Author Topic: Stubbs in Mallow  (Read 31967 times)

Offline Brinkworth2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stubbs in Mallow
« Reply #45 on: Monday 27 May 19 09:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification Tom, I think this means that your grandfather Christopher was my mother's uncle.

Offline SussexTom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 27 May 19 10:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you, part of the 'mystery' is Samuel Stubbs was Church of Ireland and married in a civil ceremony, but his son William married in an RC one

Offline Roseb087

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 11 February 22 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi all, not sure if anyone is still following this thread, I only just came across it now. My mother is Catherine Stubbs the daughter of Michael & Mary Stubbs in mallow. Michael’s father would be Daniel Stubbs married to Kate (spring) my family still live in mallow and my mother has 3 brothers all alive & kicking!!

Offline Senahel

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 31 July 23 11:17 BST (UK) »
Roseb087
 this might be them from an old post of mine....

[/quote]
Hi Diana

I don't know if the current Stubbs are related to you.
But as there is only one Stubbs in mallow, they may be.
I went to the cemetery and took pics that I can mail to you.

1. St marys mallow
                 B.            D.            A
Kate.     1885.    26/6/1959.    74
Dan.      1877.    24/7/1964.    87
G/s Donal          17/10/1946.  11mts

There are 2 graves in st gobnaits mallow near each other.
1               B.          D.          A
Billy.    1922.  13/5/1974   52
Mary.   1918.  16/10/2007 89

Michael 1917  30/8/1985.   68
Mary.    1916. 15/10/1974. 58

Hope this is of some help to you.     

Offline Roseb087

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 31 July 23 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi, Mary & Michael are my grandparents , Kate & Daniel are great grandparents & Daniel would be my uncle. Daniel died in the Somme & buried in France . Not sure of billy & Mary I’ll ask my mom

Offline SussexTom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 31 July 23 11:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Senahel,

Thank you for the details.

I'm Tom, grandson of Christopher Stubbs, who was a brother to Daniel Stubbs.
Yes, the graves are part of the Mallow Stubbs family.

I think the Kate and Dan grave would be the Dan that Rosebud087 refers to, being great grandfather to Rosebud087, and the Michael and Mary grave would be Rosebud087's grandparents. I think Donal would have been uncle to Rosebud087.
The other grave, of Billy and Mary, would be the Billy Stubbs as in one the sons of my grandfather Christopher Stubbs, Billy was brother to my mother Mary Stubbs.

I've found quite a bit of information on the Stubbs family, but never been able to find the birth details of the father of Dan and Christopher, a William Stubbs.

Regards
Tom

Offline Roseb087

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Monday 31 July 23 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Sussex Tom just spoke to my mam Renee, sorry I was wrong on the Somme & Daniel that was her mothers side not Stubbs 🤦🏻‍♀️

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Monday 31 July 23 17:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Happily, I'm still following this thread!

Roseb087, just to let you know that I'm researching my husband's family. His great-grandmother was Annie Stubbs, Daniel's (wife Kate Spring) sister. Annie wasn't married to my husband's grandfather, William's father, but DNA proves I have the correct family. Also, I knew my husband's mother (Anne Kelly nee Stubbs) very well and she told me a lot about the family history.

So for Tom:- Annie 1883-1965 and her siblings, Daniel 1877-1964, Mary 1880-1901, Michael 1885-1912, William 1888-1892, Christopher 1890-1965 (your grandfather) and baby Charles 1892-1893 whose parents were William Stubbs 1851-1928 and Mary Beechinor 1854-1927.

I only know William was born in Cork from the 1901 and 1911 censuses, but I'm sure you know this already. William died in the North Cork County Home of Valvular Disease of the Heart and Bronchitis.  He was a widowed Labourer, late of Mallow and aged 68 years. This means he was born in about 1860. There are some discrepancies about his date of birth as in 1911 he says he is 60 years old but the same goes for his wife Mary who died in the same County Home of Rheumatic Arthritis and Endo-Carditis the previous year, the informant was their daughter Annie who was now married to Jeremiah McCarthy. Having said this as they were the only Stubbs family in Mallow I'm 99% certain of my facts.

Tom, I also think that you know that Mary Ann Clarke was married in a civil ceremony to Samuel Stubbs in Mallow on the 10th May 1849. Still, though I can't find an actual record of William's birth, lots of people have William as their son but no actual proof. I guess that if Samuel was a Soldier he could have, in reality, been born anywhere Samuel went with Mary Anne.

Good hunting
Diane
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline SussexTom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 31 July 23 18:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you Diane - yes, I'd agree with all of your comments.

Samuel Stubbs 1824-1904, father to William, was born in Mayo, as was his father Joseph Stubbs 1770-1855.

Samuel served in the 41st Regiment of Foot and after being stationed in Cork from about 1849 to 1851, the 41st went to Corfu, Greece. From there they went to Malta in February 1853 and then on to fight in the Crimean war.
Mary Anne Clarke died, don't know when or where, as Samuel remarried in 1870 in Dublin, to a Mary Anne Minorgan and after having some children in Dublin, they moved to Canada, where his brother and widowed father had settled. Samuel died in Herschel, Ontario on 13th December 1904. I have wondered if Mary Anne Clark travelled with Samuel to Corfu/Malta, but I've not found that out.

I did meet Annie, in Swindon, would have been in the early 1960s, in the 'corner shop'

All the best,
Tom