Author Topic: Causeway Meadow - Dodderhill  (Read 9410 times)

Offline stretchie

• RootsChat Member
  • FARMER'S - Birth of the Chemical Industry, Widnes
    • View Profile
Causeway Meadow - Dodderhill
« on: Monday 28 February 05 23:30 GMT (UK) »
What does this mean?

Its listed as the residence on a 1841 birth certificate.

Is Causeway Meadow a village or just a causeway boundary between two parishes?
Farmer - Widnes, Runcorn.<br />Temperley - Runcorn, Frodsham.<br />Bell - Kingsley, Frodsham.<br />Bamber - Wigan, Widnes.<br />Stretch - Cheshire.<br />Vickers - Chester.<br />Hogg - Berwick, Chester.<br />Anyone with any interest in my names, please get in touch.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: CAUSEWAY MEADOW - DODDERHILL
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 01 March 05 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Hija! First I Googled it and found the following http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/ENG-WORCESTER/2001-07/0994703543
Don't know if that was an answer to you or if someone else is looking for the place...
Then I managed to find Causeway Meadows Farm on http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Grid Ref: 393744,265500   

So I guess that is the place you want. I've seen farms given on birth certs without actually saying "farm" and very confusing it is too! If, as the other link suggests, it was not on the 1895 map then I suppose it fell into disrepair in the years between.
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline slloyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 June 05 00:02 BST (UK) »
Thought you would like to know that Causeway Meadow Farm still exists today or certainly did when I passed it the other day when I was down that way taking photos for the website.

All the best
Sally
www.parishmouse.co.uk
Photographs of Worcestershire Churches and Graves.

Offline stretchie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 June 05 00:09 BST (UK) »

Planning first trip down at the end of September.

Is it an old farm? 

worth a visit?

Stretchie
Farmer - Widnes, Runcorn.<br />Temperley - Runcorn, Frodsham.<br />Bell - Kingsley, Frodsham.<br />Bamber - Wigan, Widnes.<br />Stretch - Cheshire.<br />Vickers - Chester.<br />Hogg - Berwick, Chester.<br />Anyone with any interest in my names, please get in touch.

Offline slloyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 June 05 01:18 BST (UK) »
Hi, it is an old farm. I just remember seeing the name on the farm gate and saying to my Mum who was with me that one of my pals from school used to live there I thought.  Anyway will probably be down that way before September so will take a look for you and see what you can see from the road etc. and if I can remember I take a photo for you and then you can see whether it is worth visiting.  Mind you if you don't know the area you could get seriously lost round those lanes as road signs are not a priority! I don't think much has changed since the 19th century including the horse muck on the road  :)

Byetheway, I noticed in another of your posts that you are researching the name Farmer in the area of Dodderhill. I have recently photographed Dodderhill Church and a lot of the graves (still got a few more to do) and I think I can remember the name Farmer on a few ... might be wrong though as you go a little cross-eyed after a while.

All the best
Sally

Offline mrstucci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 15 July 05 00:20 BST (UK) »
I just had to reply to this as my Nash family lived at Causeway Meadows for many years!!! I have pictures of Causeway Meadows also. I live in the US but my Nash roots are in Dodderhill, Causeway Meadows! Judy

Offline stretchie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 July 05 18:32 BST (UK) »
"PICTURES, GIVE ME PICTURES........"
Thanks everyone for their interest.

Cant wait until Sept !!!!!

Stretchie.

Offline stretchie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 July 05 18:51 BST (UK) »
Sally,

I have a query you might be able to help me with;

St Martins in Birmingham; has it a grave yard?  I think my George Farmer is buried there in 1833.  Is there anyway of finding out?
I need confirmation that this is my George Farmer, husband to Mary and Father to John.

Can you help me on this?

Stretchie.

Offline slloyd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Stretchie

Where's my post has gone about B'ham ...   I replied to your request the other day but it has vanished!! Anyway the long and the sort of it was that I don't know anything much about St Martins ... the last time I remember noticing the church was at the same time as watching the steam trains coming into Moor St station ... Must have been one of the last ones ... honest ... now I am showing my age 

Now to the most important bit of news ... Causeway Meadows Farm ... I took the dogs for a walk by the canal today and took a detour home and grabbed some photos of the farm as promised. I have put them up on parishmouse for you. They are the original size photos so will take a while to load on the big pics as they are up to 4mb in size ... but I thought you may like the originals for your files.  Let me know if you want them smaller ... it is no problem.  The link to the photos is on the main page under "Other Links" and is called Special Requests Gallery. As a taster here (I hope!) is a sample:

BFN
Sally
www.parishmouse.co.uk