethnicity:    British, Irish
Last Place of Residence:    Thurlow Co., Ireland
Date of Arrival:    Jul 16, 1922
Age at Arrival:  19y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S 
Ship of Travel:    Adriatic
Port of Departure:    Queenstown
Manifest Line Number:    0007
Page 460
This sailing she is struck off the manifest - seems to have been going to
Friend:  James Penny  128 Como Ave Buffalo NY

Here she is later the same year:
First Name:     Stasin
Ethnicity:    Gt. Britain, Irish
Last Place of Residence:    Boaladuff, Ireland
Date of Arrival:    Dec 18, 1922
Age at Arrival:  19y    Gender:  F    Marital Status:  S 
Ship of Travel:    Baltic
Port of Departure:    Liverpool
Manifest Line Number:    0006

This time James Penny of Buffalo is noted a brother-in-law.
Length of term  always 'term' written in with something which I believe reads 'indefinate attached to her.'
Been in states before:  Yes
5ft 1  fresh complexion, fair hair, grey eyes

Unfortunately manifests give destination rather than departure addresses - unimportant for them, but interesting for us :)

If Anastasia did stay in Liverpool for a time, I wonder were Penny in Liverpool?  Might be worth looking for PENNY or SULLIVAN in Liverpool Directories?

Historical directories http://www.historicaldirectories.org/hd/index.asp
 - only goes up to 1910's but might be worth a try. There are Gore/Kelly's directories for 1920's  try asking or looking at Resources on Lancashire board.

Even 1911 census might show common links which might give you clues.

Also if you know James was in States in 1920, if you haven't got access yourself, go to USA board and ask someone to look for your James Penny. That way you'd have an age and be able to say which if the James Penny on Ellis Island site was him. 

Also, as James seemed to have married sometime between July and December 1922 (unless 'friend' was a mistake)- have you looked for his wife, Anastasia's sister?  Presumably she crossed from Ireland too?
BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 July 09 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi there gene-genie and jorse,

Thanks a million for that. The 2nd and 3rd records that you gave are my great-aunt but I already have all that information but thank you for looking. I also have got census returns for James Penny in Buffalo with his wife and children on it. None of the family have any idea whether or not my great aunt married so we're a bit stuck there.

I think she may have went to Liverpool between July and was a boarder there but cannot be sure.

Thanks a million again
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline gene-genie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 July 09 18:15 BST (UK) »
You're welcome!

This may help to find out of your great aunt married:

It's a long shot but have you searched this newspaper website:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

Not all newspapers are included, but you can search for specific names, dates and districts and download in jpg2 or pdf.
BRISTOL/GLS/LON:
DENNING -  RIDDLE-DENNING. & Glam TANNER-DENNING, MORGAN, THOMAS, RICE-ADAMS, RITCHINGS, PINGSTONE
DEV:18thC  RICE, Mary, ADAMS, CLARKE,STENTAFORD. MICHLEMORE.
HANTS: RICE-ADAMS, RICE-DEVEREUX-ADAMS (S'hampton), PIPER.  (Hants)
All GLS/Glam/Brks: TOVEY,  WESLEY/WASLEY, GLS/GLAM.  MARSHALL, PEARSON, GREEN, JAYNES  COOMBES, TOMBS.
LANCS: DUNN, Manc. BROWN Dorset
CHS: BROMILEY
SOM:  BALCH.
WLS:  MORRIS, MGY/DEN, WMS, GRIFFITHS,
WTS/Lon: SKUSE
BRKS/Lon: CHURCH. WAKEFIELD