Author Topic: Causeway Meadow - Dodderhill  (Read 9415 times)

Offline mrstucci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: CAUSEWAY MEADOW - DODDERHILL
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally- second attempt at replying to this forum! Thought I clicked on Post but it disappeared- those computer fairies are tricky sometimes! Anyway, I wanted to thank you so much for posting the picture of Causeway Meadows!! I have some older pictures of it and the quality isn't all that great so I really appreciate the one you put here. My Nash family lived there for many years and my intention is to post in this forum the info I have about the home....just need to find the time.....But thanks again so very much for posting the picture! Judy

Offline stretchie

• RootsChat Member
  • FARMER'S - Birth of the Chemical Industry, Widnes
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Sally & Judy,

Pictures are fantastic, thankyou.

Keep up the good work with Parishmouse Sally. 

Judy, would love to see your older photo's any chance???

Stretchie.
Farmer - Widnes, Runcorn.<br />Temperley - Runcorn, Frodsham.<br />Bell - Kingsley, Frodsham.<br />Bamber - Wigan, Widnes.<br />Stretch - Cheshire.<br />Vickers - Chester.<br />Hogg - Berwick, Chester.<br />Anyone with any interest in my names, please get in touch.

Offline mrstucci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 22:16 BST (UK) »
Sure- I will put that on my to-do list!  Judy

Offline mrstucci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 20:16 BST (UK) »
Here is one picture that I have of Causeway Meadows. All I have is a photocopy that I got from my aunt so the quality isn't all that good. Not sure what is the front and what is the back of the house. According to my aunt, the top picture is the front per her husband but she didn't think so..... I have one other picture to send but I will do that in a separate email. Judy

Offline mrstucci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 20:27 BST (UK) »
I'm not sure where I got this photo from but again it's a photocopy. I realized after posting the other picture that it was too large! I am so sorry! I was a bit too anxious to get it posted....... Judy

Offline mrstucci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 21:14 BST (UK) »
Here is the informaton I have on Causeway Meadows. I hope it makes some sense:

This is what I know of Causeway Meadows Farm, the ancestral home of my Nash Family. Some of the information was handed down to me from my Aunt Betsie. She obtained the information from a cousin, Humphrey Nash, who has done a lot of the Nash family history. Then I happened to meet online a woman who was part of a historical group putting together a history of Dodderhill which is where Causeway Meadows is located and she did some digging around for me also.

Of interest to me was clarification of the 3000 year leasehold that the Nash family had for Causeway Meadows. Here is what I found out- ‘At the Record Office she (note: ‘she’ is Cheryl, the historian for Dodderhill) found it was an indenture of lease dated 10th December 1563 between Thomas Carewe and William Hill and there was a yearly rent payable of one penny on the feast of St. Michael (if demanded).  Thomas Carewe and Richard Sparry (the local land agent) ‘demised granted and farm let to William Hill the messuage or tenement outbuildings farm lands and hereditaments referred to or known as Corsey Meadow.’

Cheryl: what this really means is: Thomas Carewe was the Lord of the Manor and in the 1560’s he ‘sold off’ all his lands and also the Lordship of the Manor of Wychbold.  Because of the way land was then ‘held’ Thomas Carewe would have held it of a larger magnate than himself, either a much larger land holder, Duke or Earl, etc. who would in turn have held the land from the King/Queen.  In order to pass on ‘ownership’ of the land it was done via a very long lease i.e. 1500 years or even 3000 years and then each subsequent ‘owner’ held the land for the residue of years left on that lease.  However, the Property Acts of 1881 and 1882 did away with the necessity for these long leases and as the ‘one penny’ yearly rent had never been demanded, the land could be held ‘freehold’or in legal terms in ‘fee simple’.  Samuel Nash would have held Causeway Meadows under the term of the original 1563 lease, but in effect it was his to do with what he wished.

Now, the William Hill mentioned in the above information I believe was the father of Elinor Hill who married my 7g grandfather, John Nash, in Hanbury in 1674. So that is how it came into the Nash family I believe. Not proven though.

From Cheryl: Apparently during the 1770’s the house was owned by the Wilson family. Cheryl says that Causeway Meadows was like a hamlet, made up of various properties which the farm and the terraced cottages formed only a part, the rest of the area being made up of several pairs of cottages as well cottages. The only buildings left now are the farmhouse, in a reduced size, an old barn which has been converted into a dwelling, a pub called “The Bowling Green’ and about 8 semi-detached houses built in the 1950’s.  The Causeway Meadows farm house is set quite a long way back from the road. In front of it and to one side of it were some cottages. Apparently there were 20 or so cottages built for the salt-workers at Stoke Prior. They were in two terraces of 10 or 12 facing each other onto a courtyard which had at its centre a well where the washing and ablutions were done for all residents.  From what I (Cheryl) can gather these cottages could only be described as slums.  Because the houses were a severe health hazzard they were demolished in the early 1950’s and the residents moved to the newly built houses in the main body of the village of Wychbold.

So when Samuel Nash lost a bunch of money from a failed salt brine business, he and his wife, Ann Preston Nash, moved out of Causeway Meadows to Haselor House where Samuel died in 1850. He sold Causeway Meadows to his brother Thomas who died in 1876. I don’t know if another Nash ancestor got the house or not as I don’t have a wife for Thomas.

I am pretty sure I have some more pictures of Causeway Meadows but can’t put my finger on them just yet….. Hope this is of some interest to whomever happens upon this forum! Any questions, contact me and I will try to answer them. Judy

Offline stretchie

• RootsChat Member
  • FARMER'S - Birth of the Chemical Industry, Widnes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 04 August 05 22:10 BST (UK) »
Thats great Judy.

Ive rechecked the birth cert detail and it says 14th Oct 1841 Dodderhill as the 'when and where born' and residence of informer is Thomas Bunn, Father, Causeway Meadow.  A Labourer.

Looks like the Mother went into Dodderhill Village to give birth while Dad stayed at the family cottage on the Causeway Meadow Estate.

This is really fasinating, thankyou again for your help.

Id really like to know more about Dodderhill around 1831 - 1851.  For some reason my family left the area and came to Widnes, Woodend by 1852.  Funnily enough the same time as Gossage, to work in his Soap Factory.

What happened?

Stretchie
Farmer - Widnes, Runcorn.<br />Temperley - Runcorn, Frodsham.<br />Bell - Kingsley, Frodsham.<br />Bamber - Wigan, Widnes.<br />Stretch - Cheshire.<br />Vickers - Chester.<br />Hogg - Berwick, Chester.<br />Anyone with any interest in my names, please get in touch.

Offline mrstucci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 04 August 05 23:09 BST (UK) »
Well, I don't know why exactly your ancestor left but maybe when my Samuel Nash left Causeway Meadows in 1845 because of money problems, maybe his brother couldn't afford to keep the laborours for an indefinite period of time. Judy

Offline sackville

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Causeway Meadow - Dodderhill
« Reply #17 on: Monday 30 April 18 16:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,  I've only just seen these posts.  One of my husband's ancestors was Joseph Nash of Causeway Meadow!  He married Sarah in 1786.  I don't have a surname for Sarah, or place of the marriage. I've only just found some documents my husband's grandmother wrote about her family history in 1965. Joseph and Sarah had a son Joseph born in 1788, who married Anne Bradley in 1815.  Anne was born in Waterford, Ireland.  I think Joseph and Sarah must have been living in Ireland, as there first child, Elizabeth, was born there in 1818.  I have a photo of Elizabeth, but not her parents.  Elizabeth married George Newsom in Newry, Armagh, in 1837.  George was born in Ballynattin in 1808. Any information you may have on Joseph Nash of Causeway Meadow would be much appreciated.