Author Topic: Halls of Wrekenton  (Read 2593 times)

Offline DiddyDumpling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Locations mainly DUR & NBL, some AYR and Ulster
    • View Profile
Halls of Wrekenton
« on: Friday 24 July 09 21:23 BST (UK) »
Researching Halls of Lamesley, Wrekenton, Eighton Banks.  They were very involved in the chapel at Wrekenton.
Hall, Murphy, Russell, Forster, Arnell, Dougall, Dennison, Gibson, Humble, Allison, Usher, Dewar, Myers, Tallentyre, Fatherly.  Mainly located in County Durham & Northumberland but some in Lancashire, Ayreshire, Lanarkshire and Ulster.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Halls of Wrekenton
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 July 09 10:00 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome to Rootschat  :)

Would you like to give more details of the family you're researching, what you already know and what information you're looking for, then someone may be able to help

If you click on 'surnames' at the top of the page you'll be able to see which other Rootschatters are researching Halls in that area, and after you've made a couple more replies will be able to send personal messages to them.  You could also add your names and dates to the list, if you haven't already done so.

Kind regards
Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline DiddyDumpling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 July 09 19:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Barbara

My Grandfather was Thomas Arnell Hall 1878-1966.  He was born at Teams, Low Fell but the family lived at Wrekenton and Eighton Banks for a great many years.  His parents were George Hall 1857-1935, an under manager at Teams (Shop) pit after starting work below ground in the mines and Margaret Grace Arnell 1859-1939 who was born at Wrekenton, the daughter of local stone mason and builder Thomas Arnell.  George and Margaret had 9 children in total, my grandfather being the eldest, they were Margaret Jane b 1880, Mary Grace b 1881, Walter b 1883, Annie 1888, William b 1890, George b 1894, Edwin 1896-1908 and Grace b 1900.

My great grandfather, George 1857-1935, was the sone of Cuthbert Hall 1827-1891 and Sarah Gibson, 1828-1905 and they had 5 children.  In addition to my great grandfather there were, William b 1854, Jane b 1859, Margaret b 1861 and Anne b 1864.

Cuthbert was the eldest of 4 children of William Hall 1798-1889 born at Shotley in NBL, and Margaret Maddison 1804-1889 born at Whickham.  The family lived in the Lamesley and Wrekenton areas, the other children were Jane b 1830, John b 1832 and William b 1837.

I won't go on.  This should be sufficient for anyone else researching this family to identify them.

I should like to discover more about the lines of descent from these siblings and any other details about their lives.

I know that the Halls and Arnells were very heavily involved with the Methodist chapels around and about Wrekenton/Eighton Banks/Gateshead area but I should like to learn as much about them as I can.  Just plain nosey I guess.

Regards
Dennis
Hall, Murphy, Russell, Forster, Arnell, Dougall, Dennison, Gibson, Humble, Allison, Usher, Dewar, Myers, Tallentyre, Fatherly.  Mainly located in County Durham & Northumberland but some in Lancashire, Ayreshire, Lanarkshire and Ulster.

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 13:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Dennis

Welcome to RootsChat. There is a post that has mention of Arnell's and Hall's at this link http://www.rootschat.com/links/06sa/

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline DiddyDumpling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 19:31 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the link, I'm sure I'll find much of interest.  As it happens I've been in touch with one of the people posting Arnell items for some years now.

Thank you for the welcome.

Regards
Dennis

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Dennis

I have a photograph of an Arnell gravestone from St Thomas Eighton Banks that reads.

In Affectionate Rememberance of
Thomas son of
Thomas & Mary Grace Arnell
who died January 9th 1863
aged 11 months
and was interred at Gateshead Fell
also of Mary their daughter
who died July 7th 1880
aged 18 years
twin children of the above
The above Mary Grace Arnell
who died January 3rd 1894
aged 57
The above Thomas Arnell
who died september 13th 1917
aged 83

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline nbkuja76

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Re from Preshous: Hi Dennis

I have a photograph of an Arnell gravestone from St Thomas Eighton Banks that reads.

In Affectionate Rememberance of
Thomas son of
Thomas & Mary Grace Arnell
who died January 9th 1863
aged 11 months
and was interred at Gateshead Fell
also of Mary their daughter
who died July 7th 1880
aged 18 years
twin children of the above
The above Mary Grace Arnell
who died January 3rd 1894
aged 57
The above Thomas Arnell
who died september 13th 1917
aged 83

These are my relatives! = can you e-mail me a copy of the photograph? John Arnell, e-mail johnandjill@optonline.net

Offline DiddyDumpling

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 16 February 10 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

I've emailed the photos to you.

Take care

Clive

Offline Daveycooper

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 July 20 19:53 BST (UK) »
Is anyone in this thread still interested in the Arnell’s of Eighton Banks?