Author Topic: Why would someone lie on a marriage certificate?  (Read 22637 times)

Offline maidmarianoops

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • somewhere over the rainbow
    • View Profile
Re: Why would someone lie on a marriage certificate?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 July 09 02:16 BST (UK) »
hope this helps
sylvia

1901 England Census
Albert Ward 
Age 3 
Est  1898

Father  Thomas
Mother Mary

born Huddersfield, Ireland ????????????
  Huddersfield 
 St Thomas 
 Yorkshire
Mary Ward                  29 
Dyson Ward                  3 
Albert Ward                  3 
Thomas Ward              1 month 
Joseph Lockwood      23 
Jauly Lockwood         20 
Grace Lockwood        18 months 
notts/derbys clark
      "        "      stenson
        "       "    nicholson
       "     "        jarvis
                         castledine
    rhodes

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 July 09 06:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia, (Silver surfer)

Bang on target as usual. Old robin hood teaching his archrary! hola opp-a

Thought so! No reason to lie at that age. Theres only one Huddersfield . England (Ireland????? Mistake)

Funny thing though I was baptised at St Thomas's in Huddersfield and My Dad.

I have two grannies who aged or gained 5/6 years at death from marriage age both with odd ball married names.

Robin hood in Auzzy now theres is a ponder! MaidMarian

Dobby
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 July 09 07:07 BST (UK) »
I know this may seem daft, but have you verified the bride was actually 21?

People needed parental permission to marry under 21, the most common little "lie" was to state you were over 21 to get round  that.    Now if she was only 16/17/18 and he was 26 the gap is larger.  Perhaps they married without the parents knowing.
Are the witnesses family members?

Jenny
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 July 09 07:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Ebor,
Try finding one of the siblings Births, as addresses were on the Birtn cert by the 1920 ( I think) You Live I note in York! so access the Electoral registers in Libraries/Archive offices. Try and work back using them. If the Marriage was by licence Marriage by Allegation. There will be records on this at the Borthwick centre at York Uni. Also try finding Alberts death year. (Wills) (Parish burial records)There are 3 or 4 Albert's in the Birth Gro BMDs born 1893/1895 in York. So one has to find the families of the other 2/3 to eliminate by location in York on the Electoral Registers. The fathers occupation is a good yard stick! archive offices will have school records, Employment records them years. Trade Directories Ie Barber -Blacksmith and so on.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past is a foreign country, how can we go there
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 July 09 08:25 BST (UK) »
Hi all, thanks for your effort and wonderful information! I really appreciate! You're all brill.

Anyway, there are a few problems, and I'm pretty sure he's not the Huddersfield one.....

I know that Albert's father is called Charles. On his marriage certificate it says 'Charles Ward (deceased)' under the father. Also, on the same marriage certificate the witness is 'H. Ward' and when I have had a quick look at the electoral rolls, Albert is living with one other person - Harry Ward.

As stated earlier, there is a family in York that correspond to those names - in 1901 they can be seen at  RG13/4436/88/28. And a quick take off is here:

Charles Ward     52
Elizabeth Ward    52
Mary Ward    24
George Ward    21
Rebecca Ward    18
Edward Ward    17
Benjamin Ward    12
Harry Ward    9
Albert Ward    7
Arthur Ward    8 months

This family can be followed through, with dates and ages matching through the decades, so this would be quite a strong case if it wasn't for the marriage certificate!!

None of my living relatives know anything about the people listed above, they don't know where they were born, or where they died, but I am assuming this is York, for at least Albert, as his son (my grandad) was born in York.

If I could just get one more piece of evidence to show that the 1898 Albert is infact the 1895 one then I can move forward!!!

Thanks though so far everyone!!

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 July 09 08:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ebor,
Try finding one of the siblings Births, as addresses were on the Birtn cert by the 1920 ( I think) You Live I note in York! so access the Electoral registers in Libraries/Archive offices. Try and work back using them. If the Marriage was by licence Marriage by Allegation. There will be records on this at the Borthwick centre at York Uni. Also try finding Alberts death year. (Wills) (Parish burial records)There are 3 or 4 Albert's in the Birth Gro BMDs born 1893/1895 in York. So one has to find the families of the other 2/3 to eliminate by location in York on the Electoral Registers. The fathers occupation is a good yard stick! archive offices will have school records, Employment records them years. Trade Directories Ie Barber -Blacksmith and so on.

Good Morning dobfarm,

Yes I do indeed live in York, and go to the archives/local studies libraries quite a lot. I'm just a bit unsure as to my next steps though! But all the above is great info which I will try to digest!

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 July 09 08:41 BST (UK) »
What do you guys think of this???? ......

I have just done an EXACT search on the 1901 census.

For an Albert Ward born 1895 +/-2 years with Charles as a Father and Harry as a sibling and ..... there is one return. The family I have found in York! I'm thinking more and more that this is the family I have been longing to find and it's strengthened even further imho as Harry (albert's witness) ages are so close together, where in the other potentials, there can be 15 or so years between them ......

Offline Miss Trees

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 July 09 08:46 BST (UK) »
This is an interesting question and I've often wondered myself -
My gg grandparents were married in Ireland in 1868 just before moving to England. He is stated as 'full' age and she was a 'minor'. Would 'full age' have been over 21? He definitely was not, in fact they were around the same age - about 17/18. Could it be then that he did not have his parents' permission, but she did? The witnesses are nobody I recognize, certainly not the parents.

This may be the only place she didn't lie about her age....  when the British census man came calling she managed to lose a few years every time until by 1901 she was nearly a decade younger that she really was. Her husband was not so obliging so by 1911 she gained all the years back :D

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 July 09 08:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Ebor,
I would by pass Albert and work on Charles Ward! Birth Marriage and Death (Grave Mi's Dedecations WILLS etc) the come back to Albert. Those Electoral reg's will take you to present Day. Newspapers ect. Take a camping bed to Archive offie/Library.Candle and Flask.

Good hunting
As Huddersfield MaidMarian OOps working on the age 22 birth year 1898........... but good try. Sylvia

Dobby