Author Topic: Streatham Park Cemetery, London  (Read 42081 times)

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Streatham Park Cemetery, London
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Ronni

Sorry for the delay.

I did get down to look at the area & there is no Memorial on that grave.

I`ll have another check tomorrow morning, just to make sure I wasn`t mis-reading the numbers, I believe there are 2 unmarked graves 1 of which is your Number between marked graves, so I don`t think I`m wrong, but I`ll get some pics & you can see for your self.

I`ll have my Camera with me tomorrow, didn`t have it with me today, because I was off out somewhere straight after looking.

Steve

Offline ronni

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Yes I think you are right. I think the stone was removed in May 1983 for a relawning project and the family were supposed to have received a letter about this but probably did not notify the cemetery of a change of address. It's such a shame and sad.

A photo would be good but only if it's not bother to you.

Thanks for your efforts.

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 04 February 10 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Its not a problem taking a photo, so long as its not p`ing down.

At this moment its raining, but I`m a few miles away from Streatham, so it may be different there.

Steve

Offline mloosemore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mark Loosemore
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 28 February 11 17:11 GMT (UK) »
I have been in touch with Streatham Park cemetery this morning regarding my ggfathers grave. They were very helpful and confirmed the square and plot number for me and that they did not think there had been any work which might have resulted in the memorial being removed.

I plan to visit at the end of March and wondered whether anyone who already has a map can tell me where Square 17 is within the cemetery. Apparently it is supposed to be fairly near the car park. An extract of the map would be helpful if you can do it.

Thanks
Loosemore, Coe, Shepard, Benham

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 28 February 11 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I`m sure I had a map of the grounds from previous visits, easily available from the office.

Are you planning a visit during the week or at the weekend?

If you PM me I may be able to assist further.

Offline howellbp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 11 March 11 23:23 GMT (UK) »
I thought I'd add to the glowing references for Streatham Park Cemetery.

Today was my first visit to a cemetery to look for an ancestor's grave (Charles Frederick Fackrell, who died in 1948) and I have nothing but praise for Michelle, Roy, Zoe and Gary.

I had a grave number from an "In loving memory" card with the grave number, and a phone call to Michelle confirmed that he was buried there in a "common grave". Until then, I didn't know what a common grave was. I do now - he was buried with 19 others and I was advised that the area was grassed over and that there was unlikely to be any headstones.

On visiting, not only did they provide me with a map, but Gary took me to the actual location of the grave. As a common grave, you haven't the precise location of a marked grave but, with Gary's help to pace it out, I was happy that I was at my great grandfather's resting place.

Bryan

Howell, Wray, Purser, Fackrell, Macey, Hillyard, Willy, Proudman, Groves, Pescud, Clarkson, Fenn, Green, Clifton, Branch, Glover

Offline kiwibev

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 09 July 11 12:36 BST (UK) »
Hello from New Zealand,

I apologise for posting my request here but I am going around in circles trying to find out where I should post it.   I would very much like a photograph of an ancestors gravestone    We have just discovered that Martha Woods is buried in Streatham Park Cemetery in Grave No 52435, Square 28A. 
If anyone could assist  I would be extremely grateful.

Thank you so much,
KiwiBev

Offline mloosemore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Mark Loosemore
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 09 July 11 14:26 BST (UK) »
Hi KiwiBev,

Unfortunately I live too far away top be able to help with any photographs for you. I visited the Cemetery as planned earlier this year and although like others I successfully found the location of my relatives as with so many graves the headstones had long gone. In fact I have a photograph of the new headstone in 1931 and fully expected it to be there still. But a lot of this cemetery has been grassed over.

As for area 28A I have had a look for you on Google maps and there do not seem to be many headstones in that part of the cemetery.

Hopefully someone who lives closer may be able to check this for you.
Loosemore, Coe, Shepard, Benham

Offline stevieuk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 15 July 11 08:57 BST (UK) »
Kiwibev

You can contact the cemetery and ask the question yourself.

http://www.dignityfunerals.co.uk/crematoria/index.asp?pageid=20&fd=572

Don`t be put off by the fact its for South London Crematorium, it is the same place & office.

The emails are forwarded to the site and they will respond direct to you.

Hope this helps.

Steve