Author Topic: Lloyd London Mystery  (Read 78855 times)

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyd London Mystery
« Reply #234 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 09:47 GMT (UK) »
Have found another newspaper entry, for JBL
The Morning Post (London, England), Saturday, May 03, 1856; pg. 6; Issue 25689.
and this is the threatening  letter that got JBL sent back to prison;

to, Joshua Evans, Esq, Commissioner of Bankruptcy, Basinghall st, city.
Sir,
I have struggled hard to get into employment of the humblest description, and honestly support my family, since my release from Holloway, but, alas ! in vain,
I can no longer witness the distress of the mother and my children, which I am totally unable to alleviate.
Our destitution is so intense, and the agony of my mind is so great that madness must ensue, and then I may commit some rash act towards you, myself or society,
which I am quite incapable of while reason holds her sway; therefore, for your own safety, have me again locked up.
I will not again seek release, but in the grave, whither mental anguish is fast carring me.
If you do not attend to this, sir, worse will assuredly come, and on your head, after this warning, be the evil.
You cannot desire another public harrowing scene in your court, neither do I, but await my arrest as a mercy and a kindness,
I remain, sir, your obedient and unhappy godson,
J.B.Lloyd
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline Janchat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, that seems abit intense. Most of the Lloyds were quite affluent. They fell on hard times but always seemed to bounce back. Surely they would also help each other out when they fell on hard times. John Ballard signs this letter, 'your obedient and unhappy godson'. Does this mean that Joshua Evans was his god father? What happened to John Ballard's family after he went back to jail?

regards
Jan

Offline Janchat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 11:16 GMT (UK) »
I have another piece of family information, not substantiated though. In 1856 William Fairclough LLOYD returned to England for business purposes, while there he met up with 3 other brothers and at the family home in Norwood Surrey they were each presented with a number of old family relics presented by their uncle the Rev W F LLOYD. William Fairclough received a very large leather bound bible dated 1679 which was handed down from generation to generation and used in family worship in the LLOYDS household in the family home in Hereford Wales. (I haven't seen it) WF also spent some time with his Uncle "the Rev Henry Welsford" of Tewkesbury Cathedral who occupied the pulpit of this church for 50 years. (I must say that on WF's return to Australia his next son was named Henry Welsford) These are the words of my Great grandmother who was infirm for many years before her death, she left many handwritten notes of her memoirs.

Many of our early newspapers in Australia have now been digitised and are available online at this link http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper  do you have something similar in Britain, regards Jan

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Wednesday 15 December 10 13:40 GMT (UK) »
who was your great gran ?
what happened to the bible ?
Rev Henry Welsford was William fairclough lloyd's brother's father in law( joseph lewingdons wife, mercy welsford's dad)
I wonder who the Rev WF.Lloyd is, need to investigate that.

As for newspapers online, we have Gales 19th Century
British Library Newspapers but you need either a subscription or to join a library that has .,
theres the london gazette, http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/ there are others too but can't think of anymore at the minute.

Yes Joshua Evans was JBL's godfather, most of his family seemed to have survived , have a read through all of this thread, its all in there ;)
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline Janchat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Thursday 16 December 10 08:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all that information I was wondering what happened to Joseph lewingdon, He must have also returned to England. I was wondering how Henry Welsford fitted into the picture.

My Great grandmother was Sarah Threkeld Lloyd, daughter of William Fairclough and Caroline Flegg. The bible was probably handed down to the eldest son, who would be Charles Henry Lloyd, but I haven't been able to locate him at all. He was born in Hobart Tasmania in 1847, he was still living in 1897 when William Fairclough died as he was named on the death certificate but not in any of the newspaper notices, I therefore think that he was not living in NSW or maybe even Australia.

Many thanks for all you information.

regards
Jan

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Thursday 16 December 10 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Janchat, I have sent you a private message  :)

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Wednesday 22 December 10 22:14 GMT (UK) »
happy Birthday JBL , 203 today  :)

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Wednesday 20 April 11 15:43 BST (UK) »

found the image for Elizabeth and Wililam Faircloughs marriage in the new Ancestry liverpool parish records, it has the above signature of George Cruickshank, whom is described in Williams will in 1820s as a book seller, to me it looks rather artistic with all the swirly bits underneath, could it be THE  George Cruickshank the cartoonist/illustrator ??

Offline Janchat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Wednesday 18 May 11 22:01 BST (UK) »
I have been searching, searching , searching....................   On Joseph Lyon Lloyd's marriage certificate to Sophia Eleanor Lyne, one of the witnesses is a Sophia Lloyd. So I have been working on the assumption that this Sophia is his mother. I have come across a Sophia Hone marriage to William Lloyd at Clerkenwell St James in 28 March 1775. Joseph was born 1777.
http://search.ancestry.com.au/iexec?htx=View&r=5544&dbid=1623&iid=31280_199033-00463&fn=Sophia&ln=Hone&st=d&ssrc=&pid=7885236
I have tried using ancestry and igi but cannot find any children from this union. Can you help?

kind regards Jan