Author Topic: Parsons marriage lookup Guernsey  (Read 12586 times)

Offline bristol170

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parsons marriage lookup Guernsey
« Reply #9 on: Friday 09 October 09 23:06 BST (UK) »
Looking at other posts in this thread I noticed Alfred Knight Parsons, presumably the same man that married Emma Perrett on April 29 1874. Emma is related to some of my father's cousins here in Guernsey, as his Uncle Sam Forsey married Gladys Perrett dtr of William Burt Perrett.

Small world!

Andy

Offline G Parsons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 10 October 09 09:09 BST (UK) »
Yes indeed, my great Grandfather married Emma Perrett, my great grandmother. We must be related! We do fondly wonder if descendants of Jacob Parsons - or indeed Thomas, Jacob's father, are still in Guernsey. All Alfred Knight's lot went to New Zealand!
I hope to visit the Priaulx Library next year if we manage to get to Guernsey.
Cheers

Offline cherlock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 19 March 10 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello fellow Parsons posters :D

I was hoping someone might be able to tell me when John Hamilton Parsons married Margaret Lydia Alexander, plus when & where they both died? I think John remarried to Alice FALLA between 1891 & 1901 in SPP.

I do know that John had a business sign painted above the Post Office in St Peter Port, "J. H. Parsons - Seedman & Florist", adjacent to the Guille-Alles Library. He also had 2 daughters, Ada b: c. 1872 & Margaret W. b: c. 1875. Being Alfred Knight Parsons' brother, would anyone on this thread have any further information about John & his family?

For the record, I am researching John & Margaret's 1st son, Henry John Parsons b: 3 Nov 1867, who married my g-grandfather's oldest sister in Guernsey in 1892. It is said in our family, that Henry died on an Ocean Liner on his way to Madrid, which would've been sometime after 1911 when Henry, his wife Frances & son Archibald were living in Middlesex.

Alfred's brother Edward (1869-1933) also moved over to London & helped build the business of "PARSONS & CO" with Hugh Lauchlan Wright at Covent Garden Market, 27 James St in London, the White Rock Stores in Guernsey and at Candleriggs in Glasgow.

Any information on this side of the family would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
Cherlock

Offline G Parsons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 10 April 10 02:06 BST (UK) »
HI Cherlock,
According to John Hamilton Parsons' obituary of the Guernsey Evening Press 29 July 1921 JH Parsons died at 4.45pm at "Santa Cruz" King's Road on Thursday 28th July. Has certainly a remarkable businessman and mover and shaker in the horticultural and produce exporting business. Interestingly, his nephew, Frank Parsons (Alfred Knight Parsons' son and my grandfather) played a very similar role by helping to establish the dairy industry in New Zealand and every portion of Anchor Butter you buy is, in a small way, thanks to him. The obituary does not give dates of the wives deaths, but his second wife (Falla) survived him.
According to this record Harry died in Autumn 1920 on a voyage to South Africa. Perhaps Madrid was the first port of call. Edward is mentioned as the manager of Parsons & Co Ltd. a Mrs Bailey who did work for infant health and Margaret Parsons who was a well known Children's portrait photographer.
Cheers
G Parsons

Offline G Parsons

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 10 April 10 02:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Cherlock
…I have more! According to the John Hamilton Parsons headstone in the Foulon Cemetery, Guernsey,
Margaret Lydia Alexander died 21 January 1875 (you are asked not to "weep as she is not dead, but sleeping")
Henry John Parsons, buried at sea 5th November 1920,
Alice Mary Falla, 9th December 192?.
Also it seems JH Parsons and Alice Falla had a son whi died 22 March 1898.

I notice on the census, that JH Parsons, as a widower had his parents, Jacob and Rachel living with him, and that his youngest daughter, Margaret, was 6 yrs which suggests that his first wife may have died in childbirth.

The Priaulx Library SPP Guernsey evidently has a significant file on the Parsons, and in addition, La Société Guernesiaise has done some significant research on the family. Unfortunately that is the other side of the world for me.
G Parsons

Offline cherlock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 10 April 10 04:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Graham. That's fantastic.  :D
Thank you very, very much for all of this information. A fellow PARSONS researcher (down-line from Job & Louisa) is venturing over to Guernsey this month & he offered to do lookups for me on JHP, so now his research will be made a whole lot easier, thanks to your contribution.

It was interesting to read about Anchor Butter - know it well (I'm in Qld, OZ). Back in 1880, my grandmother's father (not a Parsons) imported into Auckland a Cow & Calf, 2 heifers & a Bull named "Melbourne" out of prized import cow "Argus" - all bred from Alderney stock. "Melbourne" won a 1st Class prize, another 2x1st prizes were also won plus 1 x 2nd at the Sydney Show circa 1879. Apparently the "Alderney" breed was renowned for it's rich butter producing qualities. I wonder if your grandfather bred this line of dairy cattle?

You wrote in your 1st reply that- a Mrs Bailey who did work for infant health - was mentioned in John's obit.
Mrs Bailey was daughter Ada, as you also mentioned daughter Margaret Parsons (the children's portrait painter). Was there no mention of son Edward Parsons on John's obituary?
(This sentence is an update to original message: Edward's 1st wife was named Elizabeth BAILEY, but she died in 1895 over in London. A Florence Bailey {21} was a servant in Edward's home in 1911 in Surbiton, Surrey).

I have a little more information on this line if it's of any interest to you.

Thanks once again for sharing - your help is very much appreciated.
Cherlock

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 May 10 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi all,
Sorry I have not replied to everyone. Been a very trying time since July last year.
Any time now we will have a new twig to add to the tree.
Our daughter and her Partner Tom who started all this Parson's research are about to give birth.
Tom is the one descended from the Parson's line.
Thank you to everyone for the help and info.
I am just sorting through to add to the tree so I can pass it onto Tom's mum Sue Parson's.
We will all be at the hospital in the next few hours or so, so thought some genealogy would help pass the time.
Oh the baby is a girl we have known that for some time. Just hope they read the scan right other wise there is going to be one little boy dressed in a lot of pink stuff.
Regards
Sue Greene.

Offline Sue Greene

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 06 May 10 01:20 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I am getting a bit confused, mind you not hard to do for me.
You mention Alfred's borth Edward below.
However the only Edward I have from the census is Edward born about 1842.
The one you mention below would have been born much latter.
I don't have another Alfred either.
I have been working through on the census up to 1901.
Can you let me know where these two tie in.
Cheers
sue

Alfred's brother Edward (1869-1933) also moved over to London & helped build the business of "PARSONS & CO" with Hugh Lauchlan Wright at Covent Garden Market, 27 James St in London, the White Rock Stores in Guernsey and at Candleriggs in Glasgow.

Thanks in advance.
Cherlock

Offline cherlock

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 11 May 10 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue.
It's not you who is confused - it's me. DAH!
I should've said Alfred's NEPHEW - the Edward PARSONS 1869-1933 - son of John Hamilton Parsons & Margaret Lydia Alexander/Alexandre. So sorry about that! I don't know what happened to Alfred's brother Edward {b: 19 Nov 1842}.

BTW: Graham P. has very kindly provided me with additional information on my research into JHP & MLA.

My g-grandfather also came from Guernsey & settled here in Oz. His oldest sister married Henry John PARSONS - son of JHP & MLA. The Edward b: 1869 was Henry's brother, so that is why I am interested in the PARSONS from Guernsey. HJP identified the body of my g-g-grandfather after his ship went down off Cornwall in 1897 on his way back to Guernsey from Swansea.

Again, I am so sorry for the confusion.

Hope all went well with your daughter & Tom's new arrival :)
Warmest regards
Cherlock

Hi there,
I am getting a bit confused, mind you not hard to do for me.
You mention Alfred's borth Edward below.
However the only Edward I have from the census is Edward born about 1842.
The one you mention below would have been born much latter.
I don't have another Alfred either.
I have been working through on the census up to 1901.
Can you let me know where these two tie in.
Cheers
sue

Thanks in advance.
Cherlock
Your are quite right in saying that Alfred had a brother named Edward {born: 19 Nov 1842 SPP}