Author Topic: Quarry maternity home,  (Read 71195 times)

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Quarry maternity home,
« Reply #72 on: Saturday 12 July 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
Hi , the people at Orchard St. are very helpful. They brought my adoption records to my house and stayed for a couple of hours to make sure I was ok.       You will have to have counselling before seeing your records.                                     Sue

Offline Mrspopmyster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Monday 04 August 14 00:40 BST (UK) »
I was born at The Quarry in June 1964 and adopted 6 weeks later.  I have met my birth mother but she has subsequently died.  Her name was Sylvia turner and she was from peterborough.  I just wondered if anyone knew her?  She wanted to call me Susan (it's now my middle name) so maybe I was called Susan in the home ??  I'm interested in what it was like at the home.  I wonder what her interactions would have been with me during those 6 weeks?  Do you think I will have been breast fed? 

Offline girlieflier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 21 August 14 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hi could anyone tell me if the Quarry was at any time known as the Bromhead. I was born at Bromhead Maternity Home , Lincoln in October 1958 and placed for adoption. I believe it was also on Wragby Rd and wondered if they were connected at all?
I am in possession of my adoption file but have not been able to trace my birth mother although I know her name , she was 17 when she had me and that she was from Nocton Heath. She married in October 1966 but not to my father. I also know the name of the man she married. I also know my fathers name and that he was approx 29 but no other information( My adoptive parents told me she died before I was adopted but I know this to be false as there is documentary evidence to the contrary ie she married as above.) However all further attempts to gather information have drawn a blank
I was adopted at 6 weeks old and taken to live in Grimsby

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Friday 22 August 14 08:33 BST (UK) »
The Bromhead was a different place, on Nettleham Road.  It is now the "Lincoln Hospital".  See GoogleMaps http://tinyurl.com/n65vxho

Image from 1957 directory-
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline girlieflier

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Friday 22 August 14 09:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Geoff much appreciated

Offline a-l

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Monday 06 October 14 13:06 BST (UK) »
Hi girlieflyer, just seen your post as I haven't been here for awhile.                     As Geoff said the Bromhead was / is on Nettleham Rd , it was a private hospital even in the fifties . So someone had to pay for your mother to be there.                       I hope that's of interest . Sue.           

Offline feny4444

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 20:47 GMT (UK) »
hello
my names chris, (m)
i was born at the quarry on 08/04/1965
im trying to find my birth mother i know my fathers name not my mothers
im not sure the best way to find out really any help would be gratefully received
thankyou chris

Offline Mrspopmyster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 21:54 GMT (UK) »
hello
my names chris, (m)
i was born at the quarry on 08/04/1965
im trying to find my birth mother i know my fathers name not my mothers
im not sure the best way to find out really any help would be gratefully received
thankyou chris

Chris, when I wanted to trace my birthmother I contacted my local social services department who just happened to be part of Lincolnshire county council. A social worker came round my house to talk to me and to see, as he put it, whether I was stable enough to meet my mother. I gave them what information I had and I'm not sure how long it took but then he came back to see me with an envelope that was my file that he had acquired from Lincs county council archives department. I was able to keep the file and he was able to tell me where my birth mother was. Interestingly, she was still living in the same house that she had been living at the time I was born. He asked if I wanted to contact her direct or if he should do it on my behalf. I asked him to do it as I felt it might be too much of a shock for her if I rang directly. Sorry, that was a bit long winded but I think your first port of call may well be your local social services department. I hope this helps.

Offline k11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello im just new to this im trying to trace my birth mother i have just found out her name jean mary i was born 9th dec 1963 and was called john daryll dose anyone remember her she was from melton mowbray