Author Topic: Lloyd London Mystery  (Read 78856 times)

Offline fallingonabruise

• RootsChat Senior
  • 'bring out your dead'
    • View Profile
Re: Lloyd London Mystery
« Reply #252 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Have stopped jumping now  ;D
Hello again Tony and Monica,
I mentioned to Tony in email about that will of John Ballard, does 'late of liverpool, mean 'dead' or just , 'used to be in', but then again Elizabeth is not refered to as a 'widow of Benjamin' , so if Ben was a merchant, and he went to heligoland in 1811, then possibly died in Russia, could he have been something to do with actually sailing ships, which may be why JBL was sent to be a midshipman when he was 16?
plus I was thinking how did Elizabeth get to know William Fairclough ? customs officer =port/ships ?
so if Ben has disappeared off , Elizabeth gets friendly with William, no news about Ben as he's off sailing the world, until 1819, he's dead, and within a month shes shacked up with William , its a love story, lol
Lloyd in london, Jelfs, Cheatham, Taylor, Raistrick, Knowles, Cassidy, Blackburn, Corns, Gallagher

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Life is precious  ::) ;D  Love story it must be!

By this point (1819), Elizabeth, and son John, would have been provided for by the settlement of John Ballard's will from 1817.

I am feeling slightly rubik cubed here! A lot of new pieces now, how do they all fit?!
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline TTT

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 20:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Guys,
Glad to see some happiness.
When "late" is used in respect of a place it means †'has been recently living' but not necessarily his original or other address. This is good as it shows he came from elsewhere(Hanley!).
If it is used re a person it means deceased ie the late Mr....
The key word is "of".
What a shame they did not say Mr B Lloyd, that would have really settled it for me.

The births I have for Benjamin snr were obtained from the private books of the Baptist Church in Upton held by a retired Rev. They were in his private home. Visited there several years ago.
I did not see a Benjamin Lloyd as one of the sons. This does not mean he was not a son.
I will be going back in Sept/Oct and will try and get another look at them.
I stressed to him they should be in the Worcester records office but he was not comfortable with that.
Need one wee bit more info to get JBL as a blood relly.
Tony

Offline TTT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Re Russia,
I believe that Russia may have been an English name for Heliogland. I understand it was in Prussia or he may have been visiting real Russia and died there.
The Demark records are very good for their colonies but could not find him in census or Wills. Maybe trying to keep a low profile.
Tony

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tony

Glad to see someone as enthusiastic as Andria and I on this lot (which I have adopted as mine ;D).

We have the following details for Benjamin and wife Elizabeth Collins:

B & E  marriage 6 MAY 1802  St Michael, Worcester, Worcester
JBLís christening 22 Dec 1807 St Clement  Worcester

And hopefully other births and deaths for their children you would think given the gap at least from marriage to JBL's birth.

What would be the best way for Andria to try and get further info on these from your experience of these records for this area?

The hope is that there may be relevant witness/sponsors names that could help firm things up...

Monica

Offline TTT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 21:18 GMT (UK) »
I have found the best way is to visit the records office and go thru the parish registers of all the local parishes in case they moved around especially in Worcester city. In this case it would be Upton(hanley), Worcester, Liverpool.
If they were strong Baptists the records may be in the Baptist Chapel minute books and they are often not in the public arena. In the Upton minute books they entered each year or so the list of parishioners which was abig help. I am sure due to JBL life style he would feature in the minute books if he was not evicted from the Chapel(they called it  "REMOVED"). You could get removed for small misdemeanors particularly drinking.
Not sure if JBL remained a Baptist. The Worc office is cloded until July.
Tony

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 21:31 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the background Tony  :) Andria, does look like a personal search would be required.

Tony, is the Worcester Records Office the only custodian of these registers from what you say (thinking here of the Worcestershire Library and History Centre as a possible source of info that I was googling today for Andria)?

Monica

Offline TTT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 21:43 GMT (UK) »
A few years ago the Records Office shifted many records from their office to the Worc Library and Family History Centre.
I believe they would be at the Records Office(Archives).
Best to emailthe librarian.
Tony

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Tony :) Would be good to find a family member acting as witness to the marriage to get formal confirmation of Benjamin Jnr.'s links to the Hanley Castle family.

Monica