Author Topic: BOWDON IN CHESHIRE  (Read 17754 times)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BOWDON IN CHESHIRE
« Reply #18 on: Friday 31 July 09 17:37 BST (UK) »
There appear to be two Spring Banks in Bowden having a name and the census details helps to determine which one.  :)
RG10; Piece: 3684; Folio: 6; Page: 3;

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline adj05

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 31 July 09 17:45 BST (UK) »
Might you be able to help me now you have that information?
Adam

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 31 July 09 17:47 BST (UK) »
There is an oddity here in that Springbank does appear on the citation provided ny Stan AND also that provided by Adj05.
It would appear that the 'big house' occupants are what Stan has found and the rest of us found the Olliers - with other families as well - in District 12. (I've not checked yet in what District Mr. Forster, the sugar refiner, was found.)   Wit the new layout on Ancestry I've not yet found my way to looking at the District descriptions.  Maybe one enumerator had the larger properties.

The start of the thread referred to the name Ollier and that was found.  What made you pick up on the other one, Stan?

Regards
Reiver

Offline adj05

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 31 July 09 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hi all

I've now downloaded a copy of the original image of the 1871 census.

When it says 'No. of schedule' does that mean the house number?

In the next column along it asks for 'road, street and No. or name of house'. In this column it simply says 'Spring Bank' for the Ollier family.

The entry on the same page before the Olliers also gives the address as Sping Bank.

I thought I was doing so well with tracing my family tree but It seems so hard to do!

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 31 July 09 18:28 BST (UK) »
It would appear that there are two - one might say several Spring Banks in Bowdon.

Joseph B Forster - he who Stan found - is living at the 'big house' on Ashley Road - the place that we have been writing about.

George Ollier - and several other families - (about 9 in all) are at 'Spring Bank' in that part of Bowdon on Langham Road.  The Enumerator's schedule for District 12 - where George is living - includes the words " All that part of Bowdon      Bowdon Vale ...Street Heaf, Bow Green, Vicarage lane .  .  .  .
If one picks up on the Enumerators route before the 9(?) Spring Banks he calls at South Downs Cottage and Black Fiels Lane (?).  Afterwards at Yew Bank and Bowdon Hall.  Yew Bank is named on www.oldmaps.co.uk.  Bowdon Hall is on Langham Road not too far from the junction with Langham Road.

As they say I hope this helps.  Afterwards I might go out and see if I can find it.

Regards
Reiver

Offline adj05

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 31 July 09 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Reiver
Im ever so confused about your last message. Couyld you possibly explain a little more?
Are they in totally different areas?
Adam

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 31 July 09 20:33 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry Adam.

Going back to your first message you had found your George Ollier at Spring Bank, Bowdon.   If you can look at the census image again, you will note on George Ollier's page - and the next = several households with that same address.

When you asked the question where was Spring Bank in Bowdon we all knew where it was in our different ways.  Someone produced a couple of maps of it even.  On the face of it, that was it.

Stan then found Joseph B Forster, a sugar refiner, at Spring Bank, Bowdon.  It was apparent from the citation that he gave that it was not the same Spring Bank where your George Ollier lived.  Looking  at  the reference which Stan gave, there was only the one address Spring Bank.  You will have seen from the map two or three postings ago that Spring Bank is a large property in large grounds, the sort of property one would expect a Sugar Refiner to live in with his family.

Your George Ollier lived about a mile down the road at a group of addresses under the title Spring Bank.  I went out before to see whether I could spot anything but wasn't successful.  I was given one or two clues and I am hoping I will be able to locate your Spring Bank in about a week.   I'll let you know.

Are you at all familiar with the Bowdon / Altrincham area?

Regards
Reiver

Offline adj05

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 31 July 09 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Reiver

My parents have just moved to West Timperley so I am staying with them for the summer. I dont know Altrincham/ Bowdon at all really so its hard to try and picture things and places.

How have you have worked out that George Ollier lived about a mile down the road at a group of addresses under the title of Spring Bank?

I am ever so new at this and i am very much the novice.

I must say, I am extrememly grateful for all your help.

Adam

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 31 July 09 22:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Adam
Its a bit complex.  I use Ancestry. - You may have used a different program to look at the 1871 Census.  Towards the top of the census image you should find a District number possibly put there by the program.  Your Spring Bank was in District 12.
A District was allocated to an Enumerator and a schedule of the properties he was to enumerate was written down and given to him. This document can be accessed on-line.  It was this document that referred to the District comprising Vicarage Lane, Bowdon Hall and others  which I referred to previously.  I recognised where most of those places were and hence was able to say they are about a mile 'down the road.

Regards
Reiver