Author Topic: virgin beginners help please  (Read 7097 times)

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: virgin beginners help please
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 22:28 BST (UK) »
Little wren, I have a houseful of stuff I can't use because I haven't worked it out. I used to cope perfectly with the old-fashioned video recorders, simple brick mobile phones, and dial up internet, but I've morphed into this useless dinosaur!

I really don't know why I got the router - I think the young man on the phone persuaded me that the package with the router provided 'security'. I don't know whether this is true, but at the time I reckoned security was something I needed.

Jc26red thanks for the tips about virgin deleting messages. Maybe I should look at outlook. Thanks to you and groom for the reassurance that I can turn it all off when the rewiring is done - though sorting out all the cables is going to be a real nightmare.

Any other virgin broadband tips would be gratefully received!

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 22:37 BST (UK) »
Routers, if they have their security set, act as a firewall but you should still have firewall software installed on your pc.

Virgin have there own firewall software which is free.
http://www.virginmedia.com/myvirginmedia/pcguard/find-out-more/

A router is only useful if you have more than one pc/laptop you want to use the internet at the same time. A wireless laptop is useful if you don't want wires running around the house  :D But if you manage without then... no problem and one less thing to worry about!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Lydart

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 22:42 BST (UK) »
(This isnt really relavent ... but if you turn off all your electric when you go away, what happens to fridge & freezer ?)   

I've just discovered a load of electrical computer gubbins in the loft, with wires and little boxes with flashing lights ... no idea what it is, but daren't touch it ... I'll ask whizz kid (aged 11) who lives in the village ...
Dorset/Wilts/Hants: Trowbridge Williams Sturney/Sturmey Prince Foyle/Foil Hoare Vincent Fripp/Frypp Triggle/Trygel Adams Hibige/Hibditch Riggs White Angel Cake 
C'wall/Devon/France/CANADA (Barkerville, B.C.): Pomeroy/Pomerai/Pomroy
Som'set: Clark(e) Fry
Durham: Law(e)
London: Hanham Poplett
Lancs/Cheshire/CANADA (Kelowna, B.C. & Sask): Stubbs Walmesley

WRITE LETTERS FOR FUTURE GENERATIONS TO TREASURE ... EMAILS DISAPPEAR !

Census information Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 22:48 BST (UK) »
(This isnt really relavent ... but if you turn off all your electric when you go away, what happens to fridge & freezer ?)   

I've just discovered a load of electrical computer gubbins in the loft, with wires and little boxes with flashing lights ... no idea what it is, but daren't touch it ... I'll ask whizz kid (aged 11) who lives in the village ...

I dont turn off all the electricity - just pull the plug out for the computer, TV and that sort of thng. I've done that ever since a storm a few years ago affected the computer.

I bet the whizz kid will take one look and know exaxtly what it is.   ???

Jan
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 22:52 BST (UK) »

My OH was one of those, in the early days of wedded bliss, he turned the freezer off when we went on holiday!

not once but TWO years on the trot! 2nd time I was pregnant and couldn't cope with the smell... he had to clear up.  ;)  Funny thing, he never did it again after that  ;D ;D ;D
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 22:53 BST (UK) »
I have been with Virgin since 1987 first on dial-up then on broadband.
I have a home network of computer and switch everything off every night.
When I switch on in the morning the broadband is there as soon as my computers have booted up.

My main computer is on the same multiply socket as my router and broadband modem. When I switch the master socket on the modem & router are powered together and my computer a few seconds later as soon as I can hit the on button. I have never had any problems with this plus there is the added advantage of a clean fast connection every morning as the modem has been re-booted.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 23:06 BST (UK) »
Guy... you obviously have never had a problem with your internet connection!  Your comments are rather misleading, whilst power to the modem and router is there when you switch the master socket on, by the time you turn on your pc, the modem and router have already done their startup process - it doesn't take long.

If you ever phone the help line, that is the first thing they go through, switching everything on in the right order, it does matter, and can be a reason why connection fails!

ps... my connection is fast all the time, whether I reboot or not. You get what you pay for.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 23:43 BST (UK) »
My OH and I have both got Virgin, we do have a router - well my husband does, so he can use his PC and I can use my laptop at the same time, also I can connect to his PC via Network Places and look at or download photos from his PC.

Although we both turn off our computers at night, we never turn the electricity off at the socket, never have done ever since we first got a computer 20 years ago and never had any problems.  When I was at work there were always large notices on the electric sockets to remind the office cleaners that they musn't either unplug or turn off the computers.

We never unplug the TV or video recorder either, or the washer, dryer or dishwasher come to that, as without pulling them all out, we can't even get at the plugs.

Lizzie

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 July 09 07:30 BST (UK) »
Guy... you obviously have never had a problem with your internet connection!  Your comments are rather misleading, whilst power to the modem and router is there when you switch the master socket on, by the time you turn on your pc, the modem and router have already done their startup process - it doesn't take long.

Which is why I noted my start up procedure.
One of the reasons I do not have a problem is due to the modem being switched off at night. This clear the cache on the broadband modem.

If you ever phone the help line, that is the first thing they go through, switching everything on in the right order, it does matter, and can be a reason why connection fails!

ps... my connection is fast all the time, whether I reboot or not. You get what you pay for.

Depends what you call fast, I have had a number of people mention how fast my connection is. I do not notice the speed, I just expect sites to be there as soon as I click the link, but it seems others have to wait for sites to load.

Another reason for switching off is it saves power, yes many appliances are designed to cope with being on 24/7 but why waste energy needlessly, I always switch my TV off rather than put it on standby.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.