Author Topic: Please can anyone help me translate WW1 service records?  (Read 6607 times)

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past is a foreign country, how can we go there
    • View Profile
Please can anyone help me translate WW1 service records?
« on: Tuesday 28 July 09 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have been lucky enough to be able to find my gt grandfathers WW1 service record. This is really amazing as my grandmother (who is 81 herself) knows next to nothing about her father (she was in a Barnados home from an early age) and so it would mean the world to me/her (and my mum!) if I could decipher this for her and tell here what he was doing/where he was etc etc etc.

Unfortunately I am useless at reading these things, and my military knowledge is severely lacking.

I know it's probably a big job to go through these but I would be eternally grateful if anyone was to be so kind. I would even be willing to send a little gift or donate to a charity of your choice. :)

Sorry to be a pain.

Cheers,

Ebor

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Please can anyone help me translate WW1 service records?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 18:31 BST (UK) »

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 22:55 BST (UK) »
I've had a quick look at your man's documents and - as far as I can decipher them - there is the following information:

Reuben J Blatchford [113441] of 105 Pembroke Street, Devonport aged 29 years and six months [on 19th October 1915] by trade a shoeing smith, a single man, attested on 19th October 1915 at Plymouth and was certified fit to serve on 1st March 1916 at Exeter.[not totally sure of that date] 

He was born at Collingham[?] in Cornwall

Height 5 feet 5 ½ inches
Weight 138 lbs
Chest 40 inches when fully expanded – 3 inches of expansion
Next of kin: John and Elizabeth Blatchford – parents

His medical showed defective sight but he was passed fit for service in the field.

Statement of Services
Service counted from 19th October 1915
Passed at Hilsea on 20th October 1915
Posted initially to No. 3 Depot RFA

Posted to 13th reserve Battalion on 22nd October 1915
Posted to [?] as driver on 16th March 1916
Can’t read the next entry

Embarked at Southampton on 2nd June 1916
Disembarked at Le Harve on 3rd June 1916
[Next part v. difficult to read]
Seems to have been admitted to hospital in France sometime in 1916 and then what looks like “invalided to England” in January 1917
Elsewhere recorded as being in hospital with Trench feet between 4th January 1917 and 28th February 1918
He was then posted as a driver to 5c Reserve Brigade on what looks like 3rd May 1917

Posted back to France on 20th June 1917
I can’t read which unit or brigade he was posted to

He was in hospital “sick” on 29th April 1918 [still in France – a field hospital – diagnosed: “NYD ? TB”]

On 18th July 1918 diagnosed with “acute bronchitis”

He was then sent back to England – Posted to 6B Reserve Brigade Charlton Park SE London on 4th October 1918 and then transferred to High Wycombe
On 7th August 1918 he was issued with glasses at RACD Rippon, so he was there before High Wycombe and after Charlton Park.

He was a driver in the 11th Battery

There's probably more that can be pulled out - but it would take a lot more time and a bit of digging and cross-checking. As is usual with these "burnt documents" there are lots of entries that are very difficult to read.

Anyway - at least it's a start,

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 July 09 23:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks sooooooooo much, JDS, I appreciate it so much.

It's given me a massive spring board from which to go off an research myself.

Thanks again, you're too kind.

All the best,

Lee

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 11:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Lee

He was transferred to the Class Z Army Reserve on 14.2.1919. This meant he was discharged from the army, but was on standby to return if fighting started again page 120695 (and 6) on Ancestry.

This is from 1914-1918.net:

Class Z Reserve was authorised by an Army Order of 3 December 1918. There were fears that Germany would not accept the terms of any peace treaty, and therefore the British Government decided it would be wise to be able to quickly recall trained men in the eventuality of the resumption of hostilities. Soldiers who were being demobilised, particularly those who had agreed to serve "for the duration", were at first posted to Class Z. They returned to civilian life but with an obligation to return if called upon. The Z Reserve was abolished on 31 March 1920.

Page 120702 does not appear to apply to your man, you will be glad to know. According to FreeBMD Minnie Foster was marrying a man called Platt.

Ken

Offline glad2bgladys

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 July 09 16:54 BST (UK) »
Just to let you know that the 'Collingham' referred to in the transcription I think should read Callington, which is a small town approximately 9 miles north west of Plymouth. Hope that helps! :D
Gladman (Sussex, Kent)
Tutt (Kent, Sussex, Australia)
Hill (Kent)
Nicholson (Kent)