Author Topic: Aliens internment WW1  (Read 1375 times)

Offline sand

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Aliens internment WW1
« on: Sunday 26 July 09 15:01 BST (UK) »
A friend of mine has been trying for some considerable time to find out more about her grandfather to no avail. I am wondering if some of the wise and learned folks of Rootschat can help. Here goes....

Her grandfather a Joseph WOOD lived and worked in LEEDS in the early 1900s.
Just after the start of WW1 3 men arrived at the family home to take the family away for internment. My friend's mother thought it was to the Isle of Wight (she was only a child at the time) but I can only find reference to people being sent to the Isle of Man. Joseph was never taken away though because he had recently died and the rest of the family were allowed to stay.

My friend does not know what nationality her grandfather was. She only knows that he spoke with an accent and thinks that he may have been German and probably Jewish. She got a birth certificate showing that he was born in Hull but she does not believe that this is correct. She also thinks that he changed his name to WOOD as many aliens did at that time.

Can anyone suggest who to get into contact with or offer any suggestions. I am intrigued to know more about her ancestry. I'm always telling her that she looks foreign - very black hair and a certain shaped nose.....!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sand

Offline HannahR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researcher in the Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Aliens internment WW1
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 January 19 17:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Sand,

There were around 452 internment camps in Britain so it may be a bit tricky to find out exactly where he was sent. That being said there were very few internment camps for families. As far as I am aware Isle of Man was only for civilian males. It may be worth checking the local papers in Leeds first as they tended to round up 'Aliens' in groups especially if they were transferred.

There is the Internment Research Centre in Hawick [I am the archivist there] but it is still a work in progress and the archive is still being built. It was only launched in November of last year. There is a map with the camps on the website which is still being added to if that helps stobscamp.org/irc.

Sorry to not be of more help at the moment.

Best of luck in your search,
Hannah
The following names appear in my family tree: Bells [Dumfries], Todd [Perth], McLean [Campbeltown], Newson [Suffolk], Fosse(y) [Buckinghamshire], Butler [Glamorganishire], Jenkins [Glamorgan/ England], Tilling or Telling [Gloucestershire]

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 19 January 19 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi sand,

I don't know whether or not you have seen this site but it looked quite interesting:
https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/prisoners_of_war_and_internees_great_britain

I suppose if she is intrigued enough about her ancestry the obvious choice these days would be to suggest DNA testing....

Good luck with your quest!
CD

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 19 January 19 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Hannah, you are correct re Isle of Man in WW1.
Knockaloe was a big camp (more like a township!), and there was a second camp near Douglas, Cunnibgham's Camp.

Both camps catered only for male internees.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline HannahR

• RootsChat Extra
  • Researcher in the Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 19 January 19 17:24 GMT (UK) »
I don't know whether or not you have seen this site but it looked quite interesting:
https://encyclopedia.1914-1918-online.net/article/prisoners_of_war_and_internees_great_britain

This is one of our sources of information. We are working with Dr. Panikos Panayi on this project.

Thanks for confirming that KGarrad.

Hannah
The following names appear in my family tree: Bells [Dumfries], Todd [Perth], McLean [Campbeltown], Newson [Suffolk], Fosse(y) [Buckinghamshire], Butler [Glamorganishire], Jenkins [Glamorgan/ England], Tilling or Telling [Gloucestershire]