Author Topic: Quarry maternity home,  (Read 71079 times)

Offline margaretmag

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quarry maternity home,
« Reply #54 on: Friday 26 July 13 11:21 BST (UK) »
I was also here at The Quarry in 1968, from April to July, many memories, so many tears.

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 27 July 13 17:55 BST (UK) »
hi the quarry was definately in lincoln on wragby rd.

Offline Sarah-Helen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 23 August 13 00:35 BST (UK) »
I was also here at The Quarry in 1968, from April to July, many memories, so many tears.

Hi, sorry to bother you. Do you remember a girl of 17 called Catherine Watkins, who had a baby girl at the end of April? She would have left The Quarry by the middle of June that year. She was 5'3" with brown hair.

Thank you.

Offline Sarah-Helen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 05 September 13 20:10 BST (UK) »
I was at Quarry in 1968. Still being used as maternity - both married & unmarried.
Fun place - not like so many horror stories of other 'homes'!
It was Wragby Road Lincoln.

Hi, you didnt happen to be in the Quarry between April and June 1968, did you? I am trying to find someone who remembers my mother, her name was Catherine, she was 17 and 5'3" with brown hair. She gave birth to me on 27th of April and named me Sarah-Helen.
Any memories you have, even if not of my mum would be good to hear. I am wanting to find out anything I can about her and about the way life was in the maternity home for all of you mums there.

If you would be happy to give me any info it would really mean a lot to me.

Thanks,

Sarah.

Offline Sarah-Helen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 05 September 13 20:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Eilleen!

I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who was there in 1968 or around that time.
How many girls were there and what was it like? I love the story about sunbathing on the roof! - although I understand that was a brief interlude of fun in what was otherwise very tough times.
Many thanks, Natalie

Hi Natalie,

I was there in 1968, but as I was born there in April that year, I have no memories of the place. I just wanted to say hello to you, as its good to know there are others out there who have had a similar start in life to me.
Have you made contact with any of your birth family?
I am wanting to find my birth mum but havent really started searching properly as I dont have a lot of information to go on!

Bye for Now,

Sarah

Offline Anita271064

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 02 October 13 07:06 BST (UK) »
Hello my name is Jo, I have just found out I was Born at the Quarry from my original BirthCertificate. I was born there in October 1964. My birth Mothers name was Diane and she was from Nottingham. If anyone has any information they can share with me, it would be great. I now live in Australia and have since I was 11.

thanks Jo

Offline BillCl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 25 October 13 07:19 BST (UK) »
I was born at the quarry in 1961.  I was adopted from there and in my late 40s traced my birth mother.  I would recommend that anyone seeking to contact their birth mother should read extensively about the subject and then, having spent the necessary time in The National Archive using BMD records, use an intermediary to make contact.  The intermediary can check your research and will make contact on your behalf.

Offline Judy Craig

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Friday 08 November 13 22:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I was born at the Quarry in Feb 1958. My mother was *.  I am just in the process of obtaining my adoption file.  If anyone has any memories of my mother I would be pleased to hear them. I am not sure wether I will contact her but am just wanting to find out as much as I can re her story.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 10 November 13 09:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Judy , welcome to RootsChat  :)

Sorry , I've had to remove your mother's name as it's against RC policy to post information about living or possibly living persons on the open Forum.
It's amazing what search engines can pick up from the internet these days.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records