Author Topic: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 7 Episode #3: Kate Humble  (Read 16743 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BBC TV "WDYTYA?" Series 7 Episode #3: Kate Humble
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 22:31 BST (UK) »
I very much enjoyed learning a bit more about the Hartley Colliery disaster, I too lost distant relatives in that  disaster, Josiah and Robert Johnson and their names showed up on the TV whilst viewing the monument. I was quite chuffed as I have never been to see the monument, I feel now that I must go! Mixed feelings about it though...... what a way to go, I have read about the disaster before and it is awful.

Philip
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline lesleyhannah

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 22:34 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether there were any interesting women in her family tree! I kept wondering how they coped.

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 22:41 BST (UK) »
Saw Midsomer murders, so i player awaits
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past is a foreign country, how can we go there
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 22:49 BST (UK) »
Yes, I can understand why the programme makers had to check again with her that she REALLY didn't know anything, they couldn't believe it either!

Is that true? Makes some sense then as it wasn't just me who found it incredulous!

Offline Topham26

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 23:25 BST (UK) »
yes, my hubby didn't like the tears either, but we both thought it incredible that Kate was blessed with such interesting ancestors of whom she and her family knew nothing about.    :o

We are blessed with Agricultural Labourers, Straw Platters, Mariners and even a Cordwainer, when we can find them all!!  ???

Still we both enjoyed the programme.

Ann and OH

Yorkshire: Topham, Sneaton
Newcastle-Upon-Tyne: Robson, Green
Kingston-on-Hull: Turpin
Suffolk: Sargeant (or Variants)
Shropshire, Wigan, Middlesbrough: Stevenson (or Variants)

Offline nameless

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 23:32 BST (UK) »

Quote.  We are blessed with Agricultural Labourers, Straw Platters, Mariners and even a Cordwainer, when we can find them all!!  ???

Still we both enjoyed the programme. End Quote

I enjoyed the show and also cried.  So sad to hear of the disaster.

I also have Ag Labs, Mariner etc that arrive from nowhere and go back there.

Offline pinkthistle1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 29 July 09 23:46 BST (UK) »
I got more interested as it went on...but what caught my attention was the 'Liberation Log' of the POW's...Has anyone heard of this? Its never been mentioned in any of my searches for my grampas POW records and when I got his records from the Red Cross in Geneva it was not mentioned.

Was it only for certain camps or returning regiments?
Areas: Moneymore, Magherafelt, Donegal, to Glasgow
Names: Moran, Gallagher, Mcgettigan

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 30 July 09 08:29 BST (UK) »
Program has actually helped me in a small way

One of my ancestors was a coal hewer or so I thought

George Jackson was also described at on time as a Colliery Steward - I struggle with these mining jobs so not sure what a Steward is.

So on an Impulse I checked George on 1861 Census, he had just moved from Cheshire and the family had not yet moved

And surprise surprise he was a viewer too!

I enjoyed the show, her enthusiasm is genuine. We heard of Michael Parkinson's tree being too boring to make a story, I expect most people are in between. Wonder if they investigated many more that were not worthy of filming

Bob

Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline Ebor337

• RootsChat Senior
  • The past is a foreign country, how can we go there
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 30 July 09 08:42 BST (UK) »
Not sure why some people don't like the tears  :'(.

I'm sure we'd all react differently is presented with the same set of circumstances, some of us would cry, some would keep a stiff upper lip and some people may even smile or laugh. Does it really matter?

As strange as it is to us with a passion for geneaology, Humble obvioulsy knew nothing about her family so everything that was presented to her was probably a big shock.

Looking forward to Martin Freeman and David Mitchell's though, i thinnk Freeman's rle in The Office was amazing and Mitchell is a genuinely funny and intelligent fella. I'm sure Kim Catrall's will be interesting too. Can't wait.