Author Topic: James Connolly  (Read 47005 times)

Offline winterwonder

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Connolly
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 16:35 BST (UK) »
hi,
i am also a great grand daughter of james connolly, aideen was my nan, she was married to hugh ward and they had 3 daughters and 1 son. 1 daughter lived in dublin, 1 in kildare and 1 in birmingham uk  i dont know what happened to hugh the son but i know he was in england at 1 point whwn we were children. aideen lived with us for a while in birmingham  when she was poorly

Offline winterwonder

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 12 April 11 16:43 BST (UK) »
i would love to hear more about the connoly family, i don,t  seem to have that much any info would be great .winterwonder

Offline mkin

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 15 April 11 21:07 BST (UK) »
Dear Concon,
While researching my husband's family tree we came across an obituary of his cousin, James Cusack saying he was a first cousin of James Connolly. James Cusack was originally from Monaghan but lived most of his life in England. I see you mentioned that you had information on James Connolly 's parents and grandparents. I would be very grateful if you could post that information here as we would like to find out exactly what the connection is. Coincidentally and before we knew anything of this possible connection, a close family member was involved in the memorial to Connolly in Dublin.
Thanks,
Mkin

Offline srey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 21 April 11 22:54 BST (UK) »
Dear winter.wonder, Lenohe, mkin,

could you post as much info as you have on this branch of the family? The rest of us have little info on Aideen and her children.  I had no idea that there was a third daughter of Aideen and Hugh ward.  I thought there was only Zelda in the UK and Moira in Kildare.  I understood that Hugh junior went missing as a young man and no-one knew what had happened to him.  Is this correct?  Who did MOira, Zelda and other daughter marry? Where are Hugh sr and aideen buried? Where did they live?  Did Aideen die of old age or other causes?  I would love to know as she is still a big unknown.
Also, could anyone post or send a picture of her? ie email it to the site?
yours hopefully,
SRey.

Offline Caoimhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 12:09 BST (UK) »
Dear all,

I am an Irish historian based at the University of Cambridge. I am researching a book on the children of the executed men of the Easter Rising, and how their lives unfolded after the events of 1916. Other themes include to what extent their father's death affected them, how politically engaged they were, how they interacted with the Irish state and its commemorative activities, and their inter-familial relationships with their siblings and mother. Not all the 1916 executed men had families - only Clarke, Connolly, MacBride, Mallin, MacDonagh, Ceannt, but they left sixteen children behind them about whom very little is really known.

I would be really interested and excited to hear from any of you about any of James Connolly's children. Quite a lot is known about Nora and Roddy, but much less information is in the public domain about Ina, Moira and Fiona. Equally, if any of you had any suggestions as to further avenues of possible enquiry, I would be very grateful.

My email address is *

Many thanks,

Caoimhe Nic Dháibhéid

Dr Caoimhe Nic Dháibhéid
Rutherford Research Fellow
Fitzwilliam College
University of Cambridge

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility. See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline aliceaevdb

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 23:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Caoimhe,

I tried to post an email address up once before but it was removed to stop spam and unwanted emails. I *think* you can post it all in words - eg myname at 123 dot co dot uk (then add a note saying replace at and dot with normal symbols) as this stops the autospammers.*

Fascinating thread by the way - I'm not related in any way but it's lovely seeing people reunited with distant relatives! :)

*that format only acceptable for official emails
Dickeson, Bradley, Smith, Duffield, Banks: Wandsworth/Battersea/Lambeth/Clapham/St Andrews London.
Bottomley: Chelsea/Middlesex
Sharman: Suffolk, Norfolk
Wisker: Hampshire, London

Offline Caoimhe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 15 June 11 23:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks aliceavdb, that's helpful.

My email is (*). It's also available at (*) page - simply google "Caoimhe Nic Dhaibheid" and it should be there.

(*) Sorry, but e-mail addresses in any form are not allowed

Offline IanMBell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 17 August 11 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hello to All,

I only just stumbled upon this thread. My great-grandfather was John Connolly, older brother to James, brother to Thomas. My grandmother was Katie Connolly - as Nora would always insist - but Catherine Mackay to me, Edinburgh, and the world.

They would exchange visits when I was young. There is a photograph somewhere of the two cousins in Dublin for the anniversary in 1966, being talked at by de Valera. My granny looks shy; Nora looks - can't imagine why - ferocious. My parents and grandparents knew Roddy (the elder) a bit, back then. I sat at Nora's knee a few times, too, and couldn't get a word in.

Anyhow, this is just to say that I'd be fascinated if anyone, anywhere, can shed light on what became of Thomas. Nora once said she had letters from around the world, with all sorts of stories and claims, but was never convinced.

Regards,

Ian Bell

Offline michelle delaney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 23 August 11 15:42 BST (UK) »
hi i was reading this i have noticed you are talking about Aideen connolly!! my nannys name Nora * she is JAMES CONNOLLYS granddaughter she is still living in kildare and have 15 children her mother was Aideen Connolly does anyone have any family photos of aideen and her family 

Moderator Note : Details of living person removed