Author Topic: Stubbs in Mallow  (Read 31909 times)

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Stubbs in Mallow
« Reply #36 on: Monday 28 November 16 07:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,

Lovely to hear from you too and with so much information. We too will send you a pm with my email address.

Diane and Dave
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline merrymoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 12 June 18 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi John, we spoke some time ago regarding the Stubbs in Mallow family. Could you pm me your email address as I have a question, you did send it before but I've lost it.  :-[

Thanks

Diane
Rodd, Royffe, Guinn (Bethnal Green), Trevett, Trivet etc (Dorset), Moore (Devon & Dorset), Cox Lyme Regis & Bath), McGregor (Surrey & Kent), Brown & Wilkinson (Bethnal Green), Wilkinson, Hazell, Hazel,Poole & Poole (Bucks)
Royffe, Ducro (London, prob Huguenot)
Scotland: Mackrell (Dumbarton)
Wales: Thomas, Jones (Glamorgan)
Ireland: Kelly (Dublin City), Stubbs (Dublin and Mallow, Cork), Woods (Dublin City) Mackrell (Limerick) Moram (Dublin) Toole (Dublin)

Offline Brinkworth2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 16 August 18 11:58 BST (UK) »
Hello all – an ‘even later joiner to the party’  but I believe that Annie Stubbs was my maternal grandmother and have a vague memory of seeing her shortly before she died in Swindon in 1965.  Also, I’m almost 100 % certain that John Stubbs’ father,  ‘Uncle Bobby’ as we knew him, was best man at my parents wedding in 1953 as he was my mother Kathleen’s cousin.

Would also like to hear from any of my relatives.  Only sorry that I didn’t discover this website sooner!

Offline SussexTom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 24 May 19 17:03 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I was on this thread about 10 years ago, Epsom Tom, but back with a new login now. I've think I've found a few things about William and Mary Stubbs of Ball Alley Lane. I'd heard from cousins that William (my great grandfather) was from England, but that doesn't seem to be the case. His father was Samuel Stubbs, who married Mary Anne Clarke in Mallow on 10th April 1849 in a civil ceremony. Samuel's father was a Joseph Stubbs and Mary Anne's a Thomas Clarke. Samuel, in 1849, was a Private in the 41st Regiment. William married Mary Beechinor in a Catholic service in Mallow on 10th February 1880. Samuel came from a small place called Parke, Turlough near Castlebar in Mayo. He had quite a military career, including serving in the Crimean war. His first wife died and he remarried to a Mary Ann Minorgan, in Dublin, on 9th June 1870 and with his new family emigrated to Ontario in Canada. I've not been able to find the birth or baptism of William Stubbs, but the census of 1901 and 1911 puts his place of birth as Co Cork. I'm Tom Hurst, son of Mary Hurst, who was Mary Stubbs, born in Mallow in 1915 to Christy Stubbs, one of the sons of William and Mary.
I'm still trying to dig out information and look forward to hearing from any cousins with information or questions - all the best, Tom

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 24 May 19 18:41 BST (UK) »
civil reg Birth, Marriage and Death results for stubbs of Mallow

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp

this search will find them

Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Brinkworth2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 25 May 19 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom, was so pleased to see your recent post, I really thought that this had gone cold! Not sure where I fit in with William and Mary, but looking at one of your earlier posts I can confirm that Annie Stubbs did live in Swindon with her daughter, my auntie, Ann from the late 50s until she died in 1965. The shop in Swindon you went to in 1960 would have been the Hayden Street Stores which Ann managed. The hotel in Gloucester was actually the George Hotel in Nailsworth, Glos which Ann and her husband Pat ran from 1967 until they both retired in 1980.  I suppose William would have been my uncle although his father was not my grandfather, if that makes sense.  I never got to meet him, but my auntie Eileen, Annie’s youngest daughter, did keep in touch with him and did visit him and his wife occasionally when they were living in London.

Offline SussexTom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Monday 27 May 19 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Hallmark, thank you for the link, but it does not have the William Stubbs birth details that I'm looking for, he would have been born in 1850-1860.
I'm not sure of our connection Brinkworth2, but Annie Stubbs (Annie McCarthy) was the sister of my grandfather Christopher Stubbs, both born in Mallow, Cork, if that helps

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 27 May 19 09:30 BST (UK) »
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0078  Mallow   IF they were R.C.