Author Topic: Brocks/Millers, Thurso and Wick - expert help wanted  (Read 3618 times)

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Brocks/Millers, Thurso and Wick - expert help wanted
« on: Wednesday 29 July 09 20:35 BST (UK) »
Previously I had identified a Donald Brock and Catherine Miller as the parents of William Brock, a road carter from Thurso, from his death certificate. William died in Thurso, aged 80 on May 13, 1884. I am trying to get a bit further back, which is proving difficult. However, as this branch of the Brocks are fairly unique in Thurso at that time, I just noticed that in the 1851 Census there is a Catherine Brock, aged "100", a widow, living with her step-son. (She is in the 1841 Census too, aged "75"). She was born in Wick. I am wondering if this could be Catherine Brock (nee Miller). I can't find a death for her in the OPRs between 1851 and 1855 and have even checked the deaths after 1855 on Scotlands People. I can't find a marriage/banns for her and Donald Brock (most probably they never married), nor can I find any record of Donald's death or burial. He must have died sometime between 1803 and 1841 approx.
In looking for a Donald, who could be Catherine's husband, I did find a birth/baptism for a Donald Sinclair Brock (parents Donald Brock and Elspeth Plowman) in Ackergill, near Wick, but am confused with the date. The entry after his December birth looks like January 1760, but the printed header at the top of the Scotland People file says 1767.
Expert help, advice needed!
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
Re: Brocks/Millers, Thurso and Wick - expert help wanted
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 30 July 09 19:23 BST (UK) »
igi has Donald Brock born Wick 30 April 1784 father John Brock mother Ann Farquhar also Donald Brock born 19 June 1786 Canisbay father Hugh Brock mother Christian Lowtat ( not sure what thats meant to be?) Do any of these ring a bell?
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 July 09 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the information. Donald Brock born 19 June 1786 Canisbay sounds a promising lead... especially if his parents were Hugh Brock and Christina Louttit as I have already come across their names.
When William Brock (road contractor) re-married it was to a Christina Ross. Her parents from her death  certificate were Malcolm Ross and Elizabeth Brock. This Elizabeth Brock's parents (from her death cert) were Hugh Brock and Christina Louttit. So Elizabeth and Donald would be brother and sister... and William and Christina Ross cousins...
It is very confusing and I am not sure how to confirm any of this.
Edwards, Grieve, Talbert in Angus and Kincardineshire; Allan, Dundas, Hacket, Milne, Reid in Aberdeen and Orkney; Brock in Thurso and Aberdeen; Rennie in Aberdeenshire to name but a few...

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 August 09 11:14 BST (UK) »
You might be able to find out more if you had access to memorial inscriptions for Caithness! there are a lot of Brocks in various cemeteries in Caithness, there is a site with a list if you dont already have it, also do you have the names of William,s children, if not I have found them on another site.

We have just found out we have a Brock in our Orcadian grandads ancestors from Stronsay.  

akc
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott

Offline ED2005

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 August 09 19:17 BST (UK) »
The children I have for William are James, Ann, Christian, Donald and William Manson (from the first marriage) and Elizabeth, Christina and Malcolm (from the 2nd marriage). If there are any more than this on the site you mentioned, I'd like to know of them! Also, did you say there is a site that has the Caithness Memorial Inscriptions transcribed on it?

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 August 09 22:17 BST (UK) »
Children for William on the site I mentioned are: James 1828, Ann 1830, Christina 1832, Donald 1834, John 1835 and William Marando 1837.
Second Marriage are Elizabeth 1851, Christina 1854, James G 1858 and Malcolm 1866.

The site I mentioned doesnt have the memorial inscriptions on it, it just tells you where they are buried. Type in: index to caithness memorial inscriptions and you should get it

akc