Author Topic: James Connolly  (Read 47113 times)

Offline srey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Connolly
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 20 July 10 00:52 BST (UK) »
Dear Concon,

Hi!  Sorry for the delay in getting back to you - I had a busy few days. 

Just to clear things up - Lillie had a sister Margaret  (born 1861, died in Scotland in 1900) and 2 brothers who were identical twins (born 1859).   They were called John and George and lived in Dublin.  George had 16 children -  one of them also George (jr) who was my grandfather.  That makes Lillie my great grand Aunt and us very very distant cousins!

I grew up in Kildare and was at the dedication of the statue in Beresford Place in the 1990s.  I met your grandfather's brother then - Ross - and also met him again recently as I dropped into Liberty Hall to say hello.  He actually gave me your grandfather's contact details and I meant to write but then felt a bit intrusive and didn't.  I was told though that he is the family historian and the best source of info?  I know he has 5 children - which one do you relate from?  I have also corresponded with JOhn Connolly (youngest son of Roddy) and James Connolly Heron.  I'll try and answer your questions and if you want any more info I'm happy to give you my contact details and maybe we can fill in some blanks for each other.
I have no information on Thomas except that he emigrated at a young age to USA or Canada possibly.  However, I recently came across another site by chance with people claiming to be related to James Connolly on it and all were US based - possibly Thomas descendants? I will email them and report back if anything comes of it.  MOira married a Richard Beech and settled in Harrow, N. London and worked as a doctor.  she died in the 1960s of throat cancer I think - I can check.  She had 4 children:  June, Ninel, deirdre and Dick.  Let me know exactly what info you'd like and I can send it to you.  John connolly only had 1 child I think - Mary who married ? Richards.  John lived from 1862 to 1916 and was in the army in the UK and had a military funeral.  He married Elizabeth Aicheson - I can check exactly what info I have aabout them - this is from memory at present!

Thanks fof your info - difficult finding recoresds in wicklow as a lot burnt in the 1922 fire.  I'm slowly looking through church of ireland parish records to see if I can find where Lillie was baptised and where her father died (died young - farm accdident).

Good luck with the family history and hope to correspond more with you!  I have tons of Reynolds info if you want to do that side of it as well!

S Rey. 

Offline ConCon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 27 July 10 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi S Rey,
Sorry it's taken me a week to get back to you, I've been finishing up work and it's been a hectic few days.
Anyway thanks again for your reply, you seem to be really interested and involved in the family history. Now you mention Moira's husband and children they ring a bell, I've never met them but my grandad speaks of them.
You should definitely write to my grandad, it's not intrusive at all and he'd really appreciate it. He loves talking about the family and has so many stories, he's definitely the go to man in relation to family history. He lived with Lillie for a while when he was growing up. My grandad actually has 6 children, 3 boys and 3 girls. I am one of Roddy's daughters. Do you have the names of his children? Which child are you missing? I see John Connolly and James Connolly Heron at 1916 services in Dublin during the year, I don't really have much else to do with them or their families which is a shame.
I'd love to find out more about the Reynolds side. You told me of John and George's families, what about Margaret? Did she marry and have children? I was always under the impression it was Lillie and Margaret who were twins, not their brothers, I shall pass this info on to my aunties and uncles.
I came across Ina's grandson and his father (who would be my grandfather's cousin). They live in America. I was meant to meet them last summer while there but never got around to it unfortunately. They're Connolly Herons. I can pass that info on to you if you're interested.
Your contact details would be great, we can correspond that way which may be easier and safer when mentioning names and locations of family memebers that are still living.
Hope to hear from you soon.

Offline srey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 July 10 23:36 BST (UK) »
Dear ConCon,

My mistake - I did have your grandfather as having 6 children - sorry!  To answer your question:  the information I have on Margaret Reynolds (Maggie) is sketchy - I believe she married a William Armstrong St. Clair Douglas (don't know when or where but I think in 1890s and probably Scotland), they were married and had no children in 1898 and living in Edinburgh, then there is a death cert for 1900 showing she died in childbirth - I think the 4th January - at home in Edinburgh.  It is unclear if a child survived or not.  William is on the census the following year in a boarding house if it is the correct William - no mention of a child either.  Margaret was buried in Edinburgh, I don't know what became of William - he was a tobacco pipe maker.  Her and Lillie's brothers:  John had no children.  George married 3 times and had 1 child from first marriage, 2 from the second and 13 from the third.  First 2 wives died sadly.  The third one outlived him.

My contact email is:  (*)  maybe if we exchange emails or phone numbers we could swop information?  I would be grateful for the info on the Herons and any thing else you're happy to tell me.  I could also post you the Reynolds stuff as there is a lot of it!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ConRey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 23:43 BST (UK) »
Hello ConCon and Srey

I am also related to the Reynolds family and ultimately to the James Connolly family even though that may be a distant link. My Dad's Mother (now deceased) was named Florence Reynolds and was one of two children born to George Reynolds and Alice Hannon. So Lilly Connolly nee Reynolds would be my Grandmother's aunt. My Dad's name was Noel Connaughton and his father was Joe Connaughton. I think I may have a lot of Reynolds info from Srey already which came to me through my aunt in Dublin, she's my Dad's sister. She did mention your name to me Srey but it was sheer chance that I happened to see this post as I was browsing Connolly and Reynolds. I am in the process also of making a family tree for the Connaughton/Reynolds side of my family. If I have any info that either of you don't have I'll gladly share that or confirm facts. I live in Yorkshire

Hope to hear from one or both of you
Thanks
ConRey

Offline srey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 September 10 00:52 BST (UK) »
Hello ConRey,

I would love to check facts / exchange info or photos.  I remember meeting your father at a family reunion years ago in Dublin (late 80s I think), and I met your Aunt Phyllis last year, and have spoken to your aunt Maureen also who has been very helpful.   My grandfather was George who was the second child of George and Margaret Nolan (third wife).  His son was also George who is my father and would be your father's first cousin.  Just a burning question, but do you know anything about an Edward Reynolds? (one of FLorence's brothers?) no-one seems to know anything about him.

I am in Faversham, Kent. My contact details are:  (*)
Best wishes, SRey.

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail and telephone number removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ConRey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 30 September 10 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Srey

Great to hear from you I'm just a novice on this bulletin board so I can't use PM until I have posted three times and your email address has been deleted out by the administrator for privacy reasons. I'll make one more post after this and hopefully we'll be able to exchange emails and phone numbers if you like.

I thought you might have met my Dad at some point, did he provide any of the info you have on the Reynolds...it seems very comprehensive. I was really pleased to get all of that as it helped to fill in many gaps in my knowledge. Re Edward I've only got the same info as you have which came to me through aunty Maureen but I will try and find out more if I can.
So glad I have a relative over here in the UK as the only other one is my Mum's sister who lives in Bicester. Do you have a facebook page? if so I can search for you and we can communicate that way more privately

Best Wishes
ConRey

Offline Lenohe

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 January 11 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm James Connolly's great great granddaughter... his daughter Aideen Connolly was my nan's mother. Aideen married a man by the name of either Hugh or Chris ward as far as i can remember i can get this detail off my nan.  So my nan was James Connolly's granddaughter. She actually has a book given to her by Nora Connolly O'Brien which was has a little note wrote on the inside to my nan who was named Nora after her and signed by her too. 

Offline srey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 09 March 11 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Dear Lenohe,

I would love to hear more about your branch of the family - no-one else seems to know much about Aideen Connolly or her descendants - could you post anything you can find out please? All I know is that Aideen married a Hugh Ward, not sure when, and had 3 children I think.  2 girls and a boy.  one ended up in Manchester, and the other daughter married in Ireland and stayed there? Would this be your nan? There was also a son - not sure what happened to him.  Where did Aideen live? Did she work? Where did she die? Aideen would have been my grandfather's cousin, so your nan would be my father's second cousin!  sorry for not replying sooner but I usually get an email when someone posts onto this site and I didn't seem to get one - so haven't checked it for ages!

Really hope to hear from you -this is exciting! My Auntie remembers visiting Nora with my grandmother once. 

S rey.

Offline ConCon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 11 April 11 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Lenohe, ConRey and SRey,

This is exciting! It's great when new info is discovered and the family tree grows.

I'm looking forward to finding out about Aideen and her family. As SRey said very little is known about her and her descendants.

My Grandfather would know a bit about the Reynolds as he lived with Lillie for a while when growing up. I'll pass all these names on to him when I see him and maybe he can provide more info.

If anyone wants any information about the Connollys, in particular Roderick Connolly's family I'd be happy to help.

Be in touch!
ConCon