Author Topic: old photos  (Read 3313 times)

Offline Malcommon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: old photos
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 July 09 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,  looking closely at the pictures I agree with mims,  I think that they are both taken in Australia.
I have never seen any photogaphs of miners in the North of England wearing bush type hats like those.
I think that the Army uniforms and especially the boots would suggest Australia to me.
regards malcolm

Offline Malcommon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 July 09 17:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Kallie50.
I have just noticed another possible clue to it being Australia, the guy standing 3rd from the right in the miners photograph is actually holding two "billy cans".
Malcolm

Offline Malcommon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 26 July 09 17:19 BST (UK) »
with reference to the photograph of the guys in the cabin,  look at the hat being held by the guy who is
second from the right it would seem to be an Anzac type hat, with the left side folded up and a badge on it.
Malcolm.

Offline Malcommon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 July 09 17:20 BST (UK) »
sorry i meant 3rd from the right.
Malcolm

Offline Malcommon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 July 09 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Kallie, I hope you dont mind but I have enhanced the photograph of the cabin shot and I am attempting to attach it ( which may or not work as I haven't attached anything to this site before.
malcolm

Offline Malcommon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 26 July 09 17:52 BST (UK) »
Kallie, it appears that the photo I enhanced has replaced your original one of the cabin shot.

as for the photograph it has stuck up in my last post, I have no idea where that came from as I have never seen it before in my life.

Malcolm.

Offline kallie50

• RootsChat Member
  • ready for bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 27 July 09 13:22 BST (UK) »
thanks to everyone for the ideas/suggestions etc.

the miners photo is definately a possibiliy to be in Australia.  My ancestors came from the northumberland mines in England to the hunter valley of new south wales, Australia in the early 1900's.  The only pit I knew of in the early days I think was called Hebburn no 1 and was in a little township called Weston (where I was born and grew up)

thats a clever observation, Malcolm, you're right it definately does look like a couple of billy cans.

as far as I know on there wasnt any of my ancestors involved in the military in australia.  I have other militiary photos of some ancestors from northumberland.  I will make some more enquiries up in the hunter valley and let everyone know the results

regards
Lynne
Northumberland:  Mather, Walton, Hogg, Pearson
Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire: Noyes, Howard, Partridge

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 27 July 09 13:49 BST (UK) »
It is interesting that you think none of your ancestors were involved in the military in Aus. That might well be the case, though, it is very interesting for me as my dad and I have just this year rediscovered a family collection of over 700 photo's and there are some real gems in the collection, however some of the men are not individuals associated with the family. One amazing little picture has the very tantalising words written on the back;  :o :o

"Mary
......d you the love of Jimmy
......n't show it to any one"

Mary is possibly one of two we know of in the family....... long since deceased, but the man in the picture even my Gt Aunt who is 91 doesn't know, or she claims not to know as one Mary was her mother and the other her sister! I would say by the apparel the chap is wearing and the seeming age of the picture it is most likely to be my Gt Aunts mother who received the picture. So what Mary was getting up to I don't know, so it may well be that the picture is of relevance more to a female than a male in your family. In another branch of my family a Gt Aunt was very much involved with an Italian POW called Silvio, I have managed to gather together scraps of information and bring them together, and if I understand the Italian writing correctly I believe Silvio and my Gt Aunt Marjorie would have married, but it never happened as he went back to Rome after the war (WW2). She never did marry.

I love finding out these tidbits of info, just a shame no-one is left to be able to ask outright what was going on........ though they would probably have told fibs........ ;)

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.