Author Topic: Lloyd London Mystery  (Read 79298 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyd London Mystery
« Reply #216 on: Sunday 12 December 10 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat from me too Janchat  :)

The entry for this child has father as Lyon Lloyd:

HANNAH SOPHIA LLOYD Birth: 15 AUG 1801/ Christening: 29 JUL 1822  St Mary Whitechapel, Stepney, London,    
Parents: LYON LLOYD and SOPHIA

But birth would be before Joseph and Sophia (Lyne) married in 1815.

Is there another entry?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Janchat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: Monday 13 December 10 05:31 GMT (UK) »
My William Fairclough Lloyd was in a Merchant business with Daniel Lewingdon Lloyd in Wollongong NSW from 1858 to 1861. I know Daniel was not a brother of William so I assume he is a cousin. Daniels death notice in the Sydney Morning Herald Thu 28 May 1896 reads: LLOYD, May 21st 1896 at his residence 40 Redfern Street Redfern, Daniel Lewingdon Lloyd, son (and only survivor of the late Daniel Lloyd of Elm Villa, Upton-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England, in his 69th year. Home papers please copy.

Does this help with your Daniel Lloyd? He could be the brother of my Joseph Lyne Lloyd. My Joseph was a Corn Factor in England in a company called Lloyd Fawell. Of information given to me by other family members he was also a Captain in the Royal Artillery 1813 - 1834, it also says that he was descended from an ancient family in Hereford Wales.

Offline Janchat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: Monday 13 December 10 06:11 GMT (UK) »
I have a birthdate for Joseph Lyon Lloyd if that helps, b. 18 May 1777. After exhaustive searching I cannot find a death registered for Joseph in Australia. I know he was alive in 1838 but was not alive by  January 1841 according to his daughter Eleanor Sophias Death notice.

Benjamin Smith Lloyd owned the company B S Lloyd & Co in London. The Lloyds were importing and exporting goods between Australia & England. Benjamin was the British part of this set up.  He resided at "Sydney House" Belmont Park, Lee, London.

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: Monday 13 December 10 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi again, Janchat
thanks for your info, now to work out any conections !! please do add anything else you know as it seems like there are so many bits that are so close , but we just need that key !!!
I was looking at Benjamin Smith Lloyd's family last night, how terrible that he lost 3 young children within 2 weeks,
but another connection as they were all buried at Norwood cemetery,
hopefully MonicaLes will be alone soon, she's so much better than me at sorting this stuff out !! :D
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: Monday 13 December 10 12:45 GMT (UK) »
I was just looking too, also feel we are getting close, but now to try and unravel!

Daniel Lewingdon Lloyd married in 1852 in Islington to Harriet Tomlin, father Daniel, a gent.  I can see here an entry for a 23 yr old Daniel Lewingdon Lloyd on the 1851 census. His birth place on the index shows as Upton Upon Severn, Worcestershire, occupation a shop man which fits well with the marriage entry where he is down as a draper. A B S LLoyd shows a witness to the marriage, likely Benjamin Smith Lloyd, son of Joseph and Sophia?

That link again on potential extended Lloyd line to Worcestershire.....

Monica

Added: Meant to add, can't see that 1851 entry on our friendly transcripts just on https://beta.familysearch.org/

Offline Janchat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: Monday 13 December 10 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Bingo, 4 births registered in NSW to Daniel L & Harriet Lloyd, Edgar S 1865, Harriet L 1857, Alfred M 1867 and Agnes R 1861.

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: Monday 13 December 10 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I'm still going through the business side of things,
BS.Lloyd and co, business agency,
2 addresses
78 Queen Victoria street, London
40 King street, Cheapside London,
Francis Graham Lloyd (bsl's son) part of it as well as being director of  Klondike Eldorado ltd and Mount Read Mining company ltd
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: Monday 13 December 10 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Arthur Lewington Lloyd  born 9th aug looks like 1853. baptised sept 5th 1855
daniel lewington lloyd and harriet , occ, fancy ???

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: Monday 13 December 10 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if we try and find out as much as possible about Daniel Lloyd Snr. whether we can connect the dots back to Benjamin and Joseph....he is certainly old enough to potentially be a brother to both. It is the parents to Benjamin and Joseph where we have the big wall at the moment.

Just posting these now or I will lose them again  :P From 19th C Newspapers: Berrow's Worcester Journal:

Death: In the 9th year of his age, George Lewingdon Lloyd, eldest son of Mr Daniel Lloyd of Walton Cardiff near Tweskesbury.

Death: Feb 25, 1857 at Brighton, Eliza Sparry youngest daughter of the late Daniel Lloyd, Elm Villa, near Upton upon Severn.

From Google Books, there is a marriage notice in 1812:

Married at Worcester, Mr Daniel Lloyd, of Hanley Castle, to Miss Sparry, daughter of the late Mr T S of Walton Cardiff, near Tweskebury.

Just wondered whether there might be a Sparry connection given the name of daughter in the death notice (Eliza Sparry Lloyd).

Monica